Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 26, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #3,392 of 3,631
edit: also does your z2 also gets warm when used for long hours?
yeah just use it for a week and look back again, it will definitely improve. it will sound less metallic and more airy, refined. at least to me this is what i heard.
DAC Line Out is a massive improvement over my laptop output but laptop inboard sound is ridiculously bad.
and yes, all my dedicated daps, the zishan included get warm/lukewarm after extended use.
To me, it sounds better than my FiiO M3 and sansa clip. I dont have many budget DAPs.
you could still roll op amp btw! easy way to upgrade the sound
zishan/walnut have output impedance of 100ohm so it will sound better with higher impedance earphones.
get some cheap high impedance earbuds off aliexpress. K's 300 looks good, HE 150pro is what i use, you can also find yinman, puresounds, etc...

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #3,393 of 3,631
yeah just use it for a week and look back again, it will definitely improve. it will sound less metallic and more airy, refined. at least to me this is what i heard.
DAC Line Out is a massive improvement over my laptop output but laptop inboard sound is ridiculously bad.
and yes, all my dedicated daps, the zishan included get warm/lukewarm after extended use.
To me, it sounds better than my FiiO M3 and sansa clip. I dont have many budget DAPs.
you could still roll op amp btw! easy way to upgrade the sound
zishan/walnut have output impedance of 100ohm so it will sound better with higher impedance earphones.
get some cheap high impedance earbuds off aliexpress. K's 300 looks good, HE 150pro is what i use, you can also find yinman, puresounds, etc...

well its a good thing to know that there is an improvement to the sound, after the burn in ill try to a/b test it again to my laptops inboard sound it might have an improvement idk but maybe ASUS cared about in the sound department, coz all of the products i bought with them has a good built-in dac. planning in changing opamps but im still trying to find stocks here in my place. and about buying cheap high impedance earphones, i think i have so much headphones right now it might be difficult for me to use them all at once, so ill think ill pass for now, maybe ill buy when 1 or 2 of my cans break.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #3,394 of 3,631
I bought the walnut v2. There's sometimes a static noise when I touch the player while in amp mode, it happens without touching as well. How do I fix it?

It's probably an older version and does not support usb DAC. But when I connect it to my laptop's USB, windows recognizes it as a sound device, but the sound does not work. Is there any way to get the USB feature to work?

From where do I download firmware updates? is there any guide to install them?

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #3,395 of 3,631
I bought the walnut v2. There's sometimes a static noise when I touch the player while in amp mode, it happens without touching as well. How do I fix it?

It's probably an older version and does not support usb DAC. But when I connect it to my laptop's USB, windows recognizes it as a sound device, but the sound does not work. Is there any way to get the USB feature to work?

From where do I download firmware updates? is there any guide to install them?

One good source of info - https://www.facebook.com/groups/WalnutandZishanEnthusiasts/

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #3,397 of 3,631

This is kinda late but Ive just realized my laptop have the SoniceMaster from Asus, maybe thats the reason why the sound reproduction from my laptop are quite good.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,398 of 3,631
I'm a late adopter, having just received my Z2, only to realize the Zishan Z2 thread has been closed. I hope you'll indulge my question here, since they have similar output levels.

I'm presently using Monk plus and enjoy the way they sound. I do have fit issues, as the left bud always falls out. For that reason, I am looking for an inexpensive IEM, hoping for a better fit. I've read all the Walnut, Zishan, KZ, buds, and Chinese in-ear forums, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

It has been said that low impedance IEMs do not sound right with the stock Z2, and that BA IEMS don't sound good with it either. I found an IEM with 96 Ohms, the QKZ DM300. Can anyone with a Walnut or Zishan confirm that the DM300 sounds good with the Z2, or even that it sounds better than low impedance IEMs? All this impedance stuff is Greek to me -- all I want is a cheap IEM that has a sound signature close to that of the Monk plus (I know - apples and oranges). If the DM300 is not good, can anyone suggest a known (maybe KZ) IEM that sounds good with the Z2?

@DBaldock9, I would appreciate your opinion on this. Also, how do the VE Biggies sound with the Z2?

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #3,399 of 3,631
I'm a late adopter, having just received my Z2, only to realize the Zishan Z2 thread has been closed. I hope you'll indulge my question here, since they have similar output levels.

I'm presently using Monk plus and enjoy the way they sound. I do have fit issues, as the left bud always falls out. For that reason, I am looking for an inexpensive IEM, hoping for a better fit. I've read all the Walnut, Zishan, KZ, buds, and Chinese in-ear forums, but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

It has been said that low impedance IEMs do not sound right with the stock Z2, and that BA IEMS don't sound good with it either. I found an IEM with 96 Ohms, the QKZ DM300. Can anyone with a Walnut or Zishan confirm that the DM300 sounds good with the Z2, or even that it sounds better than low impedance IEMs? All this impedance stuff is Greek to me -- all I want is a cheap IEM that has a sound signature close to that of the Monk plus (I know - apples and oranges). If the DM300 is not good, can anyone suggest a known (maybe KZ) IEM that sounds good with the Z2?

@DBaldock9, I would appreciate your opinion on this. Also, how do the VE Biggies sound with the Z2?

I don´t know if you ever find in ear monk, except in ear monk version.. :D
But I can recommend you Blitzwolf ES1, the combo is stellar, if you poke bass vent, you will get flat bass (and believe me these graphene drivers can produce the snappiest bass I´ve ever heard :xf_eek: )

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #3,400 of 3,631

With my DAPs that have a higher output impedance (Shanling M2s, Walnut V2, and Zishan Z1 & Z2), I've found that my lower impedance (<32Ω) earbuds, and multi-balanced armature earphones seem to have a bit less low-Bass quantity (however, the quality is still very good), than with my DAPs & Amps that have a low output impedance. The low-Bass on the higher impedance earbuds (>64Ω), and most of the dynamic driver earphones, doesn't seem to vary much, from DAP to DAP.

Since I've had my VE Biggie & Smalls, I've also had my Z2 stacked with my Walnut F1 amp, using the Balanced 2.5mm TRRS output.
Currently, my Z2 has a Burson V5i Dual op-amp [$34.50] installed, but I don't think I've modified anything else in it.
This afternoon, I connected my VE Biggies to the Power Output of the Z2, and listened to the music tracks on the Chesky Ultimate Headphone Demonstration (2014)(24-Bit / 192-KHz FLAC) from my PC, using the Z2 as a DAC.
I'm currently listening to some of my favorite music, including vocals by Joanne Hogg, of Iona, the UK progressive Celtic rock band, on their album Open Sky (2000).
The Biggie has a warm sound, with elevated Bass, and the upper Midrange and Treble seem a bit recessed - but I noticed this when using my Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, as well. (NOTE: My hearing only goes up to ~13.5-KHz.)
With the Volume knob installed on the Z2, so that the white stripe is straight up for OFF, the Biggie is almost too loud, when the knob is turned 90°.

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #3,401 of 3,631
With my DAPs that have a higher output impedance (Shanling M2s, Walnut V2, and Zishan Z1 & Z2), I've found that my lower impedance (<32Ω) earbuds, and multi-balanced armature earphones seem to have a bit less low-Bass quantity (however, the quality is still very good), than with my DAPs & Amps that have a low output impedance. The low-Bass on the higher impedance earbuds (>64Ω), and most of the dynamic driver earphones, doesn't seem to vary much, from DAP to DAP.

Since I've had my VE Biggie & Smalls, I've also had my Z2 stacked with my Walnut F1 amp, using the Balanced 2.5mm TRRS output.
Currently, my Z2 has a Burson V5i Dual op-amp [$34.50] installed, but I don't think I've modified anything else in it.
This afternoon, I connected my VE Biggies to the Power Output of the Z2, and listened to the music tracks on the Chesky Ultimate Headphone Demonstration (2014)(24-Bit / 192-KHz FLAC) from my PC, using the Z2 as a DAC.
I'm currently listening to some of my favorite music, including vocals by Joanne Hogg, of Iona, the UK progressive Celtic rock band, on their album Open Sky (2000).
The Biggie has a warm sound, with elevated Bass, and the upper Midrange and Treble seem a bit recessed - but I noticed this when using my Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, as well. (NOTE: My hearing only goes up to ~13.5-KHz.)
With the Volume knob installed on the Z2, so that the white stripe is straight up for OFF, the Biggie is almost too loud, when the knob is turned 90°.

First of all, thank you for your response. Just to make sure I understand you, I need a dynamic driver IEM to reach a substantial level of bass with the Z2.

You stated that most dynamic driver earphones don't vary much in the low bass from DAP to DAP, but in your opinion, would the higher impedance of a 96 Ohms IEM serve me any better with the Z2 than say a 16, 18, or 32 Ohm KZ model, as long as I choose only a dynamic driver IEM?

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #3,402 of 3,631
I don´t know if you ever find in ear monk, except in ear monk version.. :D
But I can recommend you Blitzwolf ES1, the combo is stellar, if you poke bass vent, you will get flat bass (and believe me these graphene drivers can produce the snappiest bass I´ve ever heard :xf_eek: )

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the Blitzwolf ES1, but will look it up. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know.

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #3,403 of 3,631
First of all, thank you for your response. Just to make sure I understand you, I need a dynamic driver IEM to reach a substantial level of bass with the Z2.

You stated that most dynamic driver earphones don't vary much in the low bass from DAP to DAP, but in your opinion, would the higher impedance of a 96 Ohms IEM serve me any better with the Z2 than say a 16, 18, or 32 Ohm KZ model, as long as I choose only a dynamic driver IEM?

Well, I've only got one set of earphones that are Balanced Armature only - the Remax RM-600M, and they're more Midrange / Treble-centric, without a lot of Bass to start with. So, pretty much all of my inventory has a Dynamic Driver for Bass - and I seem to detect only subtle differences in the Bass quantity, on some of them, when used with the DAPs that have higher output impedance. But, a good Bass-y earphone, with a Dynamic Driver, is still going to be Bass-y when used with the Z2.

I haven't sat down, and done a rigorous test, swapping back and forth between higher & lower impedance earphones, on higher & lower impedance DAPs - to be able to tell you definitively how low of an earbud impedance they can drive, without a sense that the Bass level is dropping.
But, the consensus of discussions about higher impedance DAPs / Amps, is that their ability to drive low-Bass (control & damping of the driver) is better with higher impedance loads.

If the KZ earphones you're considering have Dynamic Drivers, and don't cost too much, then you could try the 16Ω & 32Ω models with the Z2 - and they will probably sound good.
But I can say for sure, that the VE Biggie has a lot of Bass, whether it's used with a Z2 or my iFi Micro iDSD amp.

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #3,404 of 3,631
Well, I've only got one set of earphones that are Balanced Armature only - the Remax RM-600M, and they're more Midrange / Treble-centric, without a lot of Bass to start with. So, pretty much all of my inventory has a Dynamic Driver for Bass - and I seem to detect only subtle differences in the Bass quantity, on some of them, when used with the DAPs that have higher output impedance. But, a good Bass-y earphone, with a Dynamic Driver, is still going to be Bass-y when used with the Z2.

I haven't sat down, and done a rigorous test, swapping back and forth between higher & lower impedance earphones, on higher & lower impedance DAPs - to be able to tell you definitively how low of an earbud impedance they can drive, without a sense that the Bass level is dropping.
But, the consensus of discussions about higher impedance DAPs / Amps, is that their ability to drive low-Bass (control & damping of the driver) is better with higher impedance loads.

If the KZ earphones you're considering have Dynamic Drivers, and don't cost too much, then you could try the 16Ω & 32Ω models with the Z2 - and they will probably sound good.
But I can say for sure, that the VE Biggie has a lot of Bass, whether it's used with a Z2 or my iFi Micro iDSD amp.

Thanks for the input. I'm trying my hardest to just buy one IEM. This is all too tempting and I've already gone down the road of collecting Chinese fountain pens - so I've got the gene. It took me a year of reading forums to finally decide on the Z2 and the Monk Plus, so I appreciate your help in making this "last" purchase easier.

By the way, does anyone know why the Zishan threads have been locked, when there are active threads that go back many years?

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,405 of 3,631
Thanks for the input. I'm trying my hardest to just buy one IEM. This is all too tempting and I've already gone down the road of collecting Chinese fountain pens - so I've got the gene. It took me a year of reading forums to finally decide on the Z2 and the Monk Plus, so I appreciate your help in making this "last" purchase easier.

By the way, does anyone know why the Zishan threads have been locked, when there are active threads that go back many years?

I suspect, but haven't heard from a Moderator, that when they became focused on doing modifications to the circuits, rather than just using the DAPs - they may have become too "Off Topic" for someone.
I suppose the Mod discussions could have been moved to the DIY forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back