Want versatile amp under $500.
Jun 14, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
The PPX3 does seem like great value but the price difference between it and the Perreaux starts to grow when you add $35 for the 240v version plus $90 to get it to Australia. That's $585 plus the possibility that customs may want to charge me 10% duty when it gets here. The Perreax is $448 but I'm sure I can get the retailer down to $415 when I'm ready to bargain. So that's $415 for a Perreaux or $585 for a plain PPX3.
confused.gif

The PPX3 is probably the best value but my wallet may have the last say. I may leave it for a while and let the idea brew.

The PPX3 is well worth it. Once you hear your AKG 271s through one you'll never want to use another amp with them, the PPX3 brings out the bass and fleshes out the sound in the 271s very well. It's a lot of fun with electronic and rock music. Plus, as tom hankins noted, the PPX3 is built like a tank and will last for a very, very long time. If you can, I would save up for a PPX3.

Jun 15, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #32 of 54
OK, so the PPX3 is that good. Is the Solen Capacitor upgrade for an extra $65 worth it or necessary? These things reaaly start to edge up the price.

I was also looking at the Rudistor RP3, which looks like a nice headamp.

Jun 15, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Thanks for the replies.

I may be able to get the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 for US$380 from a local shop. This has the advantage of having a local supplier, no extra cost for shipping, it comes ready for 240 volts, fits nicely with my Musical Fidelity X-A100R speaker amp. But will it do the job well enough?

If you do decide to go for the X-Can v3, make sure you audition it very carefully first. I listened to one at a dealer over the weekend with my 580's, and although it sounded very, very nice, there was also some glare present, and the amp got somewhat fatigueing after only a few songs. I don't know if the unit was fully burned in, and it's also possible the source (MF X-Ray CD player) was causing the glare, but it definitely was present, so I would proceed with caution. Good luck with your choice.

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

OK, so the PPX3 is that good. Is the Solen Capacitor upgrade for an extra $65 worth it or necessary? These things reaaly start to edge up the price.

You might want to email Mikhail at Singlepower and ask him which of the upgrades are now standard. I've seen mention here that the newer PPX3's are shipping with some of the listed options included, and one of them was a capacitor upgrade (don't recall which, and I can't find the reference now).

Jun 15, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
You might want to email Mikhail at Singlepower and ask him which of the upgrades are now standard. I've seen mention here that the newer PPX3's are shipping with some of the listed options included, and one of them was a capacitor upgrade (don't recall which, and I can't find the reference now).

The solen cap is extra.

Jun 15, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Well, the hi fi sales are on now too in Sydney. Just a couple of thoughts to muddy the water. Why not go and audition some "other" competitors to the Perreaux?

For example, some "good" stereo hifi gear with headphone outs. The results might surprise. For example, the same shop that sells the Perreaux in Sydney also has the NAD preamplifier with its own independant headphone stage. And its discounted to the same price as the Perreaux. How about a truely interesting idea... a great SACD player with headphone out of acceptable quality, some discussion on Head Fi suggests the top end Sony's might fit this bill?

But maybe the best idea: Len Wallis audio will let you take the Perreaux home and try it with a full refund if it doesn't suit (ask em before you take it though). They did it for me and I liked the Perreaux a lot (it just wasn't as good as my existing amp, but it was a close thing with the Perreaux perhaps slightly better in the upper, upper treble and the NAD amp I have better in the lower and mid bass to my ear).

Cheers,

TonyAAA

I'm already using a Technics reciever for my headphones so I don't want to buy another receiver or speaker amp. I never came to head-fi thinking I would buy a headphone amp and now I'm considering a tube headphone amp. This is crazy. There are better ways to spend my income but I keep coming back for more. Maybe I'll try the Len Wallis refund option.

Jun 19, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #39 of 54
Congrats on the new amp!! You will be VERY happy with your PPX3.
icon10.gif
By any chance did you ask how much the PPX3/6sn7 was when you ordered yours?

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #40 of 54
Fantastic... cannot wait to hear what you think of it... now we gotta get a Sydney meet together (he, he, he...).

How long do you reckon you'll have to wait?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 19, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Congrats on the new amp!! You will be VERY happy with your PPX3.
icon10.gif
By any chance did you ask how much the PPX3/6sn7 was when you ordered yours?

The web site prices are current. The 6sn7 version is $549 and the 6cg7 version is $465.

TonyAAA, we may have to get a few of us together for a meet later. The PPX3 won't be here for a few weeks though.

Jun 19, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #43 of 54
The offer of a meet at my place is still there! We can wait a few weeks no worries.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 19, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
The offer of a meet at my place is still there! We can wait a few weeks no worries.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Sorry for offtopic.

If there is a mini meet, count me in. I really want to hear a tube amp.
I can bring senn650 zucable and larocco pocket reference maxed out.

maybe this deserves a thread by itself?

Jun 19, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by mneuwiueyagaobcf
Sorry for offtopic.

If there is a mini meet, count me in. I really want to hear a tube amp.
I can bring senn650 zucable and larocco pocket reference maxed out.

maybe this deserves a thread by itself?

This even more off topic....When you hear the 650/Zu through the PPX3, you are going to want one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back