Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 25, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #1,578 of 3,631
What didn't seem as a problem now bothers me. The sub bass is really lacking, and makes Bach's organ music to sound really artificial. Those low organ notes need to be thunderous, but miss any impact with the walnut. Not so with the Clip.

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,579 of 3,631
Is there a case for the Walnut anywhere yet?    
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,581 of 3,631
  What about synergy with ER4S? Have you ever tried with it?

It has a high enough output resistance to also act as a ER4P to ER4S converter. Can't seem to find any info on how the BA responds to an output impedance of 75-100 ohms itself. I haven't had any Etymotics for a while sadly except the ER4XR.

Reuben, it's okay that you don't like yours. There are a bunch of people here who would buy one with the factories being closed for holiday and all.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,582 of 3,631
What didn't seem as a problem now bothers me. The sub bass is really lacking, and makes Bach's organ music to sound really artificial. Those low organ notes need to be thunderous, but miss any impact with the walnut. Not so with the Clip.

Did you ever manage to work out if your Walnut was faulty?

I seem to remember yours didn't seem to have the same power others were describing, even with quite easy to drive earbuds like the Monk, certainly not with other headphones, and a few possible theories were put forward with problem with the earphone socket or volume knob (whatever the technical word is!)

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,583 of 3,631
Btw just wanted to point out that I'm enjoying the Xduoo X3 infinitely more than ever before because the massive 4w RMS output makes headphones sound lively as the Parasound Zamp (unless you bypass the Zamp headphone resistors...)

I was never this happy with mojo. An x3 and a combo DAP and improved CMOY. Who woulda thunk it.

Yes with the right EQ settings and headphones i am confident you could do a bass paper test on this setup.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #1,586 of 3,631
Did you ever manage to work out if your Walnut was faulty?

I seem to remember yours didn't seem to have the same power others were describing, even with quite easy to drive earbuds like the Monk, certainly not with other headphones, and a few possible theories were put forward with problem with the earphone socket or volume knob (whatever the technical word is!)

It seems ok. I guess most of you use sensitive earphones and don't listen to quietly mastered music, those two added doesn't seem to work really well. In my case then lol
And why should it be broken? The measurements show a huge bass roll off past 50hz or so, so one shouldn't expect to hear the lowest frequencies of course :)

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #1,587 of 3,631
finally i could find enough time to mod my walnut;

here is my first mod;
changed chinese power supply cap to panasonic NHG 1000uF 25V (upper right corner)..
it's about 5 mm taller than stock one, so i had to put it over micro usb socket..

i did take some random notes while listening;
bigger soundstage
better instrument separation and positioning
increased resolution, micro details
more natural timbre, especially texture on tremolos and vibratos are impressive..

next, will try to change potentiemeter to an alps rk097 type..

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,588 of 3,631
  finally i could find enough time to mod my walnut;

here is my first mod;
changed chinese power supply cap to panasonic NHG 1000uF 25V (upper right corner)..
it's about 5 mm taller than stock one, so i had to put it over micro usb socket..

Awesome man! does it fit in the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back