Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 20, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #496 of 3,631
Agree with you on this one my friend.
How is the application of the Walnut?
Have you tried to connect it to a laptop to the headphone jack?

3:30am on my birthday..... I'm testing my Walnut on more gear 
biggrin.gif

Some comparisons prove that I do prefer the stock opamp to the V5i in most cases. Just can't say I enjoy the V5i as much. It became really clear when the battery of the stock opamp Walnut died being used in amp mode and I switched to the V5i Walnut. What can I say, it was just not as good as the stock opamp, unless you are a laid back signature fan (you will still get a good amount of lower treble aggression with the V5i) So it might get the stock opamp back until I get some LME's or something.

Tests were very favorable using it to amp the laptop's built in output. In fact, far better than I expected. The Walnut is able to mask worse sources to a certain agree - however it won't take away from better sources, as can usually the case with gear with those characteristics.

yeah.... the X61 has garbage viewing angles.... still love it though :) 

I ended up being pleasantly surprised listening to Youtube through the Walnut as an amp. You can tell you're listening to compressed audio, but it doesn't suck like it usually does. It isn't weak and lifeless because being boosted with that 16V supply is just like running into a high power 80's receiver or power amp. Yes, there is a bit of background noise when nothing's playing - especially because if you don't turn down the computer a fair amount you might blow your eardrums out - but nothing you'll hear during playback. And like the complete opposite of the Mojo, you can actually enjoy it despite knowing it sounds compressed. It still sounds fun. The Mojo makes compressed music unbearable by highlighting all the artifacts and making them glaringly obvious. This just turns everything into music.

So there you have the X61 playing FLAC through the built-in Conexant audio.... which is nothing special or amazing. VE Basic cable ($10) because I forgot where I put the Walnut included cable. Yes lossless audio was significantly nicer than the YouTube audio, but it still wasn't anything amazing due to the Conexant chip the audio runs through. Still, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. So, thanks for giving me the idea to test this combo out. I don't know if I would have gotten around to it otherwise?

Back and back vs. my bMac amp on high gain, the Walnut simply blew it away in terms of volume it could push, and even with the same opamps in both, the Walnut always had a more forward signature, not particularly a more detailed one.

I'm especially grateful it's forgiving of compressed audio because sometimes new stuff that's great you can't find in a lossless format...

This is the cookie cake someone :wink: had delivered to me at 1:30AM...

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #497 of 3,631
(A quick note on Walnut durability: let's just say if either of my Walnuts had screens.... they'd be broken right now. They have both taken more falls than I care to admit and both are still 100% perfect.)

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #498 of 3,631
Happy Birthday
beerchug.gif

Appreciate the further impressions.
Who exactly delivers stuff at 1:30 am lol

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #500 of 3,631
  Happy Birthday and celebrate .I didn't expect that Walnut V2 will work so well with the laptops, I will have to try it myself once they ( 3) get here . Don't forget to do that modification on the Koss headphones, won't take you long and the sound will change in better.

I've been meaning to and will as soon as I get my hands on a power drill over Xmas :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #501 of 3,631
Recapped the tiny 10uf. Still burned in the new caps to see the results. But my initiaal impressions the sound more relaxed not harsh anymore. Mid and vocal more lush and lively. Will post update about next 24 hours.

Cool, what did you recap with?

First I'm gonna recap the 2x 100uf with Nichicon KZ, and replace the chengbin with something decent. Im pretty happy with the stock Silmic II, Cerafines might be too analytical.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #503 of 3,631
Cool, what did you recap with?

First I'm gonna recap the 2x 100uf with Nichicon KZ, and replace the chengbin with something decent. Im pretty happy with the stock Silmic II, Cerafines might be too analytical.

Have you ever messed with Sanyo Os-con? I've never used them before but wondering if this is a good time to start. Might pick some up for fun, if they will fit. If not, I might use Wima.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #504 of 3,631
Have you ever messed with Sanyo Os-con? I've never used them before but wondering if this is a good time to start. Might pick some up for fun, if they will fit. If not, I might use Wima.

Sanyo os-con wouldn't be a good fit for the walnut imo, they are colourless and stark, kinda thin sounding, but wide open stage.

I would be looking at warmer more soulful caps for the walnut.

I'm not a fan of wimas particularly, the non metalized polypropylene film wimas are ok but nothing special.

I'm going to look into some more boutique hi end caps which the walnut could thrive on, will let you know what I come up with.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #508 of 3,631
Ha, @vapman, I also have an ancient ThinkPad.. .but even older than yours, the X60 ,with a stylus, somehow miraculously running Windows 10 on an SSD and running decently. 
biggrin.gif

Now, just waiting on my Walnut V2 to get here... it's already in New York as of yesterday so it's made it out of China!  
beerchug.gif

Quote:
  3:30am on my birthday..... I'm testing my Walnut on more gear 
biggrin.gif

Tests were very favorable using it to amp the laptop's built in output. In fact, far better than I expected. The Walnut is able to mask worse sources to a certain agree - however it won't take away from better sources, as can usually the case with gear with those characteristics.

yeah.... the X61 has garbage viewing angles.... still love it though :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back