Want to build inline volume control
Oct 11, 2009 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

earthpeople

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, I'm looking to build an inline volume controller. More specifically, I want to make an adapter thing that allows me to control each channel separately.
Something like this;

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/40/exampleq.png

I would split the incoming cable into left and right, then merge them again upon exit. The only thing I'm not sure about is what to use to control the volume. Is it as simple as wiring a pot in each channel?

On top of that, I would prefer to make this pretty small. Looking around online though (at places like mouser and digikey) I can't really tell how big the pots are. Can any offer me some help on how to figure it out or point me to some good small potentiometers?
Ideally, I would like to be able to fit everything into a altoids gum or small altoids tin.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 5
It seems to me that most Pots are placed before the amp instead of after...
I assume that there is a reason for this....

In any case, yeah, it's pretty much as simple as you say..
two pots (can be mono pots), and you're done.
The pot that people use for the CMOY would work fine.., but I am sure there are smaller and cheaper options than that, that would work for this purpose.
Maybe a sliding pot?

in any case, why would you need such a thing?

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Someone posted the other night asking if there was such a thing.
I thought about it and figured that I would be able to make one. Sometimes one ear is more sensitive and it sounds unbalanced.

I guess it could be convenient to adjust the volume without having to remove the player from my pocket if I put a clip on it or something.

In any case, thanks for replying. I'll take a look at the one typically used for CMOYs.
Any other recommendations are welcome. Sliding or rotating doesn't matter much, but I think a rotating one would be easier to drill a hole for.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 5
if you really need an inline volume control (I'm against using one) get two small pots (available on mouser.com) or you can recycle the inline volume control in a pair of ksc75's or another pair of inline volume controls. It should cost at most 10 bucks to put everything together. If you use the ksc75 pots, you might be able to make it pretty small, maybe even house it in a 1x1.5x1 box

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back