Warning for audiophiles (Xbox Series X / S)
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Twizzleshnizzle

500+ Head-Fier
This is a brief warning for anyone considering buying a new Xbox console. Sadly the Xbox Series X & S have no optical out, they also have no bluetooth functionality, and very worst of all they have no USB audio. That means the only audio you get to enjoy with your wonderful audiophile setup, is the garbled, compressed audio from the Xbox controller. Don't make my mistake if you enjoy your game audio... stick to PC or Sony. I knew I shouldn't have jumped ship.

Also the Antlion Modmic Wireless 100% DOES NOT work. What a terrible step backwards for a next gen console.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 18
For the audio, the main solution for those looking to get the most out of the Xbox Series consoles will be an HDMI passthrough box that can split audio off to TOSLINK or SPDIF. You'll find them anywhere from the inexpensive to the multi-thousand range depending on what you want out of it. Sure it'll be an inconvenience, but our demographic has never been the target.

For the mics, I'm sure folks will figure out some kind of a solution.

May 24, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 18
I would like to ask you for help, my topic is complex and most likely I will need to write a new topic ... I need to connect two sound cards (external) to the extractor, and then to the Xbox.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 18
Do you already own an audio extractor? What inputs do you need for the external sound cards?
the fact is that I'm fine with connecting a sound card, an amplifier. But! My microphone does not want to work in Xbox games, I don’t hear teammates, or they don’t hear me ... Yes, I have an extractor from Insignia, it goes from the extractor to the sound card, and then through the rca cpu + amplifier.

so I think to try to connect "MixАmp" here, maybe then the chat will work.

IMG_20210429_175141.jpg

I would like to ask you to create a topic for me, it's just that I'm here for the first time on this forum, I can't solve the problem anymore ... probably a year ... I've already started looking for people who would help me solve this.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_175459.jpg
    IMG_20210429_175459.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 18
the fact is that I'm fine with connecting a sound card, an amplifier. But! My microphone does not want to work in Xbox games, I don’t hear teammates, or they don’t hear me ... Yes, I have an extractor from Insignia, it goes from the extractor to the sound card, and then through the rca cpu + amplifier.
You won't be able to use a microphone with an audio extractor on the Xbox. The extractor does not feed sounds back in to the xbox. it only passes sound out. When gaming with friends I use a Philips Fidelio X2HR with a Vmoda Boom Mic pro connected to the controller. When I'm gaming on my own and don't need chat, then I use my better headphones through my Topping Dac and Gustard amplifier.

Your only other option is to use a modmic and have that connected to the controller, with your headphone connected to the amplifier. Not very good as that's too many cables. If you could use the modmic wireless with the Xbox then you'd be fine, that's what I did with my PS4. Sadly, Antlion have no plans no release a wireless modmic that works with the Xbox, probably because Xbox licensing costs are so high.

so I think to try to connect "MixАmp" here, maybe then the chat will work.
You could probably have an Astro MixAmp connected to the xbox, but you would still need to have a microphone connected to the MixAmp, and your headphone connected to your JDS amplifier. Another option could be a desktop microphone connected to the MixAmp, that sits on your desk (if you're gaming at a desk).

This is why the Series X/S are awful for audio.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 18
You won't be able to use a microphone with an audio extractor on the Xbox. The extractor does not feed sounds back in to the xbox. it only passes sound out. When gaming with friends I use a Philips Fidelio X2HR with a Vmoda Boom Mic pro connected to the controller. When I'm gaming on my own and don't need chat, then I use my better headphones through my Topping Dac and Gustard amplifier.

Your only other option is to use a modmic and have that connected to the controller, with your headphone connected to the amplifier. Not very good as that's too many cables. If you could use the modmic wireless with the Xbox then you'd be fine, that's what I did with my PS4. Sadly, Antlion have no plans no release a wireless modmic that works with the Xbox, probably because Xbox licensing costs are so high.
please tell me what do i need to buy to talk to people in the chat? What advice would you give me?

You could probably have an Astro MixAmp connected to the xbox, but you would still need to have a microphone connected to the MixAmp, and your headphone connected to your JDS amplifier. Another option could be a desktop microphone connected to the MixAmp, that sits on your desk (if you're gaming at a desk).

This is why the Series X/S are awful for audio.
I already agree to all the options, if only I could talk .... :frowning2:

I threw away a lot of money ... but it doesn't work :frowning2:

May 24, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 18
please tell me what do i need to buy to talk to people in the chat? What advice would you give me?
I'd buy a Philips Fidelio X2HR or Philips SHP9500 and use a Vmoda Boom Mic pro, and use it through the controller when you're playing with friends. You can't use external amplifiers like the JDS for chat.

Save the JDS for when you're playing alone and don't need chat. There's no other way.

I'd buy a Philips Fidelio X2HR or Philips SHP9500 and use a Vmoda Boom Mic pro, and use it through the controller when you're playing with friends. You can't use external amplifiers like the JDS for chat.

Save the JDS for when you're playing alone and don't need chat. There's no other way.
I have headphones that cost around £1000 a pair. I can't use them to game with friends with an Xbox. I have to use my Philips Fidelio X2HR for playing with friends and using chat, straight in to the controller.

May 24, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 18

Thank you very much ! 🤗🤝

but then I found people who use Mix Amp, and everything seems to work for them, but that's how it is for them. What do you think ? together jds ell dac 2, is Mix Amp.
8fazVVI.jpg
Screenshot_2021-05-07-06-27-28-826_com.miui.gallery.jpg

May 24, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 18
Lol, what a load of bs decisions, like seriously what the eff?! A mic is seriously required because you can't type on the Xbox like you can on PC.

But then again, Sony their logic is twisted too. I could use the PS4 of my neighbour for a few days and I have the Amiron Wirelss which has BT. The PS4 has BT built-in and guess what which error I got when trying to connect?! The BT headphone is NOT SUPPORTED!

May 24, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 18
Lol, what a load of bs decisions, like seriously what the eff?! A mic is seriously required because you can't type on the Xbox like you can on PC.

But then again, Sony their logic is twisted too. I could use the PS4 of my neighbour for a few days and I have the Amiron Wirelss which has BT. The PS4 has BT built-in and guess what which error I got when trying to connect?! The BT headphone is NOT SUPPORTED!
Modern consoles are a nightmare. Everything is about licenses and gouging people for more money (through licensing charged to third party vendors).

Thanks I got it . I was hoping that this problem could be solved. But if not, then no ..😔
Sorry to say that this is not going to be fixed. If I'd have known this about the Xbox, I would not have bought one.

May 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 18
Modern consoles are a nightmare. Everything is about licenses and gouging people for more money (through licensing charged to third party vendors).
Which is kind of bs because now we gotta find workarounds and seeing one of these workarounds, look at a mess of cables :/
S**t like that and more more of the other bs reasons and logics is what makes me to stick to the PC platform. I am horrible with controllers and the consoles doesn't natively support KB+M.

May 24, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 18
Which is kind of bs because now we gotta find workarounds and seeing one of these workarounds, look at a mess of cables :/
S**t like that and more more of the other bs reasons and logics is what makes me to stick to the PC platform. I am horrible with controllers and the consoles doesn't natively support KB+M.
I wish I'd have just stuck with PC. Sadly the graphics card market is insane now thanks to crypto mining.

May 24, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 18
I wish I'd have just stuck with PC. Sadly the graphics card market is insane now thanks to crypto mining.
And all them mining scums laughing at us how lifeless we are just because we simply wanna game and don't bother anyone else.
Sad but true. I worry about the GPU prices at MSRP when nVidia and AMD releasing their new gen GPU's seeing how some are willing to pay for the insane prices.

Chances of me buying a console is below -1000%, simply because of the mentioned audio logics, no native support for KB+M and both MS and Sony making truely r*t*rded decisions. And I don't wanna deal with a crapton of cables lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back