Was thinking about 580s but...
Nov 14, 2008 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hdlovar

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure they're exactly what I want after I've browsed this forum.

Initially I came here because I had been googling for a pair of used 580's for sale and found one but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for.

The reason I was looking at this pair of cans was from reading a review about the mlg astro a40s and the author had said he thought the quality was much better on his 580s used in tandem with the a40 amp so he could still use a microphone and control the volume of other players on his headset. Plus the 580s weren't created as a pair of "gaming headphones."

Now I'm in no way a COMPLETE audiophile but I'm not satisfied with music below the 192-320kbps range (I always feel that higher bit rates seem to come through more clearly but maybe I'm just crazy) and I love listening to said music on the higher quality headphones that my friends possess. I've never owned anything more than a pair of apple 'buds so this will be a first for me.

My main question is are the 580's right for me (as my first higher-end headset) or should I look at something else?

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 580's technically open-eared headphones or are they closed and 'noise-canceling'?

Thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text.
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 17
In my listening experience I actually prefer open headphones, not sure why but makes the sound seem more natural... if that makes any sense. I could care less about noise canceling since most of the time the headphones will be used in quiet environments either alone or with people who don't care about noise coming from me / my headphones.

My budget is ~$120 could go higher but I'd rather not, money is a little tight right now.

I'm not sure what amp I'll be using, only reason I thought of the a40 ( :: Astro Gaming :: Product Detail :: A40 MixAmp™ :: ) was because it was presented in that article and it had the input for a mic plus the ability to adjust the voice levels on live.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm planning on getting an amp for ~$120 if I can find a decent one for that cheap, then I'll just wait and save some more. Could possibly make a good X-mas gift.

I listen to tons of music ranging from heavy metal to hip-hop to rock to classical. My friends have things like lower-tier sennheisers (closed), skullcanides (bass heavy I know, but better than my 'buds) and then of course the 'premium' apple 'buds.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 17
Surround gaming amp with an hd 580, that sounds like a weird combination. Are you planning to play or watch movies as well with it?

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 17
I have the 580s as my first "highish" level grade headphones.....the accuracy, imaging, and detail on them is very very good. My only complaint is a lack in bass.

My earpads are extremely worn though and I have a feeling this might have something to do with it. I will be getting some new ones in a bit and am hoping it will bring the bass to life. They are driven by a Starving Student millet...

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surround gaming amp with an hd 580, that sounds like a weird combination. Are you planning to play or watch movies as well with it?

Yeah the reason I was thinking about that amp is because the gaming that would be done with these, at least for now, would be done with a 360 console. I liked the idea of being able to control voice volume and being able to use a microphone of my choosing along with being able to use some kick-ass headphones.

I had read somewhere that you could toggle the 5.1 on and off so it seemed like it would be ok for both gaming and music until I purchased a 'real' amp solely for music, if I even find that I needed one.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 17
If this is your first foray into headphones, I'd suggest something closed, for various reasons. The DT-250 is one of the best all-rounders (amped or unamped, in the 80 ohm version) around. Add a clip-on mic and you have a great headset for gaming, too. I say this with a DT-770, HD25-1, and k271 in my current possession.

Very decent bass without being overbearing, smooth treble, and very warm mids. Not terribly pretty, but quite rugged.

You can get models with condenser mics, but that tends to add $200 to the price, and you'd need a preamp - just look for the regular DT-250-80.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 17
$200+ is out of my range, and like I said, I may have found a pair of hd580s that are within said range.

I'll look around for those phones used though, thanks for the recommendation.

Also forgot to mention, in my experience I've always thought that open-eared headphones sounded better. Since these aren't only going to be used for gaming, more for music actually, I'd prefer to have something that I've found sounds good in practice. So, I'm looking for open-eared rather than closed.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm with you, it's easier for me to like open headphones than closed ones.

HD580 is a very solid choice. Many people might disagree, but I personally think they need some powerful amps to make them really sing. $150 will only get you a portable amp.

You can get used HD595 for less than $150 or a new AD700 for ~$100. IMO, they are both better than an underpowered HD580.

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Nov 14, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with you, it's easier for me to like open headphones than closed ones.

HD580 is a very solid choice. Many people might disagree, but I personally think they need some powerful amps to make them really sing. $150 will only get you a portable amp.

You can get used HD595 for less than $150 or a new AD700 for ~$100. IMO, they are both better than an underpowered HD580.

That A40 Mixamp is really more of temporary solution since I wanna use these for a bit of gaming. Once I can get some more funds together I plan on getting a full-on amp. But for now... Ya know
tongue.gif

You think they will be DECENT enough with that amp (at least temporarily) though?

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdlovar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That A40 Mixamp is really more of temporary solution since I wanna use these for a bit of gaming. Once I can get some more funds together I plan on getting a full-on amp. But for now... Ya know
tongue.gif

You think they will be DECENT with that amp (at least temporarily) though?

If you are considering an eventual upgrade to a $300+ desktop amp (new, used, or DIY), the HD580 would be an excellent choice for gaming and music, regardless of whether you or anyone else considers it decent with your current amp. If you are considering an upgrade to a lesser amp, then I suggest choosing headphones that are easier to drive like the AD700, HD595, or RX900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back