Want help finding headphones for me
Jun 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Derpeng

New Head-Fier
First of all, hello , i'm new to the world of audio.

I found this forum looking for a new pair of headphones, now that my old Siberia v2 gaming headset broke down. keep in mind, I am not an audiophile, never experienced true audio quality in headphones yet. I'm now looking for some kind of higher end headphones with good music listening quality. To now i've been really interested in the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 S with its price and amazing reviews (and because it's rated as the #2 best valued over-ear headphones), but seeing how people lightly complain about the bass, it worries me a bit, as I often listen to  bass based music (old hip-hop, rap, dubstep etc.). So keeping those preferences in mind, are there anything better within a reasonable (+$40-$50) pice range. Directional audio would also be a plus as I play quite a lot of FPS games (TF2, BF3, BC2).

TL;DR: any better headphones than ATH-M50 S within its price range, especially with the bass.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 6
The M50s are a very good set of all arounders when you can get them for $125 or less. That doesn't mean that there aren't other headphones you might enjoy more.

So what's your actual budget range since we don't know what price you are looking at for the M50s?

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 6
well living in Norway the prices are a lot more than $125. but I set a budget @~$175-$200 but will stretch higher if anyone knows any headphones that's worth paying more for.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 6
People in the EU have had good luck finding the AKG K550s at very good prices (for instance, £148 on Amazon UK). I would describe them as closer to neutral in their bass response than the M50s, but they respond well to EQ bass boost. They also have a much better soundstage. Their main downside is that many people have trouble getting a good seal, which is important for getting good bass out of them. Here's a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back