Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 1, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #3,376 of 3,631
oh i see, sorry i didnt know but i removed the link already.
thank you for answering my question, i think i gotta go with the new zishan z3, it almost the same price with the walnut v2 here in my country so i think ill buy this instead.

Due to the Z3 being so new, I don't think there's a separate thread for it yet - but it has been discussed some in - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/obscure-chinese-daps.720512/
And, since the op-amp is socketed, you try swapping op-amps, if you want to tweak the sound of the DAP.

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #3,378 of 3,631
im kinda torn between the walnut v2s and the zishan z2....seems to me like the zishan z2 got better sound quality, its also a bit more expensive than the walnut v2s, but i like more the looks of the v2s and its features.
If you want a good DAC get the Zishan Z2 but it cant be use as a standalone AMP like Zishan Z1 and Walnut.
Someone in our FB group (Walnut and Zishan Enthusiasts) said that new batches of walnut v2s doesn't have a click/crackle noise when used as a DAC. And the line in volume signal is not too loud.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,380 of 3,631
Thanks Burson Audio and to Burson C (Carlos) for providing this awesome opamp. And for selecting me.
IMG_20180117_143536-01.jpeg

Here is my out of the box impression:
Just Wow! When I first heard it on my Walnut V2s, I noticed a big improvement on sound quality. Wider soundstage, 3D layering/imaging, separation of each instruments/elements. Very transparent, no coloration. More lively sound and impact. Extended frequency on lows and highs.

*Will write a full review soon when I hit 100hours Burn-in.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #3,381 of 3,631
I'm I the only one to have swap the stock Opamp for a Burson V5i-D????

Hope not cause man, what a delicious portable amp this V2S have become! Whawawouwha!
200_s.gif

EDIT: LOL.....just above my head a dude have made same upgrade....OKAY!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #3,386 of 3,631
(honest opinion)

Ive been a/b testing my zishan z3 with my asus zb551kl phone (zenfone go 2017) for quite a considerable amount of time, (headphones used: kz zs3, bosshifi b8, isk hf2010, grado sr60e) not the most high-end cans but it does the job, but you know what, the difference is not far, literally you wont notice any difference if you just listen to it casually, the only slightly noticeable difference is the wholeness of the bass, soundstage is a little bit/microscopically wider on the z3, clarity wise theyre the same, with treble on my phone slightly better. i dont know the specific dac on my phone but the asus zenfone 2 have a hi-res dac (i forgot the name) maybe they use it still on their lower non-flagship smartphones. But if the people here in headfi notice a diffrence in sound quality in zishan z1 to z2 and zishan slightly better to walnuts, then i think my phone produces better quality than the z1 and walnuts (?) thats my only assumption though, im still using the z3 for only a few hours so maybe it will benefit from the burn in(?). For that, am I disappointed to the z3? kinda, i thought the difference is that big but unfortunately its too minuscle. but usablity wise it doesnt dissapoint its still a great dap/dac. but sound quality wise it feels to me like its more like a sidegrade than an upgrade, this also makes me question the hype over this daps, Or....maybe my ears are bad? but I dont think so, im still young and I only listen to music on a decent volume and time so definitely my hearing capabilities are still in good condition. just take this with a grain of salt, but this is honestly what im hearing right now.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #3,389 of 3,631
(honest opinion)

Ive been a/b testing my zishan z3 with my asus zb551kl phone (zenfone go 2017) for quite a considerable amount of time, (headphones used: kz zs3, bosshifi b8, isk hf2010, grado sr60e) not the most high-end cans but it does the job, but you know what, the difference is not far, literally you wont notice any difference if you just listen to it casually, the only slightly noticeable difference is the wholeness of the bass, soundstage is a little bit/microscopically wider on the z3, clarity wise theyre the same, with treble on my phone slightly better. i dont know the specific dac on my phone but the asus zenfone 2 have a hi-res dac (i forgot the name) maybe they use it still on their lower non-flagship smartphones. But if the people here in headfi notice a diffrence in sound quality in zishan z1 to z2 and zishan slightly better to walnuts, then i think my phone produces better quality than the z1 and walnuts (?) thats my only assumption though, im still using the z3 for only a few hours so maybe it will benefit from the burn in(?). For that, am I disappointed to the z3? kinda, i thought the difference is that big but unfortunately its too minuscle. but usablity wise it doesnt dissapoint its still a great dap/dac. but sound quality wise it feels to me like its more like a sidegrade than an upgrade, this also makes me question the hype over this daps, Or....maybe my ears are bad? but I dont think so, im still young and I only listen to music on a decent volume and time so definitely my hearing capabilities are still in good condition. just take this with a grain of salt, but this is honestly what im hearing right now.

I have z2, tbh it sounds not so good, even like crap with higher end low impedance iem, earphones... but the results are pretty nice with earbuds in the 150,300ohm range. Also 100 hours burn in.

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #3,390 of 3,631
I have z2, tbh it sounds not so good, even like crap with higher end low impedance iem, earphones... but the results are pretty nice with earbuds in the 150,300ohm range. Also 100 hours burn in.

does it really improved in burn in? like noticeably? maybe im judging the z3 too early, I should give it more time then. but ootb it still sounded good but its only on par with my asus zenfone go, but to be fair of all the phones Ive used so far (samsung galaxy a7, alcatel one touch, lenovo a6010 and my old school nokia 230) this phone wrecks them all in terms on sound department, it sounded more clinical and detailed i really dont know what built-in dac they put it into this but its really good, but i expected more out of the z3 bcoz of the ak4490 chip. ive also tried its dac capiblity on my laptop and i hear no huge improvement in sound quality. ill try to let it burn for 100 hrs also before ill say my final verdict but this kind of confuse me why people give it such a high praise for zishan and walnuts.

edit: also does your z2 also gets warm when used for long hours?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back