Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 2, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #1,771 of 3,631
  Btw before I said AD797 and AD8065 would oscillate with some cap combos, turns out they work fine in my stock walnut and sound very nice, It might simply be the caps in my modded walnuts need break in to stabilize which would in turn cause the opamps to be stable.

AD8065 sounds really nice to me, like a better version of AD825, clearer treble, tighter bass, and the mids, wow, so much presence and realism without being forward and annoying. (for stock walnut).

AD797 has a much more robust bass than the previous two, hit's big and hard, a lot of body, the mids and treble in isolation are excellent, but lose to AD8065 for my electronic music just because the music already has so much bass that I prefer leaner sounding opamps, for other music genres AD797 will be excellent surely.

So AD8065 and AD8610 are my current favorites. And really liking the OS-CON capacitors as well.

I've never actually bought cap testing sockets before. Which kind did you use on your testing station walnut? I want to set up a testing station like that as well, but can only find DIP sockets and the such when i look for those.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #1,775 of 3,631
  Btw before I said AD797 and AD8065 would oscillate with some cap combos, turns out they work fine in my stock walnut and sound very nice, It might simply be the caps in my modded walnuts need break in to stabilize which would in turn cause the opamps to be stable.

AD8065 sounds really nice to me, like a better version of AD825, clearer treble, tighter bass, and the mids, wow, so much presence and realism without being forward and annoying. (for stock walnut).

AD797 has a much more robust bass than the previous two, hit's big and hard, a lot of body, the mids and treble in isolation are excellent, but lose to AD8065 for my electronic music just because the music already has so much bass that I prefer leaner sounding opamps, for other music genres AD797 will be excellent surely.

So AD8065 and AD8610 are my current favorites. And really liking the OS-CON capacitors as well.

Will the Change to the power cap cause any issues with the 797.  I put in a new power cap and I still get noise/interference when I click it on.  Not sure if it still needs break in.  I have put in about 48 hours of break in on my Walnut.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #1,776 of 3,631
  Will the Change to the power cap cause any issues with the 797.  I put in a new power cap and I still get noise/interference when I click it on.  Not sure if it still needs break in.  I have put in about 48 hours of break in on my Walnut.

Likely, but I don't know, it may just need burn in to stabilize, or there may be a technical reason for oscillation, I can't say until I burn in the caps further.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #1,778 of 3,631
Just installed the Alps volume pot, power cap, and the LM4562NA opamp.  Love the results.  The Bass is faster and a bit tighter over the NE5532 without loosing the spaciousness.

Maybe you should write a little tutorial on what exactly parts you used and added to the front page,so many can do same thing themselves :thumbsup:

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,780 of 3,631
AD8065 are single channel, you mean their dual channel variant, the AD8066?

I got the dual to mono AD8065 just in case, many DIYers have said the single version of almost any opamp sounds better than the dual version, not surprising seeing as that just changing the package type of these tiny little IC's also affects the sound, like going from dip8 > to99.

For me the AD825 is the most "Silmic II" like opamp I've heard, note that means it is warm and silky without being low resolution or unbalanced etc, quite the opposite, saying it is similar to Silmic II is a big complement, just the perfect amount of smoothness in the highs, perfect amount of honey in the mids and perfect amount of warmth in the bass.

The AD8065 is kinda like a high definition AD825, this means it is less silky purely due to the increased detail and a hair more reference balance, but with a dash of that familiar silkiness, so that's why I call it an improved AD825, but really it is down to preference, the AD8065 is right up my alley personally, but those after a slightly more "analog" type sound may prefer AD825. The 8065 is simply slightly more detailed and balanced without falling into the trap of being boring, cold, or thin, due to that dash of silky quality. The mids are also startlingly alive. It's neutral/reference done right, immensely satisfying.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,784 of 3,631
Hey guys any thoughts on this cap for the power supply? very very low ESR but no idea how it will sound. Not expecting a lot but I threw one in my order just in case it turns out amazing

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=APSG160ELL102MH20Svirtualkey66100000virtualkey661-APSG160E102MH20S

Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors 16V 1000uF 20% Tol.

Also dumb question - does the stock volume knob fit on Alps RK0971221Z05? Just realized mine show up tomorrow and i have no other knobs to use if those dont fit. lol.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #1,785 of 3,631
^ Should do fine sound wise. I have a sanyo os-con on the way for power cap. I just hope they hold up without leaking because supposedly it's important to de-rate organic polymer caps more-so than other electrolytics and using 16v for power cap where walnut is putting out 15-16v, is risky, really should be using 25v.

The issue with walnut is that nearly no good audio caps will fit in the 1000uf 25v size. Also organic poly's don't come in high voltage/uf anyway, you will have to drop down to 680uf to get a 25v, but this is actually fine, due to organic poly's higher conductivity and lower ESR essentially means you can get away with much lower capacitance for the same task, eg a 330uf would probably suffice as the power cap I believe, but why not just go with 680uf 25v for kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back