Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 29, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #783 of 3,631
So.....
Ijust heard the default walnut sd card chinese song provided by iJay (because mine doesn't come with it), and it's amazingly refreshing and calm playlist. I can be sure now, that my walnut can play the wav files (i only have 320 mp3 and flac colletion). If only i can understand the lyric, it'll be perfect :grin:

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #788 of 3,631
How do I buy one of these?

*edit

Never mind I found multiple with google-fu

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #789 of 3,631
Lol, wow finally tried it as an amp.  I am about to watch Vikings on my laptop using my hifime 9018 Dac > walnut > HD600.  I can only turn it from like 7(no volume) to 9 and it is bordering on too loud.  Stopped my show and pulled up foobar and I could only go from 7 to 8 and its super loud.  Obviously, at that point I turned down my computer so I could use more of the walnut's volume pot.  This thing is a powerful beast. 

Sucks for my Matrix M-stage I just got last week.  The walnut is a million times more convenient to use and at this point seems more powerful.  Not that that matters since both get way beyond what I would I would listen too.  Will be interesting to A/B between them for sound quality.  All I know so far is I enjoy what I hear out of both of them and that is all that really matters in the end.

Still cant believe I was walking around the house listening to my Zen 2.0s out of a dap.   I've never done that because I didn't want to lug around an amp too.

Whenever its apparent the maker is on their final version,  I will buy a few extra to tuck away for the future.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #790 of 3,631
I just got my Walnut, it's really, really good. Detail is absolutely on point, and I'm not even bothered by the slight "digitalness" (it is very slight) that the others have mentioned. It's an excellent pairing with the Pinnacle P1, and really punches way above its price range.

Only problem is, returning to listening with the P1 with my computer, I think I'm noticing a slight channel imbalance, which is worrying the heck out of me. It could be my computer, my ears (just took a shower), or anything else that doesn't have to do with the headphone, but I can't help but think... is it possible that the high impedance output or the popping signal ruined my headphones? I really loved the P1, and it could be I'm imagining this, but I'm kind of scared of the possibility. 
frown.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #791 of 3,631
  I just got my Walnut, it's really, really good. Detail is absolutely on point, and I'm not even bothered by the slight "digitalness" (it is very slight) that the others have mentioned. It's an excellent pairing with the Pinnacle P1, and really punches way above its price range.

Only problem is, returning to listening with the P1 with my computer, I think I'm noticing a slight channel imbalance, which is worrying the heck out of me. It could be my computer, my ears (just took a shower), or anything else that doesn't have to do with the headphone, but I can't help but think... is it possible that the high impedance output or the popping signal ruined my headphones? I really loved the P1, and it could be I'm imagining this, but I'm kind of scared of the possibility. 
frown.gif

The high impedance -might- make a difference (just assuming because they're in ears) but the pop shouldn't damage anything. If you are worried you could plug in some crappy headphones after first power on, so that "absorbs" the pop.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #792 of 3,631
  The high impedance -might- make a difference (just assuming because they're in ears) but the pop shouldn't damage anything. If you are worried you could plug in some crappy headphones after first power on, so that "absorbs" the pop.

Yes, but they aren't BA's, they're a single dynamic driver. I just hope I'm just imagining things as I'm tired, and didn't destroy part of the drivers in any way xP They pair excellently together, and sound absolutely phenomenal, but I kind of want to also keep the headphones intact, you know? 
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #793 of 3,631
  Yes, but they aren't BA's, they're a single dynamic driver. I just hope I'm just imagining things as I'm tired, and didn't destroy part of the drivers in any way xP They pair excellently together, and sound absolutely phenomenal, but I kind of want to also keep the headphones intact, you know? 
smile.gif

I hear you. If you're using any IEM you should probably use the digital volume control by holding "Prev" to lower the volume. If you're using it as an amp, well, you would probably need to turn down your source considerably as it runs at full power which makes full size headphones get uncomfortably loud.... it will blow out IEMs at max volume!

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #794 of 3,631
  I hear you. If you're using any IEM you should probably use the digital volume control by holding "Prev" to lower the volume. If you're using it as an amp, well, you would probably need to turn down your source considerably as it runs at full power which makes full size headphones get uncomfortably loud.... it will blow out IEMs at max volume!

For sure! I kept the knob at very low, adjusted the digital volume, and then raised the physical knob when necessary - which, by the way, turns very smoothly, and has a very accurate level of resistance. Thanks for helping my make the choice to buy this, it's a superb DAP for sure!

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #795 of 3,631

I managed to turn off my Walnut with my Asura in, scary, and then forgot about the pop when I plugged them in to check they were ok. I won't make that mistake again, but I think they're ok.

Can't say I wasn't warned.

With a lack of 'phones I really hate I think I'll save the one set of Monks I've been using (I have so many spare sets) as my 'Walnut absorbers' for first plug in. They're no wimps anyway, I'm sure they can withstand it!! But I really won't be turning on / off with 'phones in again, it wasn't very pleasant :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back