Warmest amp for planars?
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 24
A tube hybrid could work well but might not be warm enough. A tube OTL amp will not drive low impedance headphones well.

What amp are you using now?

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 24
I don't have any suggestions. That pair is so efficient that almost any amp would be huge overkill to the point you probably couldn't benefit from it. Is tube rolling your CTH an option?

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 24
For tubes I enjoy the Schiit Mjolnir. I've only heard with the LCD-XC with vegan pads on it. I really liked the soft sound, but it more of the sound signature of the XC than the amp that shapes the sound.

It might be worth investing in another headphone for the price of a nice tube amp. Perhaps the Ananda is just too bright for your taste. I suggest giving the Aeon Flow Open a try.

Mjolnir Link
https://www.schiit.com/products/mjolnir-1

Aeon Flow Open Link
https://www.amazon.com/MrSpeakers-AEON-Flow-Headphones-Black/dp/B0788Y58RM

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 24
Looking for a nice warm amp that isn't extremy expensive. Im using the hifiman Ananda and from what I've read tubes won't work well. Any recommendations?
This is absolute CRAP!Planars LOVE tubes,BUT NOT OTL amps..
What you need is a Transformer Coupled tube amp..Look at the wonderful little APPJ Audio PA1502 with some nice Gold Lion reissues or for a little more $ the Schiit Valhalla...DON"T waste $ on a hybrid,they simply do NOT compare to a full tube rig!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 24
Looking for a nice warm amp that isn't extremy expensive. Im using the hifiman Ananda and from what I've read tubes won't work well. Any recommendations?

I thought the Monoprice Liquid Platinum paired very nicely with the Ananda. Give that a look. If not, then the Liquid Carbon is a warmer solid state option.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 24
This is absolute CRAP!Planars LOVE tubes,BUT NOT OTL amps..
What you need is a Transformer Coupled tube amp..Look at the wonderful little APPJ Audio PA1502 with some nice Gold Lion reissues or for a little more $ the Schiit Valhalla...DON"T waste $ on a hybrid,they simply do NOT compare to a full tube rig!

The Valhalla is OTL actually. Do you mean Lyr 3 or Vali 2?

Edit to Add: OTL Tube amps can sound great with lower impedance Plannars; case in point HiFiMAN HE-500 and the La Figaro 339 OTL Tube Amp. Lots of people on here have stated the 339 is a great pairing with HE-500 and that combo pairs extremely well together. Their synergy surpasses the fact that OTLs typically do not pair will lower impedance headphones. I've built my system around both, I picked up a 339 a few years back and shortly after got a used pair of HE-500. In my system, the HE-500 sound the best out of my 339 and Gungnir D/S.

Granted, I don't have exposure to a wide range of hardware; just what I own. This setup sounds really good to me and fits my furrent tastes perfectly.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 24
Using an objective o2 and a cth right now. I do think the cth sounds a bit better.

Speaking of warmth, what are you looking for specifically? Do you find that it's too peaky treble wise or that it needs some more oomph down below in the bass department? If prior, you can buy warmer tubes like the gold lions or if you want to get a really warm sound then you can buy 6c8g adapter to 6922 and grab a Sylvania 6c8g tube. Real nice and smooth plus it'll cost you around $80-90 tops. If it's the latter then you may want to look at the amps I recommended.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 24
Speaking of warmth, what are you looking for specifically? Do you find that it's too peaky treble wise or that it needs some more oomph down below in the bass department? If prior, you can buy warmer tubes like the gold lions or if you want to get a really warm sound then you can buy 6c8g adapter to 6922 and grab a Sylvania 6c8g tube. Real nice and smooth plus it'll cost you around $80-90 tops. If it's the latter then you may want to look at the amps I recommended.

Are you meaning to use those amps in my hybrid or buying a tube like a littledot? I've used oratorys eq settings in the ananda and I think it gave it tons more excitement. I just get fatigued a bit easy because frankly I listen at high volumes.

Aug 20, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 24
The Valhalla is OTL actually. Do you mean Lyr 3 or Vali 2?
Sorry my bad,the other Transformer Coupled amp I was thinking about was the Woo WA6,I had recently come from looking at Schiit & just mixed them up..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back