Warm sounding single DD?
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zenbun

100+ Head-Fier
So I tried the ety ER2XR and really liked the sound but it was too uncomfortable, I also tried the Moondrop Kato but it was just not fun to listen to and a little sibilant so I returned it too.

I currently have the Moondrop quarks which I quite enjoy but I'm sure there's something better out there.

I think I just enjoy warm or maybe V-shaped sound signatures the most, so any other recommendations for such single DD IEMS?

Aug 10, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 17
Campfire Audio Comet. Better bass than any of the Ety's (I was an Ety user for years, including the new X series IEMs).
I am selling my Comet on eBay, and looking farther up the ladder. Let me know if you are interested in them - I can give you the eBay link or end it and sell them here for $125.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 17
Thieaudio Elixir. It has similar performance as the KATO but with a preferable tuning. Through sampling many of Moondrop's 1DD offerings, I've come to the realization that I do not like strict Harman target adherence. The Elixir is very close to the KATO's FR, but has a bit more sub-bass than mid-bass, and a more relaxed lower treble region. I prefer the fit and finish of Moondrop's (I guess) flagship 1DD IEM to be sure, but sound-wise, I prefer the Elixir. The differences are subtle but the balance is shifted from bright to warm.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 17
The Tipsy TTROMSO seems perfect for you:
-Under $100
-Mild v-shaped signature without harsh treble
-12mm power hungry DD with a great sense of 'warmth'

The only con would be that it is back-vented instead of front-vented so if you're sensitive to sound pressure and/or have tinnitus flare ups it might not be a good pick.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 17
So I tried the ety ER2XR and really liked the sound but it was too uncomfortable, I also tried the Moondrop Kato but it was just not fun to listen to and a little sibilant so I returned it too.

I currently have the Moondrop quarks which I quite enjoy but I'm sure there's something better out there.

I think I just enjoy warm or maybe V-shaped sound signatures the most, so any other recommendations for such single DD IEMS?

Most important question, what is your budget?

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 17
Sennheiser ie range. Phenomenal what they can do with a tiny DD. Cohesive, fun, and never boring

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 17
Sennheiser ie range. Phenomenal what they can do with a tiny DD. Cohesive, fun, and never boring
I looked at the graphs of some of them, they all go over the Herman curve in the highs and I have a feeling that's what was bothering me with the Kato that has that 8k peak...

Thieaudio Elixir.
Its graph looks very similar to the ER2XR, I might check it if they have free returns.

The Tipsy TTROMSO seems perfect for you:
-Under $100
-Mild v-shaped signature without harsh treble
-12mm power hungry DD with a great sense of 'warmth'

The only con would be that it is back-vented instead of front-vented so if you're sensitive to sound pressure and/or have tinnitus flare ups it might not be a good pick.
It also has that 8k peak like the Kato, I'm afraid it will be as sibilant as the Kato is.

I hope you tried the gray foams on the ER2XR. They are ugly but they are more comfortable than the flanges.
I think I tried but then it sits really outside and it was also not very comfy... it's too late for that anyway.

Campfire Audio Comet.
Uh it's a single BA iem, I don't like the sound of BAs at all, and I really doubt a single BA can sound as good as DDs.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 17
I looked at the graphs of some of them, they all go over the Herman curve in the highs and I have a feeling that's what was bothering me with the Kato that has that 8k peak...

Its graph looks very similar to the ER2XR, I might check it if they have free returns.

It also has that 8k peak like the Kato, I'm afraid it will be as sibilant as the Kato is.

I think I tried but then it sits really outside and it was also not very comfy... it's too late for that anyway.

Uh it's a single BA iem, I don't like the sound of BAs at all, and I really doubt a single BA can sound as good as DD
Lol. When I buy something to listen to, I trust my ears. I don't try my shoes on my hands when I wear them on my feet. Best of luck though searching for the best sounding device with your eyes. /Rollseyes

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 17
You should check the fine print on some of the graph sites. Many of them use a coupler that shows a nonexistent peak at 8K, and somewhere (not always easy to find) they mention that.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 17
I've never used a graph. I don't even know what they mean when I look at one. I just listen to stuff, if it sounds good, excellent.
Now I'm off to eat dinner with my feet

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 17
my warm guilty pleasure: iBasso it01x

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 17
Even though it would be extremely helpful in this instance, I can't use a brand new in box set of Kato near me for comparison because they're going to be gifted to someone. Sorry about that!

Crinacle's graph actually says that, so that means we can ignore everything between 7k-10k on his site?

It is possible that the 8k peaks you are seeing are the result of coupler resonance of the measurement rig. I find most IEMs to be too bright for my taste but that doesn't mean my hearing acuity or ear shape aren't causing insensitivity at certain frequencies. What I can say subjectively about the TTromso is that there is a healthy bass shelf and the treble presents itself as laid back without being absent. It's more of a fun set rather than a technical one.

Maybe if the jump to new IEMs seems risky, you can work with what you already have before giving up on 'em. The Unique Melody 3DT is a capable multi DD set that I own which is known to have harshness in the high frequencies. While browsing through the 3DT thread I came across this excellent post detailing how a Moondrop nozzle filter can be applied to the 3DT in order to attenuate the HF output without losing perceived detail. I ordered the 'KXXS' filters from here and they have transformed the 3DT into something I can use every day. You could try applying them to the Kato and see if the results are agreeable. :thumbsup:

Edit: Oops... I forgot that you returned the Kato. Well, it still applies to any model you end up getting.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 17
Crinacle's graph actually says that, so that means we can ignore everything between 7k-10k on his site?
I don't think it means that the whole zone is unreliable. He says he consistently gets a peak at 8k with his coupler:
"For my measurements, I have this resonance normalised at 8kHz (whenever possible)."

So if you're seeing lots of scary 8k spikes in graphs -- a spike, not a gentle curve -- you should seek additional info or impressions elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back