1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by vapman, Dec 8, 2016.
First

Back
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
Next

Last
  1. music4mhell
    i ordered from different seller..
    hope i will get the same player like yours..

2. iJay

@nick n is exactly right, it's all about order! I'm not sure if Walnut sorts by time-stamp or by alpha-numerical but I may experiment later. The point is manageable chunks that can be sorted and sub-sorted easily and since it ignores folders, no harm done!

Decommo likes this.
  3. Decommo

Thank you very much for further explanation. Now I understood. I thought that we could navigate the folder same way as Shozy Alien. :)

4. iJay

No, which is slightly unfortunate but I find I like the Walnut interface better! With the Alien if you accidentally hit that center button-game over! With Walnut you don't have that issue and you can change the min/max range of the pot which is very handy!

5. groucho69
    Mine has shipped. Damn I hope it gets here before I go on vacation.[​IMG]

6. iJay

​I pity you if it doesn't! This thing is AWESOME! [​IMG] 

7. groucho69
    All pity is welcome

8. T.R.A.N.C.E.
    After I had trouble replacing the smaller capacitors it got me thinking. I can't be bothered messing around this much with a solder iron these days, time to throw money at the problem. So I managed to convince the Walnut creator to make a batch of walnuts without any capacitors installed [​IMG]

Now it's going to be dead easy to install caps through open hole pcb, even complete noobs could install caps easily now.

The walnut creator needed convincing, he didn't want to do it, but somehow he agreed after some back and forth, mainly because of my slick English to Chinese google translate sweet talking skills [​IMG]

Order minimum is 20. It's going to be more more pricey than stock walnut due to the custom batch production, but it's actually worth the huge reduction in modification hassle to me.

So if anyone want's a mod ready walnut in the future, let me know in a couple weeks, not sure on the final price to your door yet, I'm hoping around $35 delivered to anyone who wants one. If no one wants one I'll modify all 20 myself [​IMG] 

9. musicday
    You are one crazy guy:grin:. I am hoping your modifications will bring something completely different in sound.Respect for your iniative.

10. fleasbaby

LMAO...I haven't even heard my stock one, but at that price, put me on the list. 

11. T.R.A.N.C.E.
    Also I noticed older walnuts have a difference in the pcb, situated in a crucial area at the dac output, there is two blue crossed resistors, while the newer walnuts have skimped on the production in this area it seems. Also the newer walnuts have the dac/soc chip sanded to hide the chip name, while the older walnut has the chip name intact. Both have the same pcb, labeled as PCB V1.2 (aka V2 walnut), so the dac output resistor change would have an actual effect given the pcb is the same. The production dates are left one is September 2016, the right is October 2016, if you want to know the production date and PCB version of your walnut, it is written underneath the battery next to the 3 buttons, you don't have to remove the battery, just look form the side.

Update: The blue resistors are only there to correct an error on the pcb which has been fixed in the later revision, thanks to Nick N for spotting that, also was confirmed by the Walnut's creator.

SAM_0599.jpg   SAM_0601.jpg

vapman likes this.
  12. akroy
    interesting, but is there any sonic difference?

13. macky112
    thank you all for a very informative thread, but I still have some questions.

I have a Fiio X3ii, and am looking for a new DAP to upgrade the SQ.

So far, I am interested in the Walnut V2, Zishan DSD and Xduoo X10.

Could someone help me get an idea how they all compare to each other?

TIA

14. vapman
    I'd take at least 2 capless Walnuts. Perhaps we should make some kind of list for people who would be willing to get some for themselves too.

I just got in some Superlux HD-562 - the sub $30 HD-25 clone - not exactly the HD-25's tone but pretty close and a good fun closed can anyway. Been listening with my Walnut of course. I've been wanting some other on ears that could take a good amount of power.... these were a good choice! Probably will try and mess with it soon to get a little more bass out of it.

15. kfarndog
    I haven't had the opportunity to pair the Walnut with my Zens and really listen.  It should be good.  Hopefully in the next few days and I will post some brief comments.

First

Back
32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
Next

Last