Was it a good choice ?
Jun 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SoniMax

New Head-Fier
Hello, i hope there isn't another thread with the same question. At least i didn't find one.
So, may i ask you guys, who have a lot more experiance with professional audio equipment than me, whether my graduation gift to myself was a good choice.
I was planning on spending around 100$(shipping all the way to Bulgaria included) on a new pair of headphones.

The word that describes my attitude towards music and sound quality best is dilettante. I am not an expert at all, but i highly appreciate good sound quality.

I finally decided to step into the big boys leage, so to say, and bought AKG K240, which i saw were on sale, and i had also seen them in some articles about good quality headphones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K-240-Professional-Audio-Semi-Open-High-Definition-Wired-Headphones-Black-/351091172519?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item51beaa24a7

The price + shipping fee was about 95$

I hope this will be a huge improvement from my Canyon CNL-HP03X, which probably nobody has even heard of :D

My main question is, did i made a good choice with the AKG k240s or was there sometihng better i could have spent my money on.
PS (shipping to Bulgaria is usually about 20-40$)

Before i bought them i was wondering whether to buy one of these:
Akg K451
Sony MDR-v55
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

But at the moment the K451 and the M50 were about 110$ without the shipping fee. And the MDR-v55 were recieving very mixed reviews.
So, was it a good choice?

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 8
the akg k240 is definitely a solid headphone for the price. I've had it for about two and a half years and I still use it today when I'm looking for a lightweight headphone that can be worn for a long time with no comfort issues. The m-50 is more portable and has more powerful bass. However, being as it is closed, it doesn't offer the soundstage that the k240 can. After listening to open headphones, I find it hard to go back to closed headphones as the soundstage is usually too small for my liking.

I haven't heard the other two headphones so I can't say anything about them, though I've read that the k451 is also a good choice.

But as always, believe in your decision and you won't be disappointed. As I said above, I still listen to my k240s despite having the mad dogs. I have no regrets at all in buying this pair 
smile.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 8
  Around this price there is no better, only "as good".

But you will need an amp now :frowning2:

Would a simple Fiio E6 do the job or i will need to save up for an E11 for use with my Xperia S  or rather get some other amp+dac that i will be able to use on my pc as well because the soundcard i have is as simple as it gets.

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 8
  Would a simple Fiio E6 do the job or i will need to save up for an E11 for use with my Xperia S  or rather get some other amp+dac that i will be able to use on my pc as well because the soundcard i have is as simple as it gets.

I am starting to lean towards E07 now, as i am reading that the E11 has to be charged before used as DAC on a PC.
 lol i won't be needing a wallet anymore there won't be anything to put in it :D
The headphones are due to arrive in about 3 weeks so lets hope the amp/dac will have a shorter or similar shipping time.

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Neither the E6 nor the E11 are dacs; they're both just amps. I used to have the original E7, and though it functioned as a very nice dac, I feel that it kind of lacked a bit in the amp section. However, having tried the E17 recently, it definitely does not fall short in the amping so I'd assume the E07k wouldn't have much of a problem with the k240. Another amp worth considering in that price range is the ibasso d-zero.

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 8
  Neither the E6 nor the E11 are dacs; they're both just amps. I used to have the original E7, and though it functioned as a very nice dac, I feel that it kind of lacked a bit in the amp section. However, having tried the E17 recently, it definitely does not fall short in the amping so I'd assume the E07k wouldn't have much of a problem with the k240. Another amp worth considering in that price range is the ibasso d-zero.

the ibasso review i checked seem to praise it well but one of the cons it has

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571116/review-ibasso-d-zero-with-fiio-e7-comparison

-Battery life is 1/2 of the E7

Is too drastic to overlook.
Thank you for your suggestion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back