want to try out vinyl
Jan 20, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #16 of 38
I'm in Adelaide
smily_headphones1.gif

yeh I visit stereonet, haven't seen any cheap phono stages lately but I'll keep checking
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleemv1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in Adelaide
smily_headphones1.gif

yeh I visit stereonet, haven't seen any cheap phono stages lately but I'll keep checking
smily_headphones1.gif

me too X 2. I recognised your user name earlier.
maybe place a wanted ad there. never know what people have in their cupboards.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

what do people think of the Cambridge Audio 540P in comparison with the Nad PP2? and is it worth going for the more expensive CA 640P?

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

The best budget phono stage if you have been around a soldering iron or 2 is the battery powered Hagerman Bugle although batteries aren't for everyone and the kit does not include a case. For a little higher budget you might look at the Pro-ject Phono Box II. It may not be quite up to the Bugle in SQ but it's circuitry is a little more sophisticated than the PP2 or 540P. The case, MC, and plug in capability are all worth something also. More money will get you a 640P which is roughly equal to the Bugle in SQ and a great deal for what you get. A higher budget will get you a Pro-ject Phono Box SE II which is the only recommendation here that may rightly claim to edge out the Bugle in SQ. It may seem kind of expensive but there are much more expensive units around that are not as good. Any of these 4 units are a good deal. The choice comes down to how much you want to spend.

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 38
thanks for those recommendations. I'll decide between the 540P and the Phono Box II I think. Maybe the 640P. Not sure if I want to spend over $200 yet. Not sure how serious I want to get into vinyl haha. thanks again

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a little higher budget you might look at the Pro-ject Phono Box II. It may not be quite up to the Bugle in SQ but it's circuitry is a little more sophisticated than the PP2 or 540P.

Are you sure about this? the Cambridge is class leader in almost every review I've seen with a lot of people saying it compares favourably to much more expensive stages like the Naim? It seems to be measurably quieter than most things in the budget stakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More money will get you a 640P which is roughly equal to the Bugle in SQ and a great deal for what you get. A higher budget will get you a Pro-ject Phono Box SE II which is the only recommendation here that may rightly claim to edge out the Bugle in SQ.

As far as I am aware the Cambridge 540 is the same as the 640 without the MC stage? If you are using an MM cart it should be identical so it will depend more on whether you want to get an MC at some time in the future or not.

In the UK anyway it's not much more expensive either but I guess you'll have to just weight this up in terms of value for money depending on local prices. These are all pretty capable and I would spend as little as possible since phonostages are a bit of a rip off in terms of the impact they make on sound quality compared to cartridges say.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 38
Hi memepool: The Cambridge 640p is more than just a 540P with an added MC stage. It also contains better MM circuitry. I suppose Cambridge markets their gear this way because they feel that most of the people buying this stuff are probably just going to use a MM cartridge anyway and offer the better sound to everyone only in the higher priced units.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #23 of 38
That's odd. The price of the 640p seems to have increased as well? it used to be about 10-15% more expensive than the 540p, now it's almost 40% more in the UK...
So maybe they've improved it or else it's the exchange rates with China causing costs to go up...

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #24 of 38
Hey guy,

Just got my new cartridge and stylus. I've been reading up a bit on how to change over the cartridges. At the moment I believe I need to remove the tone arm to take out the old cart and install the new. Once I've done that I'll need to calibrate the cartridge using a protractor? I've got a few different templates to follow. Which one should I use? I have the Baerwald, stevenson and official rega template.

Thanks

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

what do people think of the Cambridge Audio 540P in comparison with the Nad PP2? and is it worth going for the more expensive CA 640P?

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

640p is really REALLY good! I have a Linto and a 640p and they are closer than I like to admit to myself.

Denon DL-160 MC High Output is very highly rated!

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

I believe I need to remove the tone arm to take out the old cart and install the new.

you can probably get away without removing the tonearm although it is very straightforward. Just be sure to leave the stylus guard fitted until you've got the cart roughly aligned with the bolts secure but loose enough to move the cart around in the headshell slots. It just requires a little patience while you do it.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #28 of 38
I just watched a vinyl set up video. 21st century Vinyl or something and noticed that with my tone arm and cartridge, the original user put the nuts on the top of the tone arm instead of underneath. It's gonna make taking the cartridge out harder than it should be...

Jan 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #29 of 38
It's a half a dozen of one / 6 of the other kind of issue as whatever you do you need to either hold the bolts underneath or get the screwdriver in there unless you take the arm off.
So you will either need to get a miniture spanner or some electricians pliers to hold the tiny bolts, or else a miniature screwdriver. You can get these cheaply enough but it's worth buying non magnetic ones in the long run for when / if you get an MC cart.
Rega's own carts and other more expensive / modern ones have threaded lugs which is definitely the way to go....

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #30 of 38
yeh, I should be able to get them out. I think the at95E have threaded lugs beacuse they include screws with no bolts to go with them (and screws with bolts).

Thanks for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back