Want a Chance to Invest in a Headphone Manufacturer?
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #106 of 132
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #107 of 132
Reading some of the posts at sitejabber and I’m not sure how much credit I can give the “reviewers.” Crowd funding ratings are usually highly skewed by bad reviewers being more motivated to rate than good reviewers.

But yah; my whole concern with DCAudio’s effort is Start Engine. That is why I’m only giving what I can afford to lose.

All the best

Well doing a little bit of research, here's what I found.

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/startengine.com#:~:text=StartEngine has a consumer rating,as expected by some customers.

I'm not sure if DCA is the one I should be worrying about. Any opinions guys? I was about to sign up but after learning I have to show my passport and other details I paused for a bit and did some googling.

is

Well doing a little bit of research, here's what I found.

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/startengine.com#:~:text=StartEngine has a consumer rating,as expected by some customers.

I'm not sure if DCA is the one I should be worrying about. Any opinions guys? I was about to sign up but after learning I have to show my passport and other details I paused for a bit and did some googling.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #108 of 132
Reading some of the posts at sitejabber and I’m not sure how much credit I can give the “reviewers.” Crowd funding ratings are usually highly skewed by bad reviewers being more motivated to rate than good reviewers.

But, yeah; my whole concern with DCAudio’s effort is Start Engine. That is why I’m only giving what I can afford to lose.

All the best

is

I think someone here also pointed out the 3.5% rate. Anyway could DCA have chosen a better platform or website?

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #109 of 132
All crowd funding sites get bad ratings. This is because the backers often never end up getting anything for their investment, and the company walks away with the money.

While StartEngine is crowd funding, but not for the backing of new products, it is no different from the above in that the company can simply fold and walk away with your money.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #110 of 132
I hear ya.

Could DCA found a better avenue? Sure, but I am second guessing a MBA.

If one only chips in what they are not afraid to lose, and investments are ALL a gamble, ultimately it will be Dan’s problem to collect.

The low reviews I read were from investors. My PoV is that crowd funding buyers (or investors in this case) ”pays their money and takes their chances.” It is the companies involved in these transactions that REALLY stand to lose. As an example: I’d be out $300 if Start Engine is a swindle while Dan could lose clout, reputation, standing, farther down the steam a bunch of money, and maybe his business.

Investment is a gamble at all times, one the investor tries to navigate and mitigate. I don’t think it too risky to invest a cautious amount in the land of kilobuck cables.

I think someone here also pointed out the 3.5% rate. Anyway could DCA have chosen a better platform or website?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #111 of 132
I don't get how NVDIA is an infant company when they have been making gpu's for more than decade now.
Well no Nvidia isnt infant, but isnt elder just yet, they’re still young. Hell I remember the great war between them and 3dfx, the dust settled, nvidia devoured 3dfx’ badly managed corpse, most companies exited the general gpu biz or folded and little Ati was left behind. However Nvidia could still fall prey to the same thing that ultimately sank 3dfx, if they’re not careful. They’re quite arrogant, given Radeons are power hungry flamethrowers that are more jittery than I am on 3 energy drinks+coffee. Especially given a new player is entering the area(again) that people are laughing at now, but could surprise them. Intel. However he is right that deep learning AI will drive them higher, automated cars or not.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #112 of 132
Interesting that we can talk about Valuation on here, best of luck DCA receiving funding.

You never know, a solid plan has to be laid out to penetrate the larger market. Be it, bluetooth IEM/speakers etc. whatever appeals to people who enjoy sound and not necessarily audiophiles.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #113 of 132
That is why I’m only giving what I can afford to lose
That's all anyone should ever invest. No one in finance can emphasize enough that past performance is not indicative of future returns. It can sometimes be so, until it isn't. And when past performance stops indicating future returns, that's when you're glad you didn't budget for anything to come out of those un-guaranteed returns.

I mean, even my savings account isn't giving me exactly the returns I expected 6 months ago. My savings account, beyond being federally insured place to park funds, can't guarantee an exact amount of returns based solely on past performance, let alone a more complex investment.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #114 of 132
This is utterly fascinating... it's like a screeching Karen episode of Mad Money. Does Amazon, Google of Facebook pay a dividend? Do you guys stand outside the local convenience store and harass people buying lotto tickets?

Disclaimer: I've never owned any of Mr. Clark's products and probably never will.

Further Disclaimer: I'm not investing in this either. But if I were a fan of his products, I possibly would. Doesn't the Green Bay Packers, Inc.'s have a system like this? I don't recall anyone taking them to court or filing SEC complaints for this nefarious and poor investment ("hurr durr durr, they repo'ed my foam cheeshead because of my worthless investment! That was junior's inheritance! I'm going to go OD on brats and Miller!"). I'm going to guess most of them are happily voluntary "investors" which ostensibly is one of the goals here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 3, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #115 of 132
This is utterly fascinating... it's like a screeching Karen episode of Mad Money. Does Amazon, Google of Facebook pay a dividend? Do you guys stand outside the local convenience store and harass people buying lotto tickets?

Disclaimer: I've never owned any of Mr. Clark's products and probably never will.

Further Disclaimer: I'm not investing in this either. But if I were a fan of his products, I possibly would. Doesn't the Green Bay Packers, Inc.'s have a system like this? I don't recall anyone taking them to court or filing SEC complaints for this nefarious and poor investment ("hurr durr durr, they repo'ed my foam cheeshead because of my worthless investment! That was junior's inheritance! I'm going to go OD on brats and Miller!"). I'm going to guess most of them are happily voluntary "investors" which ostensibly is one of the goals here.

no one forcing anyone to do anything, we are giving our .02 cent, just like you are. Again comparing this company to like of fortune 500 companies is completely asinine. Those company have absolutely nothing to prove as they have proven themselves over the years and are the top dogs, this company is not.

Is this not commonsense to people? why do people keep making these comparison?

That's all anyone should ever invest. No one in finance can emphasize enough that past performance is not indicative of future returns. It can sometimes be so, until it isn't. And when past performance stops indicating future returns, that's when you're glad you didn't budget for anything to come out of those un-guaranteed returns.

I mean, even my savings account isn't giving me exactly the returns I expected 6 months ago. My savings account, beyond being federally insured place to park funds, can't guarantee an exact amount of returns based solely on past performance, let alone a more complex investment.

keyword is investment, which is more than what you are alluding to, gambling. If what you are saying is true then Hedge Funds manager are all making $50k a year trying to get by.

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #116 of 132
keyword is investment, which is more than what you are alluding to, gambling. If what you are saying is true then Hedge Funds manager are all making $50k a year trying to get by.
Well, I don't invest based solely on a company's financials and the possibility of turning assets around for a quick profit, if that's what you mean. In fact, 95% of my money is in index funds that track the broad market. I play around with some money because I work in accounting, my capstone class was on financial statement analysis in college, and I LIKE to follow the market and play around to see if I can beat it, as a sort of hobby. I have gotten it in one year so far out of four, and it was not the way I'd planned to do it. So believe me, I know playing markets is a fools game, just like gambling.

That said, I see the broad market as a good investment over a period of years or decades. You just can't bank on having your money exactly when you need it. So from the time it goes in to the time you pull it out, the only safe way to budget is to budget as if you're never going to have it back.

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #118 of 132
Thank you everyone for the support! Even though this was obviously controversial to some, the investors are voting and we're now #1 ranked among the new campaigns on Startengine, and the project has exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 29, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #119 of 132
People investing seriously know what they are doing, hopefully everyone here understands the risk investing outside the market. Really if you want to be safe, I've been told index funds beat mutual funds overrall.

I love the DCA Aeon RT so much I decided it was worth a set of headphones to support a company I like. I don't know if I'll make a lot of money or not, maybe they'll 100x or something suprising. If I break even after inflation I'll be perfectly happy though.

I'd rather put aside some for my future with a company I like. Hedge the risk by starting small and seeing how it feels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back