Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Oct 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #271 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like see the power supply for that beast.

And here you go.
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/fpower1.jpg
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/fpower2.jpg

6.3 volts at 35 amperes. You actually need something this
big because of the low starting resistance of the output tubes.
So if it is a linear supply done right, it really is this big.
Otherwise you need a switcher.

My comment on the MPX3 things is that i don't think there is enough
people out there willing to pay for a correctly designed and built MPX3.

There are evidently a lot of people who want extremes, and balanced
extremes to warrant someone doing a correct build job on those.
Or a diy kit anyone could assemble.

OK, a couple of quick pics.
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/t2chassis1.jpg
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/t2chassis2.jpg
more later when i finish the tops and bottoms.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #272 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by nurxhunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one has posted more useful info. here than KG. In fact, most negative posts are simply BS; however, Dr. G's posts always provide useful information. Headfiers are lucky they can turn to him for guidance and even for repair. Kudos.

However;......

The bottom line remains:

10) Since Singlepower is dead, bashing the name is OK (no one will get sued), and bashing feels good to a handful, apparently. However, it does not explain how for so many years, EVERYONE loved EVERYTHING about SinglePower, including the soldering, component choices, build quality and most of all--sound.

Fact is, people are easy to fool, especially when they want to be. Mikhail has been called out many years ago about the reliability of his amps and the quality of his work. Most of the time, it got lost in the noise of the rabid fans that would not believe it or found ways to rationalize it. I remember many years ago going to a Head-fi meet in Chicago and asking about why there weren't any Singlepower amps. I was told that Mikhail sent two but they arrived DOA. I recall the long threads about the quality of work being done in the point-to-point wiring and how the tie downs and work was shoddy and maybe dangerous/unreliable (in response Mikhail finally went to PCB).

This has been a situation that has been developing for many many years now. But I think many people ignored it or rationalized it because Mikhail seemed to be popular, was active in Head-fi, and produced products that a lot of people felt sounded great. The fanboyism was really extreme, I can't tell you how ridiculous it got. Another factor is, how many times do people actually open up their amps, and of those that do, how many are qualified to make a judgement call on their build quality?

EDIT: Just remembered some of the RSA vs. Singlepower crap that's been pulled over the years. Dear God, how do people actually get like this? Sigh... To me, that was one of the biggest reasons why this never got the attention it deserved earlier. Fanboys of Singlepower wouldn't tolerate any kind of criticism, and anybody who laid down criticism were labeled as rabid anti-Singlepower fanboys of camp RSA or whatever regardless.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #273 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about an unbalanced board? I would buy one for sure.

It's pretty simple to do point to point and heck, if I can do it anyone can. I've already posted internal wiring shots of the amp that should make it even easier.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #274 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty simple to do point to point and heck, if I can do it anyone can.

Yeah, you've got such sloppy skillz.
rolleyes.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #277 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking, someone should start a thread /research how different paper clips "sound".

Certainly the length of burn-in will vary among the different clips.

j/k
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #279 of 408
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Plitron transformers used in the Singlepower Extreme Platinum are wired up the same way as the Hammond transformers discussed in the first post in this thread.

The dual primary taps, which are supposed to be run in parallel for 120 V and series for 240 V are split off and one is used for the HV section of the tube circuit.

The only thing used on the secondary is the 6.3 V tap. As part of the primary is being used to power the HV section, there is not enough current to supply the filaments, as evidenced by my reading 4 volts at the tube sockets.

The Plitron transformer should be replaced for safety and to get the sound out of the amp that you paid for. In the case of the amp I have here, it will be replaced with an Electra-Print transformer.

When I spoke to Jack at Electra-Print today, he mentioned that he is expecting a good sized order for some other transformers to be placed very soon. He will be busy for 4 weeks building those, so he cannot build anything else for up to 5 weeks.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #280 of 408
Plitron transformer not unsafe like the hammond, but still this is a misuse of
the transformer. At least the transformer is overspec'd enough so that it
works without overheating. Problem is many of these will have visible holes
in the chassis if you swap out to the electraprint transformer...

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #281 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikhail has been called out many years ago about the reliability of his amps and the quality of his work. Most of the time, it got lost in the noise of the rabid fans that would not believe it or found ways to rationalize it.

Fanboys of Singlepower wouldn't tolerate any kind of criticism, and anybody who laid down criticism were labeled as rabid anti-Singlepower fanboys of camp RSA or whatever regardless.

Blaming the problems on "fanboys" is just silly, IMO. And I've always marveled at the term "fanboy." Does that mean someone likes something. I like to eat at Chick-Fil-A. Am I a Chick-Fil-A "fanboy"? If I tell a friend Chick-Fil-A makes the best fast food, and he eats there and gets food poisoning, am I to blame?

Mikhail did a lot of bad things. It's his fault. Blaming the problems, even in part, on people who really liked the sound of his amps (and still do) and exercised their rights on a public forum to say what they believed or experienced is just plain unwarranted, IMO (and that's putting it mildly).

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #282 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blaming the problems, even in part, on people who really liked the sound of his amps (and still do) and exercised their rights on a public forum to say what they believed or experienced is just plain unwarranted, IMO (and that's putting it mildly).

That argument kinda cuts both ways, no?

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #285 of 408
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to eat at Chick-Fil-A. Am I a Chick-Fil-A "fanboy"? If I tell a friend Chick-Fil-A makes the best fast food, and he eats there and gets food poisoning, am I to blame?

No, but if you told everyone that you knew, that loved and purchased chicken, that Chick-Fil-A was the best chicken your ever tasted, you would be a Chick-Fil-A fanboy.

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back