Washington State International Kite Festival upcoming...
Jun 17, 2004 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KYTGuy

1000+ Head-Fier
I am a competitor, will have a prime spot on the beach, tent, adult beverages, all are welcome in my tent (may not have a chair for you, as this year there are a lot of people I know who say they will be stopping by, but if it is empty, it is yours till you leave).

Kites of every kind, 1/4 inch square, up to 50 feet at the mouth and 500 feet long, Asian & Indian style kitefighting, night fly, fireworks, ballet, kitesurfing (ever see a jetski, a good one, at full chat? Now imagine a kiteboarder surfing and flying circles around the jetski...) Flying conestoga wagons, really fast kites (some models fly in excess of 120mph in 15 - 30 mph wind) and more... Depends on the wind/weather of course...16Aug-22Aug, in Long Beach, Washington. Come as a day trip, hotels and campgrounds sell out way before now. Best days to come are the ones where the best stuff is up, or the art part of the competition...Thurs thru Saturday. Sunday the festival is winding down, and is usually over early...lots of competitors have to leave in order to get home.

Bring your family - your attendance is FREE!!

Will be happy to talk or e-mail with you if you are interested, or to answer any questions...I have been doing this since 1981.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 6
Cool, I want to see that, unfortunately it's not in Washington DC
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Just another reminder to Oregon/Washington/Western Canada - fun on the beach - great restaraunts - if you get there and see me, ask about one of the nation's best hardwarestores/outfitters nearby...This is a fun drive from just about anywhere near the northwest coast...easy to drive down early one day, stay that night across the river in Astoria, Oregon at the Red Lion just under the bridge(only thirty minutes from the Kites), then go back the next day for more fun, then leave just when you need to.

Note: Is a Romantic/Fun/kinda place to visit...

Bring your camera...

For more info, go to: www.kitefestival.com

Jul 17, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks, just what I need is another reminder of how stupid I was to move away. At least we still have one house in Seattle so all hope is not lost.

I also remember when they had charity salmon feasts out near the ocean. The fisherman would donate fresh salmon and for $7 you got an all you could eat meal. Salmon was cooked over an open alder wood fire.

Hope you have a great time. A friend of mine that lives by the lake here is into making kites. He makes some of the real big ones that you describe. Just staking them down is a task.

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Okay, so now it is the 16th.....all you arty, Birkenstock wearing, natural fiber kinda aesthetes of the Democratic stripe, all you wafflers that claim to be "Independent", and all you nerdy, artless, heartless, cruel Republicans, ALL Y'ALL (and your friends, if you have any) even those of you who have no interest in politics, are invited to my tent on the beach in Long Beach, Washington to see and play with Kites. It will be happening all week, today through Saturday all day, and a half day Sunday. Weather looks like mid sixties at night, mid to high seventies in the day, gentle zephyrs, the sand, the sun, the ART IN THE SKY...come celebrate the end of the summer.

If you find the "Big Ugly Guy", I'll promise you one adult beverage, and a bit of shade, and maybe some pithy commentary on any of a number of subjects, some of which might interest you! I might even let you speak!

Seriously, folks...if you are in the area bounded by Vancouver Canada to Lincoln City, Oregon, to the Pascoe, Washington area, it is just a few hour's drive, and well worth it. Best way to do it is to drive out one morning, and stay overnight at the Red Lion in Astoria, Oregon, or thereabouts (it is only about thirty minutes from the beach) visit the festival till dinnertime on the second day, and then drive home. I will be happy to direct you to any of a number of restaraunts, from the WORLD's Largest Hamburger (feeds about 16 HUNGRY people, and it is good!) to Michelin Guide listed or better not have upgraded your system lately, or else bring Tuberoller! Friday night and Saturday nights have FIREWORKS, and maybe if the winds are willing, some Night Fly Lighted Kites!

I will not reply till I get Back, so (even though a lot of the above was in clearly in Jest) Flame away, you will have a head start on me!

See ya on the beach!

The Big Ugly Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back