Want the HD650, where can I get it with good cable ?
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 20
I personally still stand by the Cardas cable as my standard. Tried silver dragon, blue dragon, equinox, and some fine diy flavors. Out of all of them I feel the cardas is the most balanced with sound, comfort, price(excluding diy) and satisfaction. Avoid stiff and or overly thick ridiculous cables (those 18gauge monstrosities) because no matter how blingy and (in my opinion cheap) looking, they feel horrible on the head. I couldn't even stand 22 gauge in nylon types...

As for the sound, I personally can't say much between them because I don't seem to hear much difference, but I know I have top notch cables so it gives me piece of mind that it won't be the weakest link. Also avoid spliced solutions (like the equinox was)... I don't get what the hype is over that cable.

In the end it's up to you. Maybe for me I prefer cable from an established audio cable company, as opposed to some one man online thing built with diy-ish parts with a major pricetag- but, the only Best cable is the one you end up liking. As for the cardas/hd650 combo you can get it at HeadRoom.

If you want to go thought what I did, then your best bet is to buy the headphones new then buy the cables used so you don't lose much money to try them all. Some mfrs also have return policies for the cable, so just try them and stick with the one you can live with.

Just my 2cents. I don't even hear the differences between reasonably made cables anyway. Curse audiophiles for building up paranoia and cable dependence
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking about getting it from moon audio with the silver dragon or the blue dragon
I think the blue is better for me, it has more low and bass that I love

What do you think ?

I thought you were the one with gs1000? They didn't satisfy your needs? I am just curious.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

I love the GS1000
BUT
I also have the HD595, and it seem like the HD is much more comfortable for me
Also, I love Shinn for many kind of music
And beside, I love trying different stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too but in the end my hd600 has overthrown rs1 , k701 and k501. The cardas do great with my hd600 but unsure of hd650. I had the hd650 stock and didn't like them much so i sold them.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Why buying the HD600 when you have the 650 ?
Isn't the 650 better?

I listen mostely to Rock,Metal and classic (with a lot of tools)

Hmm abit hard to explain... When I had the hd650 a year ago , it was together with the rs1 and k701. The sound in hd650 seemed overly smooth , dark and had more bass than I would like to have. A month ago , I went to a store and listened to hd600, hd650, ad2000 and dt880 on ec/ss and original master cdp. My favourite can turned out to be hd600 so I bought them as a compliment to my other cans. With the cardas, the hd600 became my main and only headphone.
Everything in hd600 sounds at the right amount. Not bright , not too smooth, enough amt of bass, not too forward, pleasingly warm for all music, no peaky treble etc.... Regardless how good/bad is your recording, hd600 can still sound pleasing. It might not be as clear as 701 , as engaging as rs1 or technically as good as gs1000, its an excellent allrounder.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 20
I love BASS, and smooth, so I guess I will go for the HD650
Beside, I have heard them on the past, kind of love them
smily_headphones1.gif

It wasn't with a very good amp and with the stock cable
I am sure that with the better cable and amp it will be much better
Not ?

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 20
I spent 350 bucks on an after market cable and im not even sure I like it better. One thing that was upgraded when the 650 replaced the 600 as Sennheiser's top dog was the cable, its nicer than the OEM unit for the 600. I highly recommend spending that money else where in your system. If not then get 200 bucks worth of music. The problem is they all will change the sound of your headphones in one way or another. Unless you have stacks of cash sitting around so you can try out lots of different cables then it is a loosing battle. One other thing is when you ask people what cable to buy they all want to tell you what model to get but rarely will they tell you why? "Get the So And So cable just because"
angry_face.gif
Even if you do find one with Synergy then you are only talkine about a 10 or 15 percent difference or there abouts, it will never be night and day.

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

So, why every one seem to agree that a better cable will improve the SQ of those headphones ?

I think olblueyez point is that the money is better spent on your source. Unless you already have a good CD player or DAC, as well as a good amp, your money is better spent on those items.

Dec 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Hi
I want to get the HD650
And I know that the stock cable isn't that good
So
What is the BEST cable for it ? (not XLR for now)
Also, is there a place I can buy it both as a combo ?

I find the stock cable quite acceptable - some people even use it with their HD580/HD600 or HD25.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 20
The stock cable of HD650 is not bad. I use Zu Mobius with my HD650, it has better treble, clarity, detail, and warmer female vocal. It makes HD650 sounds a little less recessed, and bass is tighter. The level of difference between Zu Mobius and stock cable also depends on your amplifier and source.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 20
I forgot to mention Enigma Audio Oracle cable. This cable is better than HD650 stock cable, everything is a bit more forward. Mine required burn-in, unlike my Zu Mobius which sounded the same from day one. I think Oracle uses Sennheiser connectors, so they fit perfectly into HD650. This cable has a solid feel to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back