Watch TV?
Apr 28, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 23
I've been watching more tv than I should lately. In the past year I found myself drawn to a number of high quality anime series I never knew existed, in addition to the typical one or two sci-fi series I tend to follow at any one time. Plus the occasional Daily Show.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 23
Do I watch tv? Yes, there are a few weekly shows I always watch, and a few channels I'll watch if I'm killing short bits of time. On a regular basis? Not since I was in high school, or arguably some periods of college. Well, I guess my viewing habits go up a little when sports events I like come around (college basketball, World Cup), but that's not that often.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 23
I was quite addicted to TV before college.

Now, I watch almost none. No more mindless boob-tube for me, no sir. I'll take my mindless DivX instead, thank you
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 23
Yep. I watch "24", "Lost", "Seinfeld" re-runs (daily), and...yes...shamefully..."Survivor". That's about it, other than sports and DVDs. I can't watch the news anymore since I'm absolutely tired of every story being "Breaking News!". Total TV time per week: approximately 8-15 hours, depending on the sports/DVDs.

That's during the winter months and dramatically drops in the summer.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 23
Other than watching Ottawa Senators and occasional NBA games, I really only watch Family Guy, The Office, Arrested Development, Simpsons, and movies. There's way too much mind-rotting garbage on TV.

Edit - Thanks Tech2, I forgot about Seinfeld. Not that there's anything wrong with that :p

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 23
I don't watch much television at all. I don't watch any 'scheduled' shows, and I don't have any specific times in which I watch it.

If I happen to see my roomate watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, however, I usually cannot help but watch with him. But usually those are DVDs anyway. Television is marketed and directed towards the lowest common denominator. I refuse to take part in those events - let the middle-American overweight middle-aged soccer-moms worry about making those expensive advertisements count for companies.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 23
No I don't watch regularly for the most part.

Sometimes I tune in for news or news talk stuff but even that has been on a declining basis. My TV can go a week without being turned on sometimes.

I don't even have cable TV, it's not worth the money.

The internet has more entertainment value (and educational value in my oppinion) than TV could eve hope to provide these days. There's not a lot on TV that piques my interest anymore.

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 23
I'm really surprised at the poll results. Has TV become that bad?

I kicked the habit in 1999. It got to the point where the national news would lead with something like a celebrity divorce. Nothing personal against celebrities, but I just don't care. Between the endless avalanche of celebrity coverage and little good to watch, I turned it off.

It was one of the best choices I ever made. Began reading lots of books, took up some new hobbies, restored a truck, and got another degree, among other things.

I will watch a sports game here and there with other people. I've flipped it on a few times in hotel rooms, too. But I don't miss TV at all and can't ever see picking up the habit again. If I need non-interactive entertainment, I'll listen to the radio.

Ironically, one project I pursued was the restoration of a 1955 General Electric black and white TV set- it has vacuum tubes! And only $5! Got it working, checked for broadcast reception, then turned it off. Every so often, I'll feed it an old B&W movie off the computer for fun. Love the set (and it was a great learning experience) but it's a shame the medium has become so rotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back