Want to build some sort of Desktop Amp
Mar 5, 2006 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

napol30n

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have any links to a kit or something? I live in Canada so shipping on every part seperate would suck.

EDIT:Okay i found this cool site digikey.com so now i think i can just buy the specific parts there.
I also did some research and a PIMETA seems to be the best amp for $100ish so if anyone has a list of parts for a PIMETA that would be wonderful. If anyone has one tweaked for a 595(if this is even possible) that is even better.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 12
The amp would be for something like Sen 595. The amp can be big its just going to sit on my desk so im not going to pay extra for portability.
Im willing to spend whatever is the best bang:buck. I'm looking to spend $100ish but i could maybe spend up to $170ish

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 12
From Tangent's site:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/pimeta/

Scroll down for a parts list and step by step instructions...
Then thank Tangent
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 12
the kookaburra is a very good kit for the price. it should be in the performance range of a pimeta and includes nearly all the parts you will need. i am nearly finished wiring mine up for use as a preamp/headphone amp so i can't compare with my pimeta or millett. i believe tilt posted recently about building one and using with senns.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by americandreaming
the kookaburra is a very good kit for the price. it should be in the performance range of a pimeta and includes nearly all the parts you will need. i am nearly finished wiring mine up for use as a preamp/headphone amp so i can't compare with my pimeta or millett. i believe tilt posted recently about building one and using with senns.

Actually, in terms of being used a headphone amplifier, it's basically a CMoy with a digital stepped attenuator instead of a potentiometer. It drives headphones directly from an opamp, a la the CMoy. Nice piece of kit though

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 12
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell

I LOVE this quote!

about the kook, it does what its supposed to. Like american dreaming said, its a good place to start a DIY.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt
about the kook, it does what its supposed to. Like american dreaming said, its a good place to start a DIY.

Absolutely, I was going to get one for a play with too. Russ is a really nice guy to deal with as well

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 12
AD8620AR for left/right and AD8610AR for ground is recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back