Warmest DAC ?
Apr 14, 2008 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a DAC60 and like it but I am one of these who want a warm/lush source. Any other suggestions for a source that is on the warm side?

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 14
Accuphase and Electrocompaniet have a "warmer" sound compared to most other DACs I've personally tested. I don't really prefer a "warm" type of sound (I like something more neutral), but it isn't unpleasant.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 14
The Lite DAC-AH, specially w/ the passive mods is a warm source. So is the Oritek V4.1 DAC although not as much as the Lite DAC-AH. Although if I truly think about it the word should be smooth not warm.

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the lite audio dac 60 is a tube dac. Have you tried rolling tubes?

I guess I should try some of the expensive Amperex tubes .

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 14
The Electrocompaniet ECD1 have a warm sound. Imo that is...

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I'm using 1979 NOS Telsa's now. Would the Amperex be that much better? I also tried mullards and Jan-phillips and they were both too thin sounding.

I don't think changing the tubes will make a huge difference. You could change the output caps first as that's a cheaper option.

Just be careful, the PCB traces are very fragile and thus easily damaged.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using 1979 NOS Telsa's now. Would the Amperex be that much better? I also tried mullards and Jan-phillips and they were both too thin sounding.

Try Brimar or Phillips Miniwatt tubes. Both tend to be very lush and warm sounding. Tesla is by no means a warm sounding tube.

If you want to get a new DAC, Museatex Bidat or Bitstream are very warm analog sounding DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back