Wanted: Portable Amp Recommendation for Grado SR-60/80
Oct 24, 2008 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
May be putting together a little headphone system for work. The amp will run from of my computer and drive the SR-60 or SR-80. Looking for a relatively inexpensive portable amp (~$100, or less) to best fit the bill. Any suggestions?

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 5
I use a PA2V2 seems to work amazing with my 125's. I recommend using electrical tape of the bowls, if you use the bowls. That is if you like more bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Electric-Avenues.com - More About The Portable Headphones Amplifier (PA2V2)

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm not a pro or anything but I have a pair of SR-60s and bought a Headroom Total Bithead (which includes a DAC and I think is available on the marketplace right now for ~120 shipped) and honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference. When I emailed my seller (and in looking around Head-Fi), it seems that the Grados are fairly efficient and don't really require an amp to improve the sound.

I can say, however, that if you use a computer as a source, the DAC improvement was noticeable, even to my untrained ears.

Good luck!

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 5
The PA2V2 would be an excellent choice in the price range you have in mind. Plus it is on the warm side and will help tame the highs on the Grado cans. It was my first portable one and one I think of fondly.

will you be using the line out of your computer or will you be using an external (USB) dac? If you will be using an external dac you may wan to consider the iBasso P3 amp/dac. Beautiful sounding combo.

The filio is also a very nice sounding unit.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back