Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Mar 17, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2,476 of 3,631

Mine was bought from 'AisLu Hifi Store' but only came with micro-usb charging cable, no interconnect cable, microsd card or card reader.

I just bought my walnut from there too. I'm not too worried about the other stuff. A interconnect cable would be nice, but they are cheap everywhere. 

People were telling me to use Rose on E-Bay, but it's $10 US ($13.5 CAN) more, and AisLu ships by HongKong Post Air Mail, which may arrive 2 weeks faster to Canada than the E-Bay seller.

Plus, I'm not a huge fan of E-Bay, it's okay...

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,477 of 3,631
Removal of the stock potentiometer is a serious task, certainly not easy that's for sure you'll need a solder sucker tool for it and even then it might not  work since the tabs are tight in there and any traces of solder make it very difficult to remove.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,478 of 3,631
  Removal of the stock potentiometer is a serious task, certainly not easy that's for sure you'll need a solder sucker tool for it and even then it might not  work since the tabs are tight in there and any traces of solder make it very difficult to remove.

Wuss!
ph34r.gif

Edit: that was a joke btw!

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,479 of 3,631
Nice, can you send a link please? I sometimes have a problem with the original knob which raises the volume when I walk up the stairs with nut in my jeans :D

Found these knobs on ebay.  Fits very nicely and hides the washer and nut.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,482 of 3,631

Mother of all walnuts

Crafted but a friend, not me i have no knowledge on circuitry. but damn it sounds amazing.

give us the short list: what on there is still original?

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #2,483 of 3,631
Very interesting effect turned out. White noise is strong even on a pause. The sound is very voluminous. The scene is huge. The bass is very powerful and fast. High frequencies are clean. If we draw an analogy, the stock nut is a picture painted in watercolor, and two operational amplifiers together, this is already an oil painting.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #2,485 of 3,631
  So is there a way to get more volume from the walnut? Or are all of these mods just changing sound signature?

Personally I have to tell the voices in my head to keep it down...but that's just me.

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,486 of 3,631
  Personally I have to tell the voices in my head to keep it down...but that's just me.

lol, serious question tho. When using my nut in conjunction with my car stereo, plenty volume, with using with my PFE 232's and every other IEM, a tad quiet (it's like the last 3rd twist of the volume results in no change in volume). I listen full volume with IEMs, and i barely hit a 3rd volume in car...

My collection is MP3gained to around 93db (as i like to shuffle all alot), I can apply a higher gain but I'd rather not if i can avoid it.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,487 of 3,631
So is there a way to get more volume from the walnut? Or are all of these mods just changing sound signature?

You can reduce the output resistance. Solder the resistors eg 10 ohms parallel to R7/R8. The total resistance will be ~ 9 ohms. The volume will increase, the sound will become more flat, but the volume of the noise may also increase.
Without changing the sound signature, you can only change the gain of the opamp. In the stock K = 6..11. For example, if you change R1/R2 from 10 to 5 kOhm, K = 7.7 ..21.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,488 of 3,631
You can reduce the output resistance. Solder the resistors eg 10 ohms parallel to R7/R8. The total resistance will be ~ 9 ohms. The volume will increase, the sound will become more flat, but the volume of the noise may also increase.
Without changing the sound signature, you can only change the gain of the opamp. In the stock K = 6..11. For example, if you change R1/R2 from 10 to 5 kOhm, K = 7.7 ..21.

Ok, so alot of that went over my head, but if yer saying 'buy this opamp' (and supply ebay link lol) and your walnut will be louder, please don't let me stand in the way of any links or pm's that come my way :D

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #2,489 of 3,631
  Ok, so alot of that went over my head, but if yer saying 'buy this opamp' (and supply ebay link lol) and your walnut will be louder, please don't let me stand in the way of any links or pm's that come my way :D

Actually instead of swapping opamps, he's telling you that you can attach two resistors. Soldering will be required, so if you're not up to do that, see if you know anyone who can do it 
wink_face.gif

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,490 of 3,631
My 'nut is very happy to be sporting a burson v5i opamp! To conform with transparency ethics, I should point out that Charles from SS audio provided me with a free trial of the v5i in exchange for some honest feedback. 

The v5i sounds rather awesome to my ears - my initial impressions are a wonderful sense imaging and soundstage, and enhanced dynamics. Quite addictive really. So far loving it with my VE Zen1.0's, Nighthawks and also the AKG Sextetts (really brings them alive).

I hope to compare it to the jrc4558d (which I really like) but there's no doubt that the walnut & v5i is an awesome combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back