Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 2, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #901 of 3,631

So your walnut also doesn't have enough power to drive your earphones to extremely loud volumes? Probably your notebook is much less powerful than mine.

Guys, if the Walnut just doesn't have that much power I thought, that's ok, but all I would like to know if it's just my device or not. Not trying to bash or something, I like the player :)

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #903 of 3,631
As far as the volume pot going to a maximum then at the end levelling out for a bit with no further gain really, I think that is due to the 100k pots used ( looked up the model number I got off it's housing ).
If I am thinking correctly using a lower one like a 50k it may go all the way through the volume pot's whole turning range but it may still have some leftover it could not grab and therefore it would not be able to cover.

=not use the entire available volume since it would max out sooner/too soon with a lower resistance pot, if that makes sense. I guess it is just the way the circuit is and how the pot is matched up to it's output.
Possibly.

Just something fun to bring up
Correct me if I am wrong please.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #904 of 3,631
  As far as the volume pot going to a maximum then at the end levelling out for a bit with no further gain really, I think that is due to the 100k pots used ( looked up the model number I got off it's housing ).
If I am thinking correctly using a lower one like a 50k it may go all the way through the volume pot's whole turning range but it may still have some leftover it could not grab and therefore it would not be able to cover.

=not use the entire available volume since it would max out sooner/too soon with a lower resistance pot, if that makes sense. I guess it is just the way the circuit is and how the pot is matched up to it's output.
Possibly.

Just something fun to bring up
Correct me if I am wrong please.

We will see when I made my GOLDPOINT walnut.

The walnut designed is gonna need a change of pants after seeing that contraction.

Heck I start drooling whenever I think about dual XLR out Walnuts.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #905 of 3,631

Pretty sure walnut uses 10k pot, likely the cheap 40cent ones from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BELLA-9mm-Plastic-double-switch-with-adjustable-volume-control-potentiometer-resistance-10K50K-B503B103-50pcs-lot/1900490594.html

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #906 of 3,631
I'm gonna get a goldpoint in mine 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #907 of 3,631
DROOL INDEED !

I'm going to try an Audio Note pot in one just to see.

Please do check in when you get that done ... I'm sure you will.

uh oh oh well we shall see then if it is only a 10k. Too late to change orders now.
sent change email :p

I'm going to go look again at the serial/model #... brb.

YEP B103 on the housing, now why did I mess that up :) never trust  your memory for stuff like this. Last time I searched that out I thought for sure it was 100.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #908 of 3,631
If anyone wanna get hardcore about modding I made a separate thered as to not frighten Walnut noobies. I don't want people to think this thing needs even $5 of upgrades to sound good (or better).

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #910 of 3,631
It definitely has the power to drive some of my earphones and headphones substantially past my normal listening level - for example my KZ ZST IEMs and my Sennheiser Momentum over-ear - and definitely louder than my MacBook Pro.

It also can power my harder to drive headphones, but not as powerfully, but with enough juice to satisfy my listening levels even on material mastered at lower levels.

It definitely doesn't distort or hurt my ears, though, which is something my FiiO X1 can do with low-impedance, highly sensitive earphones and headphones, so I agree it is doing something "different," for example, with "Remorse" by Sam Phillips, my FiiO X1 distorts slightly and is way too loud with my Momentum over-ears at max volume, but the Walnut is not quite as loud and doesn't distort them.

However, the Walnut is noticeably louder at max volume on that same song on the much harder to drive Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm headphones, than the FiiO X1 is, which renders the song with less volume.

So your walnut also doesn't have enough power to drive your earphones to extremely loud volumes? Probably your notebook is much less powerful than mine.

Guys, if the Walnut just doesn't have that much power I thought, that's ok, but all I would like to know if it's just my device or not. Not trying to bash or something, I like the player :)

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #911 of 3,631
It definitely has the power to drive some of my earphones and headphones substantially past my normal listening level - for example my KZ ZST IEMs and my Sennheiser Momentum over-ear - and definitely louder than my MacBook Pro.

It also can power my harder to drive headphones, but not as powerfully, but with enough juice to satisfy my listening levels even on material mastered at lower levels.

It definitely doesn't distort or hurt my ears, though, which is something my FiiO X1 can do with low-impedance, highly sensitive earphones and headphones, so I agree it is doing something "different," for example, with "Remorse" by Sam Phillips, my FiiO X1 distorts slightly and is way too loud with my Momentum over-ears at max volume, but the Walnut is not quite as loud and doesn't distort them.

However, the Walnut is noticeably louder at max volume on that same song on the much harder to drive Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm headphones, than the FiiO X1 is, which renders the song with less volume.

That's weird... I'll try to understand how that's possible. It's pure unfortunate that it couldn't drive my Havi to acceptable levels, which is a 32 ohm iem after all

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #912 of 3,631
I swear I've read that the Havi is reputed to be a hard-to-drive earphone somewhere, but that truly might be a fabrication of my brain. :sweat_smile:

The HiFiMAN HE-400 I gave my nephew are only 35 Ohm but are definitely harder to drive than my 50 Ohm Sennheiser HD 558.

I do find the Walnut funny with volume after about 2/3 of max, though, so it definitely in my view has something weird going on on volume.

That's weird... I'll try to understand how that's possible. It's pure unfortunate that it couldn't drive my Havi to acceptable levels, which is a 32 ohm iem after all

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #913 of 3,631
Maybe Reuben if ailing to take the accuracy per dB into account.

600 ohm heahdpones with sensitive drives can be driven off of anything.

32 ohm headphones with unsensitive drivers need that juice.

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #914 of 3,631
Well, I'm not sure, honestly, where I got the idea that the Havi IEMs were hard to drive, heck I don't even know the model :) but I looked up the specs on the Havi B3 Pro IEMs and they are 32 Ohm with a sensitivity of 115 dB, which seems to me to be pretty easy to drive? :O

Maybe Reuben if ailing to take the accuracy per dB into account.

600 ohm heahdpones with sensitive drives can be driven off of anything.

32 ohm headphones with unsensitive drivers need that juice.

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #915 of 3,631
Well, I'm not sure, honestly, where I got the idea that the Havi IEMs were hard to drive, heck I don't even know the model :) but I looked up the specs on the Havi B3 Pro IEMs and they are 32 Ohm with a sensitivity of 115 dB, which seems to me to be pretty easy to drive? :O

Specs on the www varies between 95 and 115dB. I've got two pairs of them and the last ones is the latest version that's more easy to drive than my original pair.......

My old pair is by far the most power demanding IEM's I've ever tried but it's still just a pair of IEM's and I've got many full sized headphones that need a lot more power.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back