Wanting advice for audio upgrade
Dec 1, 2002 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pearle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

It's been a year and a half or so since my last audio purchase (Grado RS-1s) and I'm considering upgrading my current system.

Source: Arcam Diva CD72
Amp: Creek OBH-11 w/ Creek OBH-2 PS
Interconnects: D.H. Labs BL-1 Silver Sonics
Headphones: Senn HD580 & Grado Labs RS-1 w/ Red Clou

I'm basically looking to replace the Creek with something that is a substancial upgrade but costs less than a grand. I would like something more engaging and lively but not too bright. Anyone have any suggestions? It would have to work well with both my HD580s and RS-1s as I listen with both regularly.

I'm also considering changing my cables (something warmer) but that's another discussion for another forum.

- pearle

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 10
Pearle,

Read this thread here Click Here to get more info on amps in this exact price range. You can also do searches on the various amps mentioned there under the amplification section and reviews to see all the particulars of what was used, music, interconnects, etc, etc.

Dec 2, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 10
If you were willing to consider non-tube amps, might want to look at a Kevin Gilmore Dynamic amp... see this thread.

Provides amazing quality sound. Was designed to be used with low impedence headphones but also works well with Senn 600.

Good luck!

Bruce

Dec 4, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the replies. Til now I've been strongly considering the Sudgen Headmaster, however this Gilmore amp has captured my interest.

Thanks again,

pearle

Dec 4, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 10
What about the Jan Meir pre-head?

Biggie.

Dec 4, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Wow, I've been out of the loop for far too long (about a year)!

To be honest, I haven't heard of the pre-head before. Guess I'll have to do some forum searching.

Thanks,

- Peter

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm currently looking at Kevin Gilmore's amp and the Sugden Headmaster. I haven't made a decision yet...I sometimes just hate trying to make one
wink.gif

- Peter

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 10
I went ahead and ordered the Gilmore amp from antness. I figure I can spend the money that would have went into the Headmaster on new interconnects.

- Peter

Dec 8, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 10
Make sure you post a review of your impressions of the amp so that all of us can learn about it and dream about getting one!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back