Was discriminated against and refused service at an audio hi-fi store!!!!
Mar 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #106 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have similar problems here, so if Jaska has any friends other than Finns, he knows full well what you mean and is just splitting hairs.

This is a very fair comment. Truth be told, I am a minority here in Finland. I moved here six years ago. I live in a very small town where I stick out like a sore thumb. I work in a larger city full of diversity (as a teacher), and my main responsibilities involve working with international students. My whole life is pretty much about dealing with diversity. And I'm not just talking about my professional endeavors, but my own family life as well. What I am not doing is splitting hairs.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #107 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sucks that you felt you weren't treated right, but shouting "racist" on an internet forum where the guy can't defend himself is a pretty poor show imho. You don't seem to have any real proof that his attitude was a result of racism. Maybe the fella is just in a bad mood, or is simply unsociable & shouldn't be in a public-facing business, but that's a big leap from being a white supremacist. Call him out on bad service, but tread carefully with the inflammatory libel, as the latter could get Headfi into trouble (in fact, another forum I frequent would have undoubtedly already pulled this thread, and I'm kind of surprised the mods here let this kind of thing remain).

`
X3.
I was treated like that numerous times.
I don't call it racism (or any other -ism, and in my case it hardly could be). I don't think it is.
I think it is plain stupid "I feel so bored and fed-up with what I am doing i am going to ***** just anybody that comes in sight, when I think I can get away with it".
Someone like that has serious problems. Don't make them your problems.
If you don't think you can help him, just pity him and walk away.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #108 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a very fair comment. Truth be told, I am a minority here in Finland. I moved here six years ago. I live in a very small town where I stick out like a sore thumb. I work in a larger city full of diversity (as a teacher), and my main responsibilities involve working with international students. My whole life is pretty much about dealing with diversity. And I'm not just talking about my professional endeavors, but my own family life as well. What I am not doing is splitting hairs.

Ok, then fair enough, I just don't see why you defend some audio store with questionable customer service skills. I draw that conclusion from reading the link that you posted, so it's not a case of an isolated bad day, but rather a philosophy on how people should be.

If this doesn't qualify as racism, then it's the store that has to clarify its position and not the other way around. Otherwise, it is a natural human response to call something exactly what it seems to be.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #109 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sucks that you felt you weren't treated right, but shouting "racist" on an internet forum where the guy can't defend himself is a pretty poor show imho. You don't seem to have any real proof that his attitude was a result of racism. Maybe the fella is just in a bad mood, or is simply unsociable & shouldn't be in a public-facing business, but that's a big leap from being a white supremacist. Call him out on bad service, but tread carefully with the inflammatory libel, as the latter could get Headfi into trouble (in fact, another forum I frequent would have undoubtedly already pulled this thread, and I'm kind of surprised the mods here let this kind of thing remain).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, QFT, etc., etc., and so forth and so on.

Haha, what do you expect , even if that guy is a racist, I don't think he will be that idiot to say it out loud in this forum. Of course he will say he have a bad day or another lame excuse. There won't be any end on this matter, you call it on what you feel like it. I've been in Australia, I know how racism is in Australia, not as bad as being chinese in Indonesia but in regard of racism, Australia have a lot to learn from USA.

Until a 'white' and an 'asian' headfier wearing similar outfit, go into that store on different time of the day and ask for similar stuff. Then You'll guys will see his true color from how he treat each one of them.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #110 of 131
Quote:

If this doesn't qualify as racism, then it's the store that has to clarify its position and not the other way around. Otherwise, it is a natural human response to call something exactly what it seems to be.

I dislike this line of thought.

Why? Because as a racial minority in the US, it allows me to call everyone who treats me badly a racist and puts the burden on them to prove that they aren't. That's nonsense and completely irresponsible, given the weight that the racist label carries.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #111 of 131
sometimes people are just elitist pricks, doesn't necessarily mean they're racists

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #112 of 131
Quote:

Ok, then fair enough, I just don't see why you defend some audio store with questionable customer service skills. I draw that conclusion from reading the link that you posted, so it's not a case of an isolated bad day, but rather a philosophy on how people should be.

I don't believe that my take on this should be construed as a defense for the merchant, since all I've had for consideration is a sketchy story about 1) not succeeding at bartering in a high-end audio shop, and 2) getting the run-around on some SACDs. The point is that there simply isn't anything to make me truly think this has a connection with racism. If I missed some key information in the original post that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the merchant in question actively engages in racial profiling, please point me in the direction to the truth that you perceive.

For what it's worth, I just received bad service in an audio shop today (but I won't hang the merchant out to dry here on Head-Fi), but I have no reason to assume that the negative service experience had anything to do with cultural differences. As a foreigner in a highly homogeneous country like this, I'd be in for a rough life if I thought that way.

And, not to split hairs, but in my view, the most politically incorrect thing that can be read in this entire thread is the earlier comment from another poster suggesting that I may be a racist. There seem to be a lot of posters here willing to take it as gospel that the merchant is a racist, and I simply don't see that a bona fide effort has been made to establish this as a fact. The idea of any sort of Internet "witch hunt" is rather scary, don't you think?

Nyt Jaska ei jaksa
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #113 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, what do you expect , even if that guy is a racist, I don't think he will be that idiot to say it out loud in this forum. Of course he will say he have a bad day or another lame excuse. There won't be any end on this matter, you call it on what you feel like it. I've been in Australia, I know how racism is in Australia, not as bad as being chinese in Indonesia but in regard of racism, Australia have a lot to learn from USA.

Until a 'white' and an 'asian' headfier wearing similar outfit, go into that store on different time of the day and ask for similar stuff. Then You'll guys will see his true color from how he treat each one of them.

Speechless.
blink.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #114 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe that my take on this should be construed as a defense for the merchant, since all I've had for consideration is a sketchy story about 1) not succeeding at bartering in a high-end audio shop, and 2) getting the run-around on some SACDs. The point is that there simply isn't anything to make me truly think this has a connection with racism. If I missed some key information in the original post that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the merchant in question actively engages in racial profiling, please point me in the direction to the truth that you perceive.

For what it's worth, I just received bad service in an audio shop today (but I won't hang the merchant out to dry here on Head-Fi), but I have no reason to assume that the negative service experience had anything to do with cultural differences. As a foreigner in a highly homogeneous country like this, I'd be in for a rough life if I thought that way.

And, not to split hairs, but in my view, the most politically incorrect thing that can be read in this entire thread is the earlier comment from another poster suggesting that I may be a racist. There seem to be a lot of posters here willing to take it as gospel that the merchant is a racist, and I simply don't see that a bona fide effort has been made to establish this as a fact. The idea of any sort of Internet "witch hunt" is rather scary, don't you think?

Nyt Jaska ei jaksa
confused.gif

I often switch around letters when I'm typing quickly, my bad. I've also received bad service here, but it was more to do with "Don't bother us about headphone crap" rather than racism, but boy does it ever exist in this country. How else would True Finns get taken seriously?

I'm just giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. If he's steamed enough to post about it here, and there's anecdotal evidence to suggest the guy's a prick, then the OP was there, not us, and he can call it what seemed to him. People ask for more evidence, but it's not a court of law. He doesn't have to provide audio and video evidence of the situation. That's not generally asked for in most situations.

Hasn't anyone here not in AU seen Romper Stomper? Of course we're talking about a high end audio shop not run by skinheads, but still, movies like that have an impact if there's an element of truth to it. And it seems those headfiers of Asian decent who've spent time in AU are backing that up. They might, just might, know more what it's like.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #115 of 131
You know who treats T-shirt wearers right? Harley-Davidson dealers. The more grime on your jeans the better they treat you. Probably because you look like you know what the product is, you didn't just stop by to browse after the matinee of Wild Hawgs.

OK, I'll shut up now.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #117 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While Kroolism may have been treated poorly, I equally look down on playing the race card in such a capricious and unjustifiable manner.

That's fair enough if he's wrong.

Have you considered if he's right? No, not many here have. But how would he prove it to the satisfaction of those on an internet forum with eyes and ears closed? He wouldn't because every snub and slight would have other possible explanations.

Look, I don't know if it was racism or not. What I do take from the "evidence" here and from the link provided is that he's one to be avoided, and at least capable of such. Taken as a whole, I'll take the op's word over that of the store owner. If I'm wrong, then the store owner needs to take a look at even the good things said about him, and how even it mentions an elitism, combine it with the criticism here, and change what he's communicating to people.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #118 of 131
I too have had the lack of interest/courtesy from a hi-fi dealer. On one occasion I brought $1600 worth of equipment and the guy did not even smile. If I remember correctly he even sighed when I said I wanted the maple speakers when he brought out the black ones.

The second visit he was just a rude and it made me fell like sending a PM to John Dawson (Mr Arcam), who is frequently on the avforums in the UK.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #119 of 131
Quote:

That's fair enough if he's wrong.

Have you considered if he's right? No, not many here have. But how would he prove it to the satisfaction of those on an internet forum with eyes and ears closed? He wouldn't because every snub and slight would have other possible explanations.

No, I've only considered what he's posted here. A claim of racism and discrimination is an insult of the highest order. One should have some damn good backup for that claim before throwing it out there. It's precisely because there are so many other possible explanations and the absence of evidence (even in a biased post!) that I lack respect for bringing up the race card.

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #120 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of the reason i ended up purchasing my new speakers from In Living Stereo is because the folks there were incredibly helpful, friendly and patient. of course, they also sold the speakers that ended up being my favorite... but if they had been dicks, i would've taken my business elsewhere.

I demoed many items at In Living Stereo, and I didn't even end up buying from there. Regardless, they were EXTREMELY approachable, kind, and gracious people. My next audio purchase may very well be from there.

To the OP: Why don't you email this guy the link to this thread so he can see the damage he's done to himself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back