Warm open Headphones to accompany DT-990 Pro.
Nov 12, 2015 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NiklasBrock

New Head-Fier
Hey there.
I currently own the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pros and i drive them with the Fiio E18 (or Audioengine D1 when at Desktop).

I love these headphones, however I am not a fan of the highs when listening to rock/metal or even sometimes when listening to Soundtracks (classic).

I am looking for some open headphones which are warmer and if possible with a even larger soundstage. I listened to the Phillips Fidelio X2 and they have the sound I am looking for, so are these the way to go? or would the HD650 for instance be better for the price?

Comparing the Fidelio X2 to my DT-990 I found that the DT-990 had clearer highs and often sounded more pleasing when listening to Electronic music, where the X2's sometimes had too much bass. It was like the X2's had this "filter" which sometimes worked (colder recordings like rock/metal and classical etc.) and made the listening experience much less fatiguing.

Budget around $500

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 6
Fidelio X2 would be close to sounding like the DT990 with less harsh treble and nicer mids. I would get the HD650 if I were you. It has thick lows and very nice mids, which is why they're so popular. The treble is not harsh at all, so it'll be a much more relaxed headphone than the DT990. They are also more comfortable than the Phillips.

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 6
If you're only gonna be using E18 then I'd go with HE-400S. It's also do grillmod on it and change pads. If you're planning to invest in better gear I'd go with HD650. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 6
  If you're only gonna be using E18 then I'd go with HE-400S. It's also do grillmod on it and change pads. If you're planning to invest in better gear I'd go with HD650. 

I've never heard the HE-400S, but based on its reputation and also efficiency rating I agree with this.  You say you're getting a tube amp, be sure to choose wisely.  If you want one that is good with both high impedance headphones and low impedance headphones than the Garage1217 Project Ember should be a great choice.  If your DT 990 is 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm, and if you get the HD 650 and don't need an amp to drive low impedance cans then you can go for an OTL tube amp like the Bottlehead Crack (preferably with Speedball), Darkvoice 336SE, Little Dot MK3, or Schiit Valhalla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back