Was given an Audio Technica ATH-80 today...
Apr 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Coop

500+ Head-Fier
A work relation had an old Audio Technica ATH-80 Electret laying around in his workshop. He when he came across it again, he instantly thought about 'crazy headphone guy'. And this morning, when visiting him to pick up some stuff for work, he donated it to my collection. 

It must be a pretty early unit of its kind too, as the the SN is 412.

It looks pretty worn out, but it works. All that is needed to get it in working order is a good cleaning of the various contacts, and maybe re-solder one or two connections. To get it back in shape appearance-wise is going to take quite a bit more work. Aside from the desperate need for a good cleaning, the pads are gone, the leather headband is worn out and the metal part of the headband is slightly bent. The mesh on the earcups is scratched up and so is the case of the 'Electret Stereophones adapter'.

There is not much info about the ATH-80 to be found via Google or Head-Fi, maybe one of you guys & gals has something laying around? If you have digital versions of *any* document about these cans, I'd love a copy. As this is my first vintage headphone, and a pretty good one too, I'd like to gather as much info on it as possible before I attempt restoration :)

Some pics:

Mated to my Sony STR-VX30l (cans not in view, they were on my head)

Some cracks

More cracks

The pads are history (they used to be pleather)

Worn headband

And there they finally are :)

And again :)

And the adaptor, the prominent scratch is actually a dent :frowning2:

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Oct 21, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 9
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 9
I had pretty much given up on the ATH-80, because there were some deeper issues than expected.

Could you elaborate a bit, what sort of issues?

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Could you elaborate a bit, what sort of issues?

Well, I'd have to investigate, it's been 7 years since I worked on this project... Unfortunately I don't really have time for it...

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I'd have to investigate, it's been 7 years since I worked on this project... Unfortunately I don't really have time for it...

BTW do you remember what kind of power adapter it used? There is "DC 6 V in" on the box.

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Not entirely sure, but iirc there was something out of the ordinary with it. I think it was indeed 6V DC, but negative on tip and positive on sleeve.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Holy thread revivals Batman!

But thank you for your effort :)

I had pretty much given up on the ATH-80, because there were some deeper issues than expected. I still have it in a drawer somewhere in the attic. I should really give restoring it to its former glory another go...

Right now using them :)

Attachments

• 68ACFD96-34D0-4C10-8DCD-45543A04E9A7.jpeg
    68ACFD96-34D0-4C10-8DCD-45543A04E9A7.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back