Washington, DC./Maryland/Virginia Head-Fi Member Meet - May 18, 2019 - Gaithersburg, MD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #31 of 183
I'm free, bring HD820 with hugo 1 and 2, pending how lazy I am, I might be bringing my beyer T1 first gen with cable mod.
I will definitely bring an HD800-friendly amplifier.

Might have to substitute my visit to the originally planned meeting for the smaller one, as I found out I may have a scheduling conflict for the main meet.
Dang. Was going to reply to your earlier request for HD58x, when these shipped - not likely in time for the small meet. I too have HD580, so between @SuperDuke and myself, we should have you covered.

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #33 of 183
Throwing this out there - we are also having a small pre-meet event. Why? Truth is we do this all the time, and only on rare occasion - the stars and planets align, enough folks assemble, and we can get a public space - do we have a large public meet. This small meet just happens to be in a public space. So basically for anyone who cannot make the main event, or just wants to come out and meet some of the folks earlier, do consider coming out to our small meet event:

Saturday, April 27, 1:00 - 4:00pm
Aurora Hills Branch Library
Eads Room
735 South 18th Street
Arlington, Virginia 22202

No worries. No need to bring anything - we always have stuff on hand for folks to listen to. Headphones are recommended - to hear something familiar. Beyond that, just come out to meet!
I'll come to that as well, I will try and bring The Element. I don't have much in the way of over-ear stuff atm.

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #34 of 183
The Element
That was the first solid state amplifier, which I purchased since the HeadRoom Home (discontinued in 2005). I've since come around to like tubes a little more :smile:

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #36 of 183
which Tube amp do you have ?
Though I've been into headphones like the HD650 since it was first released in 2003, I've only been on Head-Fi since 2014 - same year as someone else I see :thumbsup:

A lot of years between, when I was basically in the Dark Ages. There was history and good technology growth in those years. I'm still learning and catching up to what was, including buying a few of those things used. The amplifier I would bring was a prototype in 2011. My hope is some people, like myself, will enjoy to hear a few of these legacy things. I've definitely come to love the amplifiers from companies like DNA, EC, ECP - I will bring an EC amplifier. Some other people might bring something from DNA or ECP. We'll see!

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #37 of 183
I will try to make it. Schedule has not settled for the next 2 weeks.

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #38 of 183
I plan to be at both upcoming meets. If there is any interest at either of the two meets, I have some items to sell...

1) Excellent pair of HD800S headphones with all original components (including SE and Balanced cables) and original packaging (for $900 cash)
2) Rega Apollo CD player with remote, but no original packaging(older wider version) (for $100 cash)

If anyone has an interest, let me know so I know to bring them. You can listen before you buy.

I hope that this is not against the "rules". It seems that meets would be excellent times for such transactions.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #39 of 183
I plan to be at both upcoming meets. If there is any interest at either of the two meets, I have some items to sell...

1) Excellent pair of HD800S headphones with all original components (including SE and Balanced cables) and original packaging (for $900 cash)
2) Rega Apollo CD player with remote, but no original packaging(older wider version) (for $100 cash)

If anyone has an interest, let me know so I know to bring them. You can listen before you buy.

I hope that this is not against the "rules". It seems that meets would be excellent times for such transactions.

IIRC, the problem usually stems with venue rules if anything. I remember last time a few people were planning to make some "under the table" sales, not sure if anything ever came of that or not. I'd say the way to do it would be discreetly, maybe have the actual transaction occur outside of the building. I would be interested in the 800S, no guarantee of buying but highly interested in auditioning with a potential purchase. :)

Edit: I will add, if we are doing "sales" I would love to offer up my old K7XXs for $120. They were rarely used and only as a secondary pair for gaming. Definitely let me know if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #40 of 183
IIRC, the problem usually stems with venue rules if anything. I remember last time a few people were planning to make some "under the table" sales, not sure if anything ever came of that or not. I'd say the way to do it would be discreetly, maybe have the actual transaction occur outside of the building. I would be interested in the 800S, no guarantee of buying but highly interested in auditioning with a potential purchase. :)

Good point... I can bring these items to listen to and any transactions can happen elsewhere.

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #41 of 183
As the one who has the obligations for this venue, I can tell you that, among other conditions, we are specifically restricted from selling alcohol, smoking inside, charging a fee to attendees, having pets in the space, being excessively noisy and must return the venue undamaged and in good order.

There are no venue specific restrictions on anyone wanting to discuss and pursue a private transaction of the audio equipment we are all there for. Someone wants to buy your stuff and you like their offer, go for it.

I informally advise and represent several manufacturers but I am not paid for this representation and don't offer any of their items for direct sale at these Head-Fi meets. Most manufacturers have established retail channels to both sell their products and to take on the obligations of resolving warranty issues and the like. Some manufacturers do offer me demo samples of their product lines that have to be returned. Others offer demo samples that I don't have to return and those I gladly give to attendees for their honest evaluations and reviews for the benefit of our community.

My personal opinion is that if you are a commercial vendor, even with all of the required Maryland and local regulatory, licensing and tax collection obligations met, you will still likely be better served with doing a good demo and then offering a future discount to the meet attendees rather than selling directly. But if you want to sell the demo equipment rather than ship it back, go for it.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #44 of 183
With that clarification, Perhaps we can use this meet to bring and/or listen to items that we may want to sell or buy, still keeping it to private transactions.
Referring to the pre-meet I take it? Just a little confusing since there’s not a separate thread but if that’s your suggestion than that sounds like a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back