Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Oct 22, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #286 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blaming the problems on "fanboys" is just silly, IMO. And I've always marveled at the term "fanboy." Does that mean someone likes something. I like to eat at Chick-Fil-A. Am I a Chick-Fil-A "fanboy"? If I tell a friend Chick-Fil-A makes the best fast food, and he eats there and gets food poisoning, am I to blame?

Mikhail did a lot of bad things. It's his fault. Blaming the problems, even in part, on people who really liked the sound of his amps (and still do) and exercised their rights on a public forum to say what they believed or experienced is just plain unwarranted, IMO (and that's putting it mildly).

Do we really need to bring all of this up? If your friend had food poisoning that was linked back to the restaurant would you still go around and tell people that it's worth eating there? Would you tell your friend that he's confused, that after the tenth food poisoning case it's still a coincidence? If your friend opens up his sandwich and asks you about the green thing grazing on the lettuce would you tell him nevermind, it still tastes fantastic?

This started over five years ago. You can still find the threads about it if you want and heck, the pictures are still up: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ins...ml#post1013679

I look at that and cringe. Most of the components are not secured, the wiring and layout is completely haphazard, the soldering is amateur. You can still see rosin everywhere and there's even an electrical twist-cap in there. Then, in the face of this, people carry attitudes like this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ins...ml#post1013806

"He has enough crediability, clientelle and respect in the industry to probablly need not a dime of anyone here that doesn't seem to respect his work. Perhaps you are all right? I don't know, but atleast give the benefit of the doubt... "

That's almost word for word what I was talking about. There is more than just sound quality. Reliability and customer service are important aspects to anyone that has ever been caught on the badside of a warranty. Glossing over these problems, rationalizing them, or just dismissing them as uncredible rants of competing fanboys does a disservice to the community. It only helps the continuation of poor business practices and quality control.

nurxhunter asked why people still loved his products (sound quality and build quality) after all these years and the reason for that lies completely with the people. The extent that people carried this went far over any rational extreme. I'm not interested in bringing all this up again in specifics, I only wanted to provide nurxhunter with some context that allowed for this to happen for so long. And to me, that was because that the ridiculous behavior of people prevented valid concerns and questions being raised, discussed, and considered. Mikhail produced shoddy products, performed unsatisfactory customer service, and stole people's money. That was him, but the reason why his products remained popular for many years is something different that I cannot totally place on Mikhail. Just because somebody sells a lot of products, participates in the community, and produces amps that sound good does not mean that they should be exempt from the same scrutiny that other sellers are under. There have been many established members and merchants on Head-fi that have burned the community over the years.

This is all I'm going to say on this because this is not the thread to be discussing this any further.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #287 of 408
I'm going to let the comments made so far stand and not do any pruning but I would respectfully ask that we keep this thread semi-on topic so that it can still have some useful value to the (potential) hundreds of other SP owners out there.

[edit]I lied, personal attacks won't be allowed to stand.

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #288 of 408
Good News Post

Well I finally quit procrastinating and drove up to Brooks Berdan in Monrovia, for a check-up on my standard Extreme. After opening up the amp, the only thing that needed attention was a resistor too close to the board, raised it up a little and re-soldered it. Transformer appeared to be fine. Maybe some of these early units received a little more attention.

That's it guys, I feel much better now, I really do like this amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #290 of 408
It can't be your honor! They are all made by..........

I'm glad to hear that not every one of these amps are (potential) IEDs, awaiting the signal from . Who knows, perhaps these bad amps were intentionally damaged to kick a non-paying vendor off here. OK, gag order back in place to save the innocent.

Of course this sounds offensive. Of course it's crazy talk. Accusing someone of being guilty of complicity by making a positive comment on their amp is just as offensive and crazy.

John D, do you have a board ID? PPX3 Rev.A 2006/ Extreme Rev.C 2007 etc.? Also, did you get your transformer model? If it was wired the same way the others were found, it could still be a potential hazard but you haven't driven it hard enough to show signs yet.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #291 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news, John D. Would you mind letting us know the date of your unit (or reminding me if you've posted already)?

Sorry,

I didn't have a camera with me at the time, and did not write down any board info. But, I bought this amp in Sept. of 07 from a member on this forum, at the time he stated he was the 2nd owner, and the amp was a couple of months old. I use this amp just about every day, at least 2-3 hours at night, and more on the weekends. That makes me the 3rd owner, and I'm keeping it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #292 of 408
So as many people know, the tube sockets mikhail consistently used were
pretty much junk. But they are a non standard size, and using decent sockets
ended up being grief. Well i have found a way...
Take .025 off of them and they fit absolutely perfect.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/masp5.jpg

and the results...
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/masp6.jpg
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/masp9.jpg

trouble is, its about 6 hours of labor to dig the old tubes sockets out of there...
Worse if you have the version with the circular clip that is epoxied in...
Then you have to remove the board all the way and drill extra holes.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #293 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trouble is, its about 6 hours of labor to dig the old tubes sockets out of there...
Worse if you have the version with the circular clip that is epoxied in...
Then you have to remove the board all the way and drill extra holes.

Miles to go, before I sleep....

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #297 of 408
Here are the pics of the internal of my MPX3 Slam SE with supra transfomer. My amp has an rob in the rear to choose the high/low voltage.
Please help me to check it. Thanks for any info.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #299 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jun,

You have the same issues as mrarroyo's amp. You can see heat damage under your board.

He's got more than that, the hi/lo switch is amazingly dangerous. It's rated for ~30V and is switching several hundred volts.
frown.gif
I wouldn't turn that amp back on until I had a professional look at it.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #300 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's got more than that, the hi/lo switch is amazingly dangerous. It's rated for ~30V and is switching several hundred volts.
frown.gif
I wouldn't turn that amp back on until I had a professional look at it.

Does it seems that the transformer output much high voltage into the board than usual MPX3 and Marrayo's ? Why it use 6 parelled resistor ( rated as 2.5Kohms, 5%, 5W) and two stacked capacitor in the middle? And it seems that the 6 parelled resistors have been burnt up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back