"Warm" and "Bright" sounds
Dec 15, 2012 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Okamoto

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I'm somewhat new to the high-end world and though i already read the glossary, i'm still having some difficulty understanding what these two terms mean.

Could i say that a "warm" headphone is one that emphasizes lows and mids over treble, and a "bright" phone one that emphasizes treble over bass?

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hello. I'm somewhat new to the high-end world and though i already read the glossary, i'm still having some difficulty understanding what these two terms mean.

Could i say that a "warm" headphone is one that emphasizes lows and mids over treble, and a "bright" phone one that emphasizes treble over bass?

That is a good way of distinguishing between the two. A phone can have heavy bass but can also sound bright depending on hot the treble is - all relative. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
They can be interchangeable.  More specifically, dark relates to lack of treble and bright relates to way too much treble and lack of warmth found in bass and low mids.

And what would be that "warmth" found in bass and low mids?

That's what i'm having more trouble to understand.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 9
I always thought that, emphasis-wise, warm = bass and bright = Treble, thus dark must mean bass. But, IDK anymore as the headphones I'm following people are using opposite words to describe it.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 9
If headfi had sticky threads, this could be one of them.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back