Warm desktop alternative to iFi iDSD micro BL
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

squadgazzz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there! I'm a happy owner of iFi iDSD Micro BL + iUSB 3.0 and I'd like to find a true desktop replacement for my current setup.
Things I do like in iDSD BL + iUSB:
+Warm, spacious, energetic and detailed sound;
+3D/XBass options;
+Size;
+With iUSB 3.0 it sounds like a serious desktop amp.
What I dislike:
-Single 6.3mm output.

What I'd like to achieve:
Even more addictive, maybe a bit more detailed, but still warm. A balanced output(4.4 or XLR) would be a good addition, but not necessary.

What I have already tried:
1. iFi iDSD Pro: it has much more technical, less enjoyable sound;
2. Adding iGalvanic3.0 into the scheme: again, the sound became more technical;
3. iFi iDSD Neo: not impressed at all. BL+iUSB sounds much better to me;

What I'm going to try:
1. Quad PA-One+
2. Questyle CMA-400i
3. RME ADI-2 DAC FS + which amp??
4. Sony TA-ZH1ES
5. Topping A90/D90
6. WA8 Eclipse

Any other options I have to try? May max budget is $2000

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 15
Hello there! I'm a happy owner of iFi iDSD Micro BL + iUSB 3.0 and I'd like to find a true desktop replacement for my current setup.
+3D/XBass options;
+Size;
What I dislike:
-Single 6.3mm output.

Even more addictive, maybe a bit more detailed, but still warm. A balanced output(4.4 or XLR) would be a good addition, but not necessary.

What I'm going to try:
1. Quad PA-One+
2. Questyle CMA-400i
4. Sony TA-ZH1ES
5. Topping A90/D90
6. WA8 Eclipse

Although I can't name anything specific that would suit your needs, thanks a lot for rating our BL this high :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 8, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 15
+3D/XBass options;
+Size;
What I dislike:
-Single 6.3mm output.

What I'm going to try:
1. Quad PA-One+
2. Questyle CMA-400i
4. Sony TA-ZH1ES
5. Topping A90/D90
6. WA8 Eclipse

What headphones are you using?

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 15
CA Cascade
You don't need a ton of power, nor necessarily balanced. A good Class-A amp might give you what you're after. The Singxer SA-1, Rebel amp, or Questyle might be a good pairing.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 15
You don't need a ton of power, nor necessarily balanced. A good Class-A amp might give you what you're after. The Singxer SA-1, Rebel amp, or Questyle might be a good pairing.
Thanks. And what DAC should I try?

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 15
Here I would first have a think about functionalities I might want from a DAC and money I'm willing to spend on it :L3000:
I'd like to spend at most $2000 on everything and I need USB input only. I really like the iUSB solution for regeneration and power isolation, but I want to try other companies' products.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 15
I'd like to spend at most $2000 on everything and I need USB input only. I really like the iUSB solution for regeneration and power isolation, but I want to try other companies' products.

Sure thing, I won't suggest one of ours :wink:

Your budget is rather substantial, so you can be picky :D

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 20, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 15
+3D/XBass options;
+Size;
What I dislike:
-Single 6.3mm output.

What I'm going to try:
1. Quad PA-One+
2. Questyle CMA-400i
4. Sony TA-ZH1ES
5. Topping A90/D90
6. WA8 Eclipse

My headphones, Audeze LCD2f. My preference, warm and detail. Love some bass impact and presence. Music taste is all over the place, from electronic to metal and neoclassical soundtracks.

I recently got myself a neo and I really love using this thing with my iCAN SE. I also demo'd it with a Violectric V200 and that was REAL good. I currently have both the neo and ican SE running off the ipowerX upgraded power supplies. I have to say this comes pretty close to the violectric and sounds like it's punching well above its price class. No high-mid congestion/micro-distortions, you can pick it all apart easily without detail fatigue. I listen to a very wide variety of music so an all-round agreeable sound with detail is my aim. The neo is a good DAC first and foremost, then a capable amp but nothing mindblowing. I think it needs a separate amp, like the RME.
I also demo'd the neo with a rupert neve headamp, the new burson soloist, the zen can signature, THX 789, but they don't compete with the v200 to my preferences.
In terms of ranking paired with the neo idsd and audeze LCD2f I'll put those:
violectric v200 (might have a smidge too much bite, need to demo at home at some point)
ifi ican SE + ipowerX (most accessible and adjustable sound)
rupert neve
burson soloist (it's surprisingly treble happy)
zen can tied with THX 789, maybe edging it out

I stick to warmer and dynamic sounding DACs myself, maybe consider an r2r like the schiit bifrost2. I also had a questyle CMA400i I bought 2 years ago, but I barely used it and went back to my old (much cheaper) TEAC DAC (burrbrown)+iCAN SE seperates setup. The questyle just does not bring out the macro dynamics (crescendos) and bass. It's nice and detailed, precise and seems fast, but it's just not bringing out the things I want. I'll take a wild guess that maybe to improve THD+N performance they added a strong negative feedback loop in the DAC, and that presses down the dynamic swings in the music. I once built an amp that had a neg-feedback knob to reduce noise/distortion, but you could clearly tell the effect it had on dynamics. You can tell the dynamics don't really come out even when hooking up a different amp. Sadly the 400i does not allow for analog inputs.

A DAC I've been told is a good musical alternative to the D90 is the D70s. Maybe put that on your shortlist too.

Going back to my DAC choice I opted to trade that CMA400i in for the idsd neo, because the deal was good and the bifrost2 is impossible to demo here in Europe. I don't regret it so far. The neo idsd sounds much better to my ears. More musical, much more dynamic swing, better bass, more resolving in busy passages, better spatial information, a little less fatiguing.
Another option that I hadn't demo'd was the Chord Qutest + Violectric V200. I get the feeling that pairing might be pretty great too.

Hope this helps!

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #11 of 15
My headphones, Audeze LCD2f. My preference, warm and detail. Love some bass impact and presence. Music taste is all over the place, from electronic to metal and neoclassical soundtracks.

I recently got myself a neo and I really love using this thing with my iCAN SE. I also demo'd it with a Violectric V200 and that was REAL good. I currently have both the neo and ican SE running off the ipowerX upgraded power supplies. I have to say this comes pretty close to the violectric and sounds like it's punching well above its price class. No high-mid congestion/micro-distortions, you can pick it all apart easily without detail fatigue. I listen to a very wide variety of music so an all-round agreeable sound with detail is my aim. The neo is a good DAC first and foremost, then a capable amp but nothing mindblowing. I think it needs a separate amp, like the RME.
I also demo'd the neo with a rupert neve headamp, the new burson soloist, the zen can signature, THX 789, but they don't compete with the v200 to my preferences.
In terms of ranking paired with the neo idsd and audeze LCD2f I'll put those:
violectric v200 (might have a smidge too much bite, need to demo at home at some point)
ifi ican SE + ipowerX (most accessible and adjustable sound)
rupert neve
burson soloist (it's surprisingly treble happy)
zen can tied with THX 789, maybe edging it out

I stick to warmer and dynamic sounding DACs myself, maybe consider an r2r like the schiit bifrost2. I also had a questyle CMA400i I bought 2 years ago, but I barely used it and went back to my old (much cheaper) TEAC DAC (burrbrown)+iCAN SE seperates setup. The questyle just does not bring out the macro dynamics (crescendos) and bass. It's nice and detailed, precise and seems fast, but it's just not bringing out the things I want. I'll take a wild guess that maybe to improve THD+N performance they added a strong negative feedback loop in the DAC, and that presses down the dynamic swings in the music. I once built an amp that had a neg-feedback knob to reduce noise/distortion, but you could clearly tell the effect it had on dynamics. You can tell the dynamics don't really come out even when hooking up a different amp. Sadly the 400i does not allow for analog inputs.

A DAC I've been told is a good musical alternative to the D90 is the D70s. Maybe put that on your shortlist too.

Going back to my DAC choice I opted to trade that CMA400i in for the idsd neo, because the deal was good and the bifrost2 is impossible to demo here in Europe. I don't regret it so far. The neo idsd sounds much better to my ears. More musical, much more dynamic swing, better bass, more resolving in busy passages, better spatial information, a little less fatiguing.
Another option that I hadn't demo'd was the Chord Qutest + Violectric V200. I get the feeling that pairing might be pretty great too.

Hope this helps!
Hi,
Can you please describe more details about the sound of the soloist and the zen can signature? Tks so much

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 15
Hi,
Can you please describe more details about the sound of the soloist and the zen can signature? Tks so much
Here were my quick notes I took of my impressions. I demod my own music so I didn't need an hour to get a full impression:

zen can signature: (an unfair demo with my lower impedance lcd2)
- nice and clear, bit lacking in dynamics
- not exceptional/engaging sounding,
- the bass boost is clearly aimed for the headphones it was built for and not the LCD2

burson soloist 3x
- kind of treble happy
- lows are well presented, not as nice as the v200
- the volume steps can be weird, going from 51 to 52 there's a huge step on medium gain
- lots and lots of power
- exceptional soundstage, nicely placed a bit more in front and not a circle wrapped around. Better than the v200.
- unravels the mids very nicely, but isn't very full sounding there. I prefer the v200.
- dynamic and quick, but not as much as the v200

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 15
zen can signature: (an unfair demo with my lower impedance lcd2)
- nice and clear, bit lacking in dynamics
- not exceptional/engaging sounding,
- the bass boost is clearly aimed for the headphones it was built for and not the LCD2

Thanks for your feedback! As for ZEN CAN Signature's EQ, it was made for HD 6XX but naturally works well for similarly sounding cans too :wink:

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 15
What I'm going to try:
1. Quad PA-One+
2. Questyle CMA-400i
4. Sony TA-ZH1ES
5. Topping A90/D90
6. WA8 Eclipse

I have an ADI-2 and A90 and TA-ZH1ES and the features, build and sound of the Sony make it a keeper for me, the only flaw I see with it is that's a decidedly warm amp so it won't pair well with overly warm headphones...

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 15
Hello,
have a look at the Singxer Sda 2C it has an Xlr connector,also the option to go I2S like with the Singxer Su 2 or 6.
Then there is the option of connecting your Ify via Rca Out and looking for a headphone amplifier.
Maybe take a look at the Singxer Sa1.
Another option would be to try out a tube headphone amplifier, starting with the Feliks Echo 2 as an example.
There is also one from QuickSilver, Tor Audio Rogers or Balanced, Woo Audio, Cayhin.

Alternatively, take a look at the bigger brother from Ify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back