Wanna buy a 1200, and all my records?
Jan 30, 2008 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SweetAdeline

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there. I hope this is in the right place. If not, feel free to move it.

I'm a vinyl noob so this may be elementary. I have a Technics 1200, and so far, I've really been enjoying my humble setup. I played a few records last night, with no issues. Then tonight, I went to play a few more, and set the needle down, and it didn't move. I don't know what changed, it appears to be making contact with the record, but it won't move off the place I set it on. I have a Shure M97xe if that helps at all. Edit: Perhaps noteworthy, I've been messing around with the height and it doesn't make a difference.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 9
A couple of things to check - make sure the armlift is going down and releasing the arm onto the album. Make sure you still have a stylus! Make sure your anti skate is not set too high (although I doubt that it is possible for it to hold the arm on a record...) Is your turntable level? Is your tracking weight correct? Can you freely move the arm across the record or is there resistance.

Hope you can solve this problem!

Todd

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of things to check - make sure the armlift is going down and releasing the arm onto the album. Make sure you still have a stylus! Make sure your anti skate is not set too high (although I doubt that it is possible for it to hold the arm on a record...) Is your turntable level? Is your tracking weight correct? Can you freely move the arm across the record or is there resistance.

Hope you can solve this problem!

Todd

Thanks for the help. Prior to me changing the height, there wasn't resistance moving across the record. Now there is a slight bit depending on where I set the height at.

I checked and the weight is correct and the anti skate is low (same as I had it when it was working.) I didn't consider it not being level. I'll have to look into that. I also didn't consider my stylus not being there, ha, but luckily it is, especially since it is relatively new.

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Indeed the table was a little off of level, unfortunately after leveling it, nothing changed. Anyone want to buy it?
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 9
So... Almost as soon as I got this problem figured out, another one comes up.

It's playing music, but I can barely hear it with my amp on full blast. I thought my preamp had failed, but unfortunately that wasn't it. Then I replaced the interconnects from the pre-amp to the amp, and that didn't do it. Could it be my turntable's RCA cables are bad?

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... Almost as soon as I got this problem figured out, another one comes up.

It's playing music, but I can barely hear it with my amp on full blast. I thought my preamp had failed, but unfortunately that wasn't it. Then I replaced the interconnects from the pre-amp to the amp, and that didn't do it. Could it be my turntable's RCA cables are bad?

So, I stumbled upon a nice Talking Heads record this weekend at a garage sale, and I remembered that I still had this piece of junk turntable, but it still isn't working, any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back