Want to upgrade my SR 125's. Which Grado do I go to?
Mar 10, 2006 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

courierdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Any thoughts, folks? I love my 125's, but would like more impact in the bass, and improved clarity (as well as smoothness) in the midrange. Budget is about $300-350 (less sale/trade of 125's). Am considering SR 225 and 325i. Are there big differences between the two?

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 17
they sounded pretty similar to me when i auditioned them. 325i has noticeably more bass and it's deeper to my ears, although the difference isn't enormous. but even my non-audiophile girlfriend noticed the same thing during a quick in-store comparison. some say the 325i is brighter, i didn't notice that so much as it just sounded more refined. treble is cleaner, slightly more extended, more air. i think the 225 sounded fine though, and was pretty close the 325i. difference was noticeable, but not exactly night and day. the 225's will be good phones if you choose them, although i haven't heard the 125. but there was noticeable more refinement in the 325i to my ears, so i understood why they cost more. the difference was worth the extra $100 for me and i walked out with the 325i in my hands. 325i has metal cups, the cups on the 225 are plastic.

but i think this is a very personal choice. i'd try to audition them if you can. even if you have to drive 40 minutes to a showroom, it's worth it to know what you're getting.

do you prefer bowls or flats?

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 17
I'm in the same situation. I'm very much considering the Alessandro MS2i as an upgrade from my 125. What pads do you use on yours, by the way?

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
To get the 225's closer to 325i's put tape around the edge of the pads. This will make a better seal and give the base more punch.

Precisely what I've done on my 125's.
basshead.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 17
Go for the RS-1 and remove any seed of doubt.

You know your going to be back in a few weeks anyway asking which model u should upgrade to next. Save yourself the time and hassle.
biggrin.gif

I was going to get the sr-225 (upgrade from the MS-1) but Ive decided to hold out a bit longer and get the RS-1 instead.

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 17
Im not sure you're going to notice much difference unless you scale way up the chain. you might want to just hold off until you have enough to make a bigger leap, maybe a used RS2

I myself dont like the metal grados (except his excellency the HP2
tongue.gif
), I find them particularly gra-t-o in the high end.

but whatever you do, upgrading from the 125 to the 225 just seems like a waste of time and money to me. unless you've heard them both and think the improvements are worth it. personally, the only grados i like are MS1, HF1 and RS1/MSpro
eek.gif
and all with flat pads of course!

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aufeuer
Precisely what I've done on my 125's.
basshead.gif

Yes, more punch, but less definition.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 17
The MS2i is an excellent headphone. Smoother, IMO, then the other Grados (minus the RS2, RS1). Less grit, more guitar twang, really punchy, not as shrill.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

First off, I use the supplied bowl pads that came with my 125's, and I have a set of flat-pads ordered and on the way. I like the bowls just fine for fit and comfort, but wanted to see if the flats will bring up the bass a notch.

I am not able to audition different Grado models; unfortunately, my closest dealer is a 4-hour one way drive to the Greater Metropolitan Toronto Area and time doesn't permit me a full day trip.

I think the RS 1's are way out of my price-range (even used); RS 2's may be a good option, eventually...but I'd really like to have something that I can enjoy and afford, now. I've been leaning towards the 225's, because they have been favourably reviewed by many (including many HeadFi members), plus they seem to be the most modifiable (or is it the most modified?) of the Grado line.

I will keep a lookout for deals on both. As far as peoples' suggestions for the Allesandro MS-2...I'm not familier enough with the line. From everything I've read and seen on this site; they appear to be modified Grado's, but I have no clear details about how they have been modded, or how/where to buy them. I have done websearches...but seem to keep coming up with artwork. LOL!

If this Allesandro has a website that someone knows of, I'd appreciate the posting of a link. Cheers, all...and thanks!

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 17
Mar 11, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Here's the product page for Alessandro headphones:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

IMO, it's not worth it to upgrade to a SR225 from a SR125, because the drivers are the same. The only thing different is that the grill has been changed to increase airflow by 50%. Sure, there are definite improvements, but you'll see a much bigger improvement if you move further up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back