Wanted: good on-ear headphones
Jan 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

JJJKKK

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new here.

I'm also new for Hi-Fi audio. I've been lurking head-fi.org for some time. I'm not familiar with most tech-stuff so that's why I thought I should register and ask for some help from you pros...

I'm looking for on-ear headphones for travelling, cycling (road bikes, bmx), and for work (for lunchbreaks only basically, I work with milling machines and lathes, lots of noise).
I didn't want to bother you at first but it's hard to find some proper help from those bike-forums I have joined in. Either they say in-ear, or bose, or skullcandy. I don't know much about SC but by judging how they look and how they keep marketing them by showing who "famous" sportsman wears them and so on you should too, did not impress me much.
So yeah, here I am...

The music I listen is mostly metal.
I don't need noise cancelling.
Open headphones are on top of my list but if you know good closed ones, please tell!

I've had Koss PortaPro's before and I absolutely did hate them. They were very bass heavy and basically that was it, no mids, nothing.

I have AKG K 601's for home use and I really like how they sound and they're really comfy to wear on.
They're unfinished though, no amps yet or anything. I need to learn about them more.

I have used 'Search', so far I've understood ATH-ES7's are good?
How about AKG K 450? I know they're not quite battling in the same league with ES7 but I'd like to hear some opinions still...

Thanks and excuse my english. I'd so appreciate if someone would sort me out.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 27
Sennheiser HD650 are open and have a good reputation.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 27
AKG K81DJ (cheap) and Sennheiser HD25-1 (expensive) come to mind.
Own 'em both, love 'em both!

So basically, since you move a lot while biking, a nice clamping headphone might be nice.
The PX100 is open, but falls too often off my head while moving intensively, the K81DJ and HD25-1 NEVER have that problem

So I reckon the K81DJ, the ES7 and the HD25-1 are all great choices for the things you like
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not to insult, but did you even read what he typed?

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 27
what price range are you looking at? is it has to be straight portable on ear or can be semi portable?
X2 on HD25-1

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) the ES7 (...) are all great choices for the things you like
smily_headphones1.gif

I think those beautiful shiny surfaces will like xtreme biking
tongue.gif

I'd go for AKG K430/K450 - really good SQ for the price, well built and with good clamp.

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

I'd go for AKG K430/K450 - really good SQ for the price, well built and with good clamp.

AKG wont disappoints you, nice that you made your Choice. ^ ^

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

tongue.gif

Totally true, but hey, more bling is always welcome and you'll be sure to get peoples attention, if not with your BMX tricks, then sure with the headphones
biggrin.gif

Good luck with your choice!

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 27
Whoa thanks for the feedback!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No over-ears please.

Quote:

AKG K81DJ (cheap) and Sennheiser HD25-1 (expensive) come to mind.
Own 'em both, love 'em both!

So basically, since you move a lot while biking, a nice clamping headphone might be nice.
The PX100 is open, but falls too often off my head while moving intensively, the K81DJ and HD25-1 NEVER have that problem

Oh yeah the DJ models, I need to look after those, thanks!
Yes good clamping is important. But no big paddings etc as they tend to press too hard, that makes my head hurt (I shave my head).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what price range are you looking at? is it has to be straight portable on ear or can be semi portable?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with these terms...
I don't actually have a price range either. Maybe $100-$300?
Quote:

That's what i was thinking. Just that I've found a couple of very negative reviews about them, this one's the worst but the guy looks like a tool as well so I'm not sure what to think of it.

Once again, thank you all. You gave me so many more options I wasn't awared of.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 27
Hmm, if you really want good.. Go for HD25-1 and buy the velour pads!
If you want just good, go for the AKG K81DJ, buy the complete velour HD25-1 replacement set (something like this)
The earpads fit on the K81DJ, and use some glue to put the headband cushion to the headband, and you're set!

It'll be comfortable, cheap and great sounding!

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Hmm, if you really want good.. Go for HD25-1 and buy the velour pads!
If you want just good, go for the AKG K81DJ, buy the complete velour HD25-1 replacement set (something like this)
The earpads fit on the K81DJ, and use some glue to put the headband cushion to the headband, and you're set!

It'll be comfortable, cheap and great sounding!

Semi portable headphones are those that bigger than regular portables e.g. HD-25 1) but smaller than full size cans (E.g. HD650 or Denon d7000), and they normally comes with a shorter stock cable and detachable extension cables and a portable pouch...I consider ultrasone proline to be semi portable...
but its probably not for you since you want to wear it when Biking...
I heard so many good news about HD 25 1..do some research on it ^ ^

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJJKKK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't actually have a price range either. Maybe $100-$300?

whoa, I totally read over that!
Go HD25-1. You must. You will enjoy it, no doubt!

They're easily driven by iPods and such, they sound great with the stock cable and the steel cable sure as hell won't break due to heavy (ab)use.

Those other headphones mentioned might give you good SQ for a while, but the tiny OFC cables that come with it seriously won't survive BMX'ing.

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 27
HD25 is rugged, tough, and parts replacable. There are 2 versions the SP, I, II i think... And they sound different, there is one with 2 handband, and one with single.

just throw in some other on-ears..
Sennheiser, PX100, PX200 (Nice folding case)
Denon D1001.
Audiotechnica ES3, ES5, ES7, ESW9
AKG K171HD
Ultrasone iCans (Metal case)
Bose On-Ear

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 27
Another vote for the HD-25 and the PX100. Both great sounding phones, but the choice between them depends on whether you need or want any isolation (this refers to the phone's ability to block out ambient sound, which is different to noise cancelling).

I would imagine that if you were wearing them while biking, you'd need to hear outside noises (traffic, horns, etc) whereas for your workplace, you might want something with isolation to block out the ambient noise?

The HD-25 is a sealed/isolating headphone, whereas the PX100 is open/not isolating. From my experience, both are very rugged.
There is a significant price differential between them though, so you need to figure out what whether the difference is worth it.

As others here have said, velour earpads for the HD-25 make it more comfy and wearable at little cost.

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 27
Forgot to mention:
If you're worried about the HD-25 clamping on your head too hard, it's possible to (gently) stretch out the headband.

I did this by standing a group of books together (like on a bookshelf - the group has to be be slightly wider than your head) and leaving the headphones on them overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back