WASAPI - Overhyped?
Nov 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I've mostly been reading about the WASAPI plugin for foobar on here, and over at hydrogen audio. I remember in the days of XP using the likes of Kernel Streaming and ASIO (if you had a supported soundcard) and this appears to be the equivalent of this on Vista.

I decided to try it out, on the rig in my signature, so a fairly decent setup I feel.

I have seen descriptions given that state that the performance difference is "large".

I can't hear any difference at all.

In fact, the only difference I have seen is that the volume controls on my remote and on my keyboard no longer function, which I guess proves that the plugin is working and active - but overall, for having no extra sound quality at all, losing the volume controls hardly seems worth it.

I can't be the only one who can't hear a difference?

In fact I get better results from using the normal DirectSound output in 24-bit mode, using the PPHS upsampler to upsample to 96KHz to my DAC. Even then, I would not say the difference is anything other than miniscule (and I might even be imagining it).

The only plugin I've tried so far that offers a significant improvement to the sound is the Delta Noise Sharpening plugin. Even then, I'd say that although the difference is noticable, some people might not like it, particularly if their rig is pretty bright to start with (as it gives the "perception" that it is more clear / brighter).

So anyway, if I am supposed to be hearing "large" differences using WASAPI, why can't I hear ANY difference?

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 32
You could always try ASIO (and possibly even kernel streaming) to see if they make any difference. There was a clear difference between ASIO and DirectSound for me using foobar. WASAPI did not work right me, as it didn't sound the same as ASIO output.

I haven't tried it again since I've changed both DACs and computers, so I might give it another shot.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 32
Thing is even back in the day when I used ASIO or KS, I wasnt entirely convinced, but everyone said it sounded better so I stuck with it.

But as my PC has now replaced the likes of my Squeezebox, the fact that this loses me my volume control without any extra quality that I can perceive doesn't seem worth it to me.

On the squeezebox, there was an option on that to bypass the volume control, which audiophiles swore made a difference, but once again, I couldnt tell any difference.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only plugin I've tried so far that offers a significant improvement to the sound is the Delta Noise Sharpening plugin. Even then, I'd say that although the difference is noticable, some people might not like it, particularly if their rig is pretty bright to start with (as it gives the "perception" that it is more clear / brighter).

Sorry to be a little off-topic, but I've just tried out this plugin, and I'm surprised, there's really a difference (for good!).
L3000.gif

It does raise the highs, but it does so improving clarity, in a way an EQ just can't do (I've also noticed a bit more definition in the bass, less muddiness).
I'm using it at 60% right now. Thanks a lot, that's a very interesting DSP for sure.
biggrin.gif

And that's with my crappy gear, people with better stuff might have even better results.

For anyone interested, here's the link: foobar2000 3rd party components
It'll create 4 new entries in your DSP menu, only use the "Noise Sharpening" one, as the first in the list (above), and you're set.
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 32
I don't see how it could be considered overhyped. I've used directsound, asio4all and ploytec drivers, but wasapi is my clear winner.

ease of use, best sq/equal sq with no issues, and works flawlessly with foobar; latency delay is the only 'issue'.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 32
I just wanted to download this plugin, but realised it doesn't work with Foobar 1.1, then I wondered how these guys used it, and looked at the post dates.

Great job, thread necromancer.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 32
Before I started using the WASAPI plugin with Foobar, I was getting annoying glitches and other interference coming from the PC.  Sometimes it would correlate with doing something with my mouse.  Once I started using WASAPI all that unwanted noise simply stopped.  I can't say whether the SQ is otherwise improved, but just getting rid of those unwanted glitches and other noise is reason enough for me to continue using WASAPI and being thankful there is such a simple and easy to implement solution to those issues available to me.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 32
Direct Sound can work imperfectly on some computers, WASAPI is a strategy when DS is not working properly, if DS already work properly on your computer, there's no reason why WASAPI shouldn't sound exactly the same.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 32

Quote:
I just wanted to download this plugin, but realised it doesn't work with Foobar 1.1, then I wondered how these guys used it, and looked at the post dates.

Great job, thread necromancer.
rolleyes.gif

I'm using it with Foobar V.1.1.1 and it works flawlessly.  Just a heads up.  I believe I have been using it since 9.5.2.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 32
I could hear no difference whatsoever with a relatively high end speaker setup or my HD555 headphones and high bitrate files.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 32

I do hear a difference between WASAPI and DS.
WASAPI sounds slightly more transparent to me.
Note that this difference is a subtle one.
In a rapid A/B it is audible for me.

Always make sure WASAPI is used in exclusive mode.
In shared mode it sounds pretty much like DS

It is common in the audiophile community to describe small differences as ‘night and day’.  
Most of these claims, like mine, are based on some kind of subjective listening test.
The proverbial grain of salt (1 kg) is needed.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 32
Maybe I'll try and listen again a bit more critically.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 32
I have to agree that WASAPI is the output method of choice for Foobar on Windows 7. ASIO just didn't work properly as there were stutters and dropouts which didn't happen in Windows XP. I have no experience with Windows Vista.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
Before I started using the WASAPI plugin with Foobar, I was getting annoying glitches and other interference coming from the PC.  Sometimes it would correlate with doing something with my mouse.  Once I started using WASAPI all that unwanted noise simply stopped.  I can't say whether the SQ is otherwise improved, but just getting rid of those unwanted glitches and other noise is reason enough for me to continue using WASAPI and being thankful there is such a simple and easy to implement solution to those issues available to me.

x2
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back