Want a new 'budget' portable rig.
Apr 4, 2008 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking to put together a 'budget' portable rig. I have a total budget of just over 200.00. Have any recommendations for me?

For a player I've really come to like the Sansa Clip. Its simple, cheap, and apparently sounds pretty good. Any others I should be considering at the under 100.00 mark?

For phones, I want another decent set of IEMS. If I went with the clip I was thinking of getting some Super.Fi 5 Pro's. I've had them before and quite liked them.

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd probably go with Clip + ER-4P

lol, i would think that the er4p would run him out from his budget point.

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Price isn't that huge of an issue. That said, the er4p are out of the question. I had a set before and found them too hard to insert/remove to be practical for this kind of use.

The Atrio M5 has also been considered, I just dislike the design i ngeneral. Too plasticly for 150.00 canal phones.

I'm mainly considering the Super Fi 5 Pro or q-jays. I really prefer the replaceable cable and extremely durable build of the Super.Fi but I also realize at this point that it is starting to get a little outdated.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not if he bought one used. I bought a pair in brand new condition for $125. He could buy a clip and still be under his budget.

I'm not sure how you mean they're hard to insert and remove. They're much easier to insert and remove than the Super.fis, especially with Shure foamies on them. They're also much easier to carry around.

Apr 4, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if he bought one used. I bought a pair in brand new condition for $125. He could buy a clip and still be under his budget.

I'm not sure how you mean they're hard to insert and remove. They're much easier to insert and remove than the Super.fis, especially with Shure foamies on them. They're also much easier to carry around.

I've had both, and with my ears the Super.Fi was much easier to get a good seal with. The ER-4P are simply out of the question for me. I didn't dins them at all comfortable and I don't like the sound.

Apr 5, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, if that's the case, unless you want to go with one of the midrage Shure models, the SF5Pro are about your only choice in that price range, no?

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 11
What about Denon C551 + Sony A818 if you are in US? Many like the A818 and C700 combo. The C551 is also very good too. The C551 is on sale now a little less than $70 from Amazon, and the A818 is ~$130 + tax after coupon from sonystyle.com. Both will cost you around $200.

Note that Sony A818 plays video too but it doesn't have FM radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back