Want to transfer LPs to hard drive but confused by choices...Help
Feb 25, 2006 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mike16w

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking around a few users groups lately trying to fine a good sound card (internal or USB) that I can use to transfer my LPs to my hard drive so I can play them through my Squeezebox. I already have a tube phono preamp and a good Audio Note amplifier. I want something that sounds very good but I don't need any additional bells and whissles. I have looked into the EMU 0404, Waveterminal U25, and some of the M Audio gear. I really don't want to spend over $200 - $300 on the soundcard. What should I buy????? Also, what software would you recommend using to remove the pops out of the records without killing the life out of the music.

Thanks for any help.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 7
Letting you know right of the bat - it is a time consuming process. You will have to clean the records and then tranfer them to your comp and then remaster them. It is very time consuming but the results are worth it. Just ask recstar24 - he has heard one of my LP remasters.

Anyway - the sound card I use - surprisingly - is a sound blaster audigy 2 platinum pro. I get very good results with that. I then use Cool Edit and various other plug-ins and filters to remaster. I de-click by hand. Take your time. Have I mentioned how time consuming it is?

EDIT: I would post before and after samples but I don't know how to host such files.
frown.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 7
I think if you're going spend the time necessary to transfer your LPs to digital you're probably going to want to invest in a better analog to digital converter than what you'll find in a soundcard. Given your price range I'd say the best option would probably be to use an Edirol UA-5 as your a/d converter and connect it to your computer via the the USB out.

For recording I like WaveLab and Soundforge, both are expensive programs but I believe they have a fully functional trial period. Cool Edit Pro is also a decent program, it doens't have as many bells and whistles but it's probably a bit more user friendly.

On a side-note it would probably be a good idea to try recording your LPs in 24 bit with a higher sample rate than standard CD (48khz or 96khz). You can use the high-rez audio to create DVD-A discs and then afterward you can resample to 44.1khz and dither down to 16 bit.

Feb 26, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 7
I appreciate the information and a starting direction. I know it will probably be time consuming but I have a lot of great records. I have already cleaned most of them with a Nitty Gritty record cleaner but I can also see that editing the copys will take time, especially starting out.

Thanks

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, late with my reply ... but for anyones intrest

Presonus Inspire (~200$) - http://www.presonus.com/inspire1394.html
Features
- 24-bit/96k A/D/A sample rate
- Four simultaneous input channels
- Two microphone/instrument preamplifiers
- Switchable line input or phono input(with RIAA filter)
- Software Control Panel and zero latency mixer
- Window XP and Macintosh OSX compatible

Also,
- here is a "new method" described to "tranfer vinyls into bits" - http://www.enhancedaudio.com/newway.htm.

some LP-->CD tips - http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

Question:
Does anyone here play un-renovated LP-rippings with realtime restoration processing by using a DX/VST plugin (like Bias Soundsoap) on Foobar/Winamp?

jiitee

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Given that it's been recommended as an excellent recording card in its price range ($200), I'm surprised that noone has mentioned the 1212m yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back