Wallwart PS for Desktop Amp + DAC (Home)
Nov 17, 2008 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nbaudio

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am considering buying the Headroom Desktop Amp with DAC (the one with the Home module and Home Dac) and using the basic wallwart power supply that comes with it. That's about my budget for now. (But I will have the option to upgrade to the Astrodyne or DPS later).

However, I remember reading somewhere (Stereophile, I think) that for the Max and even the Home modules you "need" the DPS.

For the Desktop Amp (Home module/DAC) is this "need" a "it-will-sound-better-need" or is it a "it-will-die-and-catch-on-fire-need"?

My EE friend warned me that a lower quality PS may hurt the unit so better to go with the DPS right away. I can't imagine Headroom would be selling the units with power supplies that may cause problems or are inadequate from an electrical point of view.

So would the Desktop Amp (Home module/DAC) be safe with the basic Wallwart for a year or so before getting the Astrodyne or DPS upgrade for better sound?

Thanks for comments on this
bigsmile_face.gif

NB

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nbaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,

I am considering buying the Headroom Desktop Amp with DAC (the one with the Home module and Home Dac) and using the basic wallwart power supply that comes with it. That's about my budget for now. (But I will have the option to upgrade to the Astrodyne or DPS later).

However, I remember reading somewhere (Stereophile, I think) that for the Max and even the Home modules you "need" the DPS.

For the Desktop Amp (Home module/DAC) is this "need" a "it-will-sound-better-need" or is it a "it-will-die-and-catch-on-fire-need"?

My EE friend warned me that a lower quality PS may hurt the unit so better to go with the DPS right away. I can't imagine Headroom would be selling the units with power supplies that may cause problems or are inadequate from an electrical point of view.

So would the Desktop Amp (Home module/DAC) be safe with the basic Wallwart for a year or so before getting the Astrodyne or DPS upgrade for better sound?

Thanks for comments on this
bigsmile_face.gif

NB

That is perfectly safe. You will be running close to the maximum sustained output of the power supply, but that in itself is not an issue.

You do not 'need' the Astrodyne or the DPS in this configuration, you will simply not be getting the maximum possible sound quality from the system.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is perfectly safe.

Yeah, wut he said.
atsmile.gif

(Thanks, Daniel.
thumb.gif
)

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks guys! Hearing that from an expert and the vendor himself definitely makes me feel better about going the wallwart route first before a power supply upgrade.

Now I have to go inform the family more equipment "might" be in the living room soon.
icon10.gif

Thanks

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 5
I've got the Ultra Micro DAC and Micro Amp both running off the wallwarts, and they sound fine.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nice to know the Astro's an upgrade in the future though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back