Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 9, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #1,936 of 3,631

Oh you are in SGD too? I am rather interested to try out the Walnut, which is currently on Ali at about USD29 (about $40 SGD). If you can get it in to SGD cheaper, I am keen too! I am tempted to go to the CanJam too, but afraid it will poison me further!

I'll PM you about the Walnut, we can easily arrange a meetup in orchard for you to demo it. I go there most Saturdays anyway.

You should definitely go to Canjam! It's a good chance to listen to stuff rather than to buy them on blind faith later on. I can't tell you the number of times I'm hyped to buy something expensive, only to have a simple demo dissuade me from buying it.

Of course, there are an equal amount of times when I was not interested in anything but became poisoned after testing it...

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #1,937 of 3,631

Hi @vapman , yes I know! But I just want to understand better; my music is mainly in MP3 and FLAC - does it mean that I should convert them to WAV before playing them through the Walnut? Will it make a significant difference if I leave my music as MP3, instead of converting them to WAV?

So why WAV sounds so much better on the Walnut?

The photos above show an example of differences between JPEG and RAW.
In music, we can compare it as like MP3 (JPEG) and WAV (RAW).
However, there are also many people happily use 128K MP3 for their listening and can't discern between MP3, Flac or WAV.

I see, so it will work well with just MP3 files? I don't have any native WAV files though...

You can try PM fellow Head-Fi member iJay for link to the original WAV Files that come with Walnut :)

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #1,938 of 3,631
Anyone here tried the Walnut with the Shozy Zero of the VE zen 2.0?

Zen 2.0 yes :-D (standard, not black edition...I can't justify the black edition to myself no matter how much I want it!!) I specifically waited until I had something with a bit of power before getting the Zen's, and I'm so glad as the combo just sounds stunning/lush/lots of other superlatives.

So far my favourite combo's for the Walnut, of the earbuds I have, are the three main VE earbuds (the first time I heard the Monk+ with the Walnut I couldn't believe my ears how well they scaled), the TY HP320 and the TY HP650. With the Zen 2 at the top of the list.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #1,939 of 3,631
My favourite two combos are Puresounds PS100-600 (monitor-like sound) and Blox B320 (super-smooth sound). I don't like the Yinman 500 combo though to the extent that I prefer a Macbook as a source for the Yinman to the Walnut.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #1,941 of 3,631

I'll PM you about the Walnut, we can easily arrange a meetup in orchard for you to demo it. I go there most Saturdays anyway.

You should definitely go to Canjam! It's a good chance to listen to stuff rather than to buy them on blind faith later on. I can't tell you the number of times I'm hyped to buy something expensive, only to have a simple demo dissuade me from buying it.

Of course, there are an equal amount of times when I was not interested in anything but became poisoned after testing it...

Haha yes I think I will head down to CanJam! I think it is worth while to try. I can still recall almost 10 years back, trying out the Etymotic ER4P blew my mind and I saved money in my teens trying to get it. Now the scene has changed completely...with all the influx of Chinese brands creating much competition, to our benefit!

Are you referring to E1 at Far East? I tried a few DAPs (e.g. Opus #1, AK Jr etc). I can't bring myself to pay the amount for the DAPs, when I am rather satisfied with my DX90 and Fiio X3.

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,942 of 3,631
Feb 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,943 of 3,631
Nut finally came to CZ! :D 
Nice little powerful thing, it can power even my modded t50rp mk3 to listenable level :)
Power output comparable to my sd793ii dac/amp, Í didnt have much time to test anything yet..
Tomorrow I´m gonna buy LME49720NA (=LM4562) at our local store and I will post some of my impressions.

note: I´m looking for opamp which fill be "fast" so it can handle mainly rock/metal, tonality is my second priority

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,945 of 3,631
Tracking number available within 5-10 days!
Even with this low price is not worth the waiting time, from paying to actually receiving the item.

I had ordered from CkLewis too but I canceled it yesterday because of the same reason.

p.s. I went with this seller: http://s.aliexpress.com/YzQJzmq2

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,946 of 3,631
Tracking number available within 5-10 days!
Even with this low price is not worth the waiting time, from paying to actually receiving the item.

Should not take that much time to get tracking. Had tracking from Rose in less than 48 hours.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,948 of 3,631
In January 5th I bought mine from CKLewis. 
In January 11th They send me the tracking number.
In January 17th I could see as pre-accepted in the post page of my country and it was when it left from China.
In January 19th it arrived at London. In January 25th it left London. 
confused_face(1).gif

In January 26th it arrived to ny country and I got it.
Exactly 3 weeks since I bought it to I got it. First days there was not information but i would trust in CKLewis...

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,949 of 3,631
  Exactly 3 weeks since I bought it to I got it. First days there was not information but i would trust in CKLewis...

I've been waiting 33 days for my Walnut to be shipped to Canada. I assume it's going to be 2 months like everyone else getting their orders in this country. Next time I'll choose a shipper with e-packet: Rose Electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back