Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 26, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #136 of 14,263
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
My pride and joy, a Girard-Perregaux, with a beautiful pic located at . . .

http://www.watchnet.com/sales/posts/13126.html

Nice watch. A friend of mine has an older gold Rolex with brown leather strap which looks similar and is one of my favourites. Very understated.

May 26, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #137 of 14,263
That's the thing I like about the Girard. To a casual observer, it looks ok, nothing flashy, not identifiable by most people as a high quality watch.

I don't mean to be offend Rolex owners, but I've always believed that those who purchase an obviously high-end watch are partly motivated by a desire to impress others.

I prefer a more subtle approach.

May 26, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #138 of 14,263
Quote:

I don't mean to be offend Rolex owners, but I've always believed that those who purchase an obviously high-end watch are partly motivated by a desire to impress others.

Yes and no. Some people do, some don't. I have the Seadweller which you can see in the first post in this thread.
Only people who know the Rolex models recognise it, otherwise it goes pretty much unnoticed which is how I personally like it. Why do I have that particular watch? Well, I do some diving, I fly microlights and do quite a few outdoor sports that require a solid timepiece on your wrist. The Seadweller is the toughest, most solid watch I've ever encountered whilst still working quite well together with a jacket and tie. I also think it's just one of the most attractive sports watches in the world.
The other reasons are in my first post, too.

Oh, and no offense taken..
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #139 of 14,263
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Yes and no. Some people do, some don't. I have the Seadweller which you can see in the first post in this thread.
Only people who know the Rolex models recognise it, otherwise it goes pretty much unnoticed which is how I personally like it. Why do I have that particular watch? Well, I do some diving, I fly microlights and do quite a few outdoor sports that require a solid timepiece on your wrist. The Seadweller is the toughest, most solid watch I've ever encountered whilst still working quite well together with a jacket and tie. I also think it's just one of the most attractive sports watches in the world.
The other reasons are in my first post, too.

Oh, and no offense taken..
wink.gif

I agree with you, the only jewel stuff I use is a watch, but I only like sport watches, those flimsy and delicate leather strap watches, simply are not for me, I love those huge big watches, I like the ones I like, period, regardless of if others agree or not with my taste, there are some kind of Rolex IMO horrible, same as Omegas, etc.....and same as other brands, I love TAG HEUER for example, and those are huge, (I'm big also) why I do not have one? Simply I couldn't afford them, and I have another priorities now, but as soon as I can.....voila!!!!

May 26, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #140 of 14,263
When I get my Omega Speedmaster in a few weeks, that will be the jewel in the crown of my collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

In a way; it will be a dream come true. I have always wanted one, but didn't think I would be getting it this soon. Soon is a bit silly, I suppose; as I am 50 now. But; only last fall did I really get into automatic watches, although over the years I have had some nice quartz.

May 26, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #141 of 14,263
Even though you kindly indicated that no offense was taken at my Rolex remark, I do feel the need to apologize. I was insufficiently precise and much too general in my criticism.

To clarify, I was referring to those people who buy diamond-encrusted Rolexes more out of a desire to impress.

In fact, my first decent watch was a 1950s era rose-gold Rolex - quite possibly the most beautiful timepiece I've ever owned.

May 26, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #142 of 14,263
One thing I do not like are fakes. If I could afford a Rolex (and there are only a couple I even like - Explorer and Daytona), I would buy a real one. I hate fake! If it says 'Rolex', it better be a Rolex.

Just like people trying to impress - ********! I buy my watches (or anything else for that matter) because I like them. I never try to impress.

Interesting thing..... My passion in Sports is Motorsports. I love F1. Juan Pablo Montoya is now signed to wear an AP Royal Oak. There is a special edition for him. Nice watch! Not my cup of tea, however. On his wrist, it looks like a grandfather clock!! I cannot believe he actually wears it while he's driving. Ha! Oh well!! Personally; I like the way the Omega Speedy looks on Michael Schumacher's wrist!!
lambda.gif

May 26, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #143 of 14,263
Quote:

Even though you kindly indicated that no offense was taken at my Rolex remark, I do feel the need to apologize. I was insufficiently precise and much too general in my criticism.

To clarify, I was referring to those people who buy diamond-encrusted Rolexes more out of a desire to impress.

In fact, my first decent watch was a 1950s era rose-gold Rolex - quite possibly the most beautiful timepiece I've ever owned.

LOL! Not at all. The diamond encrusted contraptions are not my cup of tea, either. I was offered one by a guy in Florida one time, who'd had a custom diamond bezel made for a black face presidential. It was absolutely ruddy hideous!! I can think of no better word to describe it. I politely declined..
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #144 of 14,263
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
Here's what I have as of now. Last October, I bought my first automatic, and that is what I collect mostly now. I love their personalilty!
cool.gif

That Trias is an awesome looking watch. Lovely!!

May 26, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #145 of 14,263
Quote:

LOL! Not at all. The diamond encrusted contraptions are not my cup of tea, either. I was offered one by a guy in Florida one time, who'd had a custom diamond bezel made for a black face presidential. It was absolutely ruddy hideous!! I can think of no better word to describe it. I politely declined..
wink.gif

My friend; You and I need to get together and talk watches, and enjoy good Ales!!
cool.gif

May 26, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #146 of 14,263
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
My friend; You and I need to get together and talk watches, and enjoy good Ales!!
cool.gif

Good idea!! That's another good use for my Seadweller: doesn't conk out everytime you get tipsy and fall in the swimming pool..
lach_3.gif

May 26, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #147 of 14,263
Quote:

That Trias is an awesome looking watch. Lovely!!

Thanks! It is BIG! But; I love it! That Unitas 6497 movement has been around since the 1950s! I couldn't believe when I read that! It is actually a pocket watch movement!

And yeah! I like the Seadweller, too! You won't believe this! My wife will celebrate her 10 year anniversary with her company next March, and she will receive a Rolex (stainless steel). We found this out just last week. It is a relatively small company, and the owner really appreciates his people.

May 26, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #149 of 14,263
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGR
Thanks! It is BIG! But; I love it! That Unitas 6497 movement has been around since the 1950s! I couldn't believe when I read that! It is actually a pocket watch movement!

And yeah! I like the Seadweller, too! You won't believe this! My wife will celebrate her 10 year anniversary with her company next March, and she will receive a Rolex (stainless steel). We found this out just last week. It is a relatively small company, and the owner really appreciates his people.

Wow! That's very nice of them. Not too many companies think like that these days. My wife has a steel one and loves it. What I like is handing mine in for polishing and service now and again. Comes back like a brand new watch!

May 26, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #150 of 14,263
Quote:

Wow! That's very nice of them. Not too many companies think like that these days. My wife has a steel one and loves it. What I like is handing mine in for polishing and service now and again. Comes back like a brand new watch!

I know! It's unheard of for a company to give Rolex!

There is a TAG Heuer, I would like to have: The Steve McQueen Monaco II - I dream of this watch. The original is way out of range....if you caould even find one!!

CW2113.FC6183.jpg

'Kind of goes hand in hand with my love for Motorsports. Here's a pic of Steve McQueen on the set of the movie; Le Mans. Note the Heuer Monaco...
c.Stills_of_Steve.jpg
b.Scenes_From_Le_Mans.jpg
a.The_Chronographs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back