Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jul 28, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #3,451 of 3,631
Yes they are all 100+ ohm players, you can mod them adding resistors, I want to do it to the z1 and Walnut v2 but have not gotten around to it yet, the problem is the volume pot has a tendency to get too loud too quick, this is why I suggested that z3, it's also 100ohm but it has a lot better volume control for sensitive iems like the zsr, I can't use zsr on z1 or Walnut v2 as players, distortion and volume is too much, they work like amps better but still you have to turn volume up past 35-40 percent and at that point they get a bit of hiss. It's better in the z3, less hiss and lower volume

I'm not sure whether I tried using my V2 as a USB DAC, before I disassembled it (and it's not reassembled, yet).
But, the Z2 & Z3 will both work as a USB DAC on Windows 10 PCs, using the driver that's provided in the OS - so you don't have to install a driver (which is handy, when you don't have Admin rights to install drivers on a work PC).

One issue I have with the Z3, is that every time I get the settings the way I want them - if I use it as a USB DAC, when I unplug it (whether I turn it off first, or not), the settings all revert back to default - which means an Asian language on the display. So, I've memorized which Menu item I have to select, and which sub-Menu item will change the language back to English.

On any of these DAP/DAC/Amps - you should be able to reduce the gain of the op-amp circuit, by soldering 10KΩ - 15KΩ 1/4W resistors across pins 1 & 2, and pins 6 & 7 of the op-amp socket.
I know this mod works on the Walnut F1 amp (on the op-amp, not the differential line drivers for the Balanced output).

Jul 28, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #3,452 of 3,631
Yes they are all 100+ ohm players, you can mod them adding resistors, I want to do it to the z1 and Walnut v2 but have not gotten around to it yet, the problem is the volume pot has a tendency to get too loud too quick, this is why I suggested that z3, it's also 100ohm but it has a lot better volume control for sensitive iems like the zsr, I can't use zsr on z1 or Walnut v2 as players, distortion and volume is too much, they work like amps better but still you have to turn volume up past 35-40 percent and at that point they get a bit of hiss. It's better in the z3, less hiss and lower volume

So does that mean that if i use them as usb DAC/AMP , they will have hiss sound on the lower impedence iem?
May I know what do you mean by distortion and volume is too much when you use zsr on those as players? Is players the same as using them as dac+amp?

I'm not sure whether I tried using my V2 as a USB DAC, before I disassembled it (and it's not reassembled, yet).
But, the Z2 & Z3 will both work as a USB DAC on Windows 10 PCs, using the driver that's provided in the OS - so you don't have to install a driver (which is handy, when you don't have Admin rights to install drivers on a work PC).

One issue I have with the Z3, is that every time I get the settings the way I want them - if I use it as a USB DAC, when I unplug it (whether I turn it off first, or not), the settings all revert back to default - which means an Asian language on the display. So, I've memorized which Menu item I have to select, and which sub-Menu item will change the language back to English.

On any of these DAP/DAC/Amps - you should be able to reduce the gain of the op-amp circuit, by soldering 10KΩ - 15KΩ 1/4W resistors across pins 1 & 2, and pins 6 & 7 of the op-amp socket.
I know this mod works on the Walnut F1 amp (on the op-amp, not the differential line drivers for the Balanced output).

If i'm not mistaken, lowering the gain of the op-amp circuit != lowering the output impedence right?

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #3,453 of 3,631
So does that mean that if i use them as usb DAC/AMP , they will have hiss sound on the lower impedence iem?
May I know what do you mean by distortion and volume is too much when you use zsr on those as players? Is players the same as using them as dac+amp?

If i'm not mistaken, lowering the gain of the op-amp circuit != lowering the output impedence right?

I may not have any IEMs that are as sensitive as the ZSR, but I haven't heard any hiss with any of my IEMs (12Ω - 80Ω), when using these budget DAP/DAC/Amps.

The output impedance is determined by the value of the resistors on the circuit board, that are in series between the output pins of the op-amps, and the output jacks.
NOTE: There will also be output series capacitors, so you'll have to trace the circuits from the jack, or the op-amp, to find the series resistors.
These devices have 100Ω series resistors.
If you want to reduce it to ~9Ω, you can solder 10Ω 1/4W resistors on top of the 100Ω resistors.

Reducing the op-amp circuit gain, just allows you to turn the Volume pot up more, so that it's operating in its more linear, and better channel tracking range.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #3,454 of 3,631
I can't use zsr on z1 or Walnut v2 as players, distortion and volume is too much, they work like amps better but still you have to turn volume up past 35-40 percent and at that point they get a bit of hiss. It's better in the z3, less hiss and lower volume
Thanks for the post. I've never heard (or maybe I forgot) that some IEMs are too sensitive for Z1, V2, etc.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #3,455 of 3,631
Thanks for the post. I've never heard (or maybe I forgot) that some IEMs are too sensitive for Z1, V2, etc.
Yes but the hiss is minor most noticable when watching movies, the bigger problem is when using as a dap, volume is way to high

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #3,456 of 3,631
Hi, excellent review REALLY appreciate the detailed info especially regarding Foobar2000. Very, very helpful and am awaiting delivery of a V2s right now. I wanted to ask where on Foobar2000 is it possible to change the sample rate? I'm most likely missing something or cannot see it however I have really looked and cannot find a way to change the sample rate (yet)!. I'm converting FLAC > WAV (for a MicroSD ready to play when I get the V2s) and all my FLACs are 24bit/96KHz and I need WAV 16/44.1 or 48. As mentioned, I can change the bit rate but not the sample rate.

Cheers and thanks again for the information/your review - so helpful!

T.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #3,457 of 3,631
I may not have any IEMs that are as sensitive as the ZSR, but I haven't heard any hiss with any of my IEMs (12Ω - 80Ω), when using these budget DAP/DAC/Amps.

The output impedance is determined by the value of the resistors on the circuit board, that are in series between the output pins of the op-amps, and the output jacks.
NOTE: There will also be output series capacitors, so you'll have to trace the circuits from the jack, or the op-amp, to find the series resistors.
These devices have 100Ω series resistors.
If you want to reduce it to ~9Ω, you can solder 10Ω 1/4W resistors on top of the 100Ω resistors.

Reducing the op-amp circuit gain, just allows you to turn the Volume pot up more, so that it's operating in its more linear, and better channel tracking range.
You're right, hissing was from source I was using, sorry about that, but either way, they do distortion a bit with low impedance iems, specially if listening on louder volume as a dap. No distortion with high impedance buds or cans

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #3,458 of 3,631
Hi, excellent review REALLY appreciate the detailed info especially regarding Foobar2000. Very, very helpful and am awaiting delivery of a V2s right now. I wanted to ask where on Foobar2000 is it possible to change the sample rate? I'm most likely missing something or cannot see it however I have really looked and cannot find a way to change the sample rate (yet)!. I'm converting FLAC > WAV (for a MicroSD ready to play when I get the V2s) and all my FLACs are 24bit/96KHz and I need WAV 16/44.1 or 48. As mentioned, I can change the bit rate but not the sample rate.

T.

add a resampler when encoding/converting.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #3,460 of 3,631

T.
But the V2s handles FLAC perfectly fine, the V2 however doesn’t. No need to convert the files at all.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #3,462 of 3,631
Hi, might be a old topic, but I have just gotten V2s wanted to try it, I have FLAC files, but anyone has like a manual on how to add the music onto the micro SD card, I have seen the tutorial of the V2 , but the V2s like someone said it reads FLAC files? I have tried to make folders to see if it would jump to the next folder of music but it would not, and it is all FLAC files too. When skipping to the next folder the music would just jump to the beginning of the song and would not go to the next music folder. Do I just add all the music onto the SD card? Thanks in advance, and any help will do thanks

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #3,463 of 3,631
Hi all,i'm new to this dap/dac thing,would like suggestion from u guys on a few things... I'm currently torn between walnut v2s and xduoo x2,i would like to know,which of these two i should buy,a few friends suggested for me to get a higher end player in the form of x20,shanling etc,but i'm on a thight budget and i don't want to rush into things,and would prefer to start with an entry level player and to learn and understand slowly on dap's and what not.Base on your experiences which is the better choice? Fyi i'm currently using kz zs3,which of these two is more suitable for iem and i don't care much for display screens,it's a plus if it has one but my main choice would be playbacks and the sounds.Thanks

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #3,464 of 3,631
Well the Walnut is really powerful, I don't know much about the xduoo X2, but allot of people really like the X3 especially rockboxed, it's a bit more but you could pick it up used, I love my little Walnut but I don't use it as a player with low impedance iems (dangerously loud, more distortion, specially anything with balanced armature) as an amp it's pretty good, and a deal for that price but if only want a player, and will be using it with low impedance iems then you might want the X2 or save up for a rockboxed X3, but some people like it with low impedance buds and iems, i would stay away from fiio, terrible u.i. crashed and froze all day, I haven't personally tried allot of xduoo but I remember the X10 sounded really good

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #3,465 of 3,631
Hi Team

I bought my walnut v2 back in february or march, since then my lifes been pretty hectic and i havent had time to sort through this whole thread. I just dusted this player off and plugged my headphones in, still sounds great to me..... Once issue, no hold feature... is there something i can do to add a hold button? have software updates given a hold feature? My v2 is the 3 buttno version... or do i need to go shopping for a different player?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back