Walkman Z v. Ipod Touch 4G
May 30, 2012 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

suburbanite

100+ Head-Fier
I ask because I'm in the market for a PMP... again.

I would really like to read from someone who's had both and can compare:
  1. Sound
  2. Equalization features
  3. Web browsing

I'd be especially interested if someone can compare or at least opine on IOS Dolphin browser v. Android Dolphin Browser because Dolphin has become the only browser I use on my Android phone after having tried Firefox and both versions of Opera.

Even if someone hasn't had both but has used both, I'd still be interested in your input.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 10
The Sony Z walkmen has better soundquality with more volume and EQ work better(cleaner) than iPod touch 4G. The web browosing is snappier on Sony and it's screen is large and vibrant. Overall very good experience with Z walkmen because they offers crisp, clear soundquality, has WM-Port(lineout) to add AMPs, HDMI port, faster web browonsing, EQ.

May 31, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I ask because I'm in the market for a PMP... again.

I would really like to read from someone who's had both and can compare:
  1. Sound
  2. Equalization features
  3. Web browsing

I'd be especially interested if someone can compare or at least opine on IOS Dolphin browser v. Android Dolphin Browser because Dolphin has become the only browser I use on my Android phone after having tried Firefox and both versions of Opera.

Even if someone hasn't had both but has used both, I'd still be interested in your input.

smily_headphones1.gif

sound: for me, comparing the ipt4 with the Z would make the ipt4 sound dull and lifeless. ymmv

eq features: the Z wins on this one as it has different sound enhancements and has a graphic eq, unlike ipt4 which you need to buy an app if you want to use the eq. using preset in the ipt4 can sometimes clip the sound coming from your headphones.

web browsing: i'd say both are pretty much the same. i could be wrong though.

May 31, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 10
When somebody tells that A sounds better than B it would be great if he could tell why. Better frequency response ? less distortion ? less crosstalk? less output impedance? headphones used?

Because now i could say that iPod Touch 4 sounds far better than the Sony Z since my blessed ears tell me so. But i'd say that iTouch 4 has less distortion, less crosstalk, less output impedance thus hardware wise has a better headphone out.And unless you are a fan of eq and other dsps you'll be fine with the iT4. Not to mention the huge aftermarket that it has (speaker docks, hifis...)

May 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
When somebody tells that A sounds better than B it would be great if he could tell why. Better frequency response ? less distortion ? less crosstalk? less output impedance? headphones used?

Because now i could say that iPod Touch 4 sounds far better than the Sony Z since my blessed ears tell me so. But i'd say that iTouch 4 has less distortion, less crosstalk, less output impedance thus hardware wise has a better headphone out.And unless you are a fan of eq and other dsps you'll be fine with the iT4. Not to mention the huge aftermarket that it has (speaker docks, hifis...)

The Sony Z series walkmen has dadicated AMPs and they sound more transparent, crisp, clear and has better instruments separation with wide soundstage. The IPT4 sound congested, less detailed to me when i compared with Z walkmen(used only headphones out). BTW both even improve with external AMPs help because both has lineout(Sony Z has lineout through WM-port).

May 31, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

i own an ipod touch 4th gen, and i got to loan a z1060 for a good one week so i should say what i hear. i dont look into graphs as my ears will decide what i hear. maybe the ipod sounds great or better to you than the sony Z, but that opinion is for you. i hope you are saying that the ipod is better if you actually hear the Z. not by looking at graphs and technical terms that a newbie can't understand.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 10
I've listened to an european unit. And it has such a big hole in the treble that renders my UM3x tweeter useless. The kind of hole that afterwards i could see on a graph.Because graphs go they are useful to predict the sound. Actually engineering is based on numbers not on esoteric assesments.

And graphs and ears use to get well together. That's why iBasso DX100 and iPhones are so appreciated subjectively and being their graphs are stunningly good.

Thus if you hate treble you might love an european Z. Otherwise you might regret.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Well, I got a Z at my local Sony store.

I did see and consider both the Walkman Z and the Ipod Touch's respone curves. Thank you, elfary, for bringing that to this thread for player choice consideration. I favored the Ipod Touch for it's flatter response curve but still got the Z. Why?

Well, I got the Z because I (1) already have an Android phone and am used to Android, (2) have big hands and hated how the Ipod Touch 4G felt in-hand and (3) want use my PMP as a web browser. That's why the Z got my money as it:

1. Has an graphically-pleasing presentation of Android
  2. Is bigger overall and fits comfortably in hand
  3. Has a larger screen which looks wonderful despite its low pixel density

If I was used to IOS, had smaller hands and was generally more tolerant of its business card-like size, I would've gotten the Ipod Touch.

So what about sound? The synergy of the Z + the HD 25-1 ii's + lossless alternative rock and metal sound sounds awesome. Too awesome. Addicting. It sounds easily as good as my HT Omega eClaro.

What the Walkman Z also shares with the eClaro is driving power. The Z can power my DT 880 600's with the volume at only about 60%. Wow. The amp on this thign is so strong that I must use the volume limiter to protect myself from... myself.

My big problem with it so far is battery life, which has proven shockingly bad so far as I'm getting appx 2 hours while web surfing and listening to music. I don't know if I got a defective unit or if that awesome ampllifer is awesomely power-hungry.

Not sure if I'll keep the device if it continues to show such poor battery life.

Any more thoughts from others who hang-wrung on which of these two devices to get? What did you decide? Why?

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I've listened to an european unit. And it has such a big hole in the treble that renders my UM3x tweeter useless. The kind of hole that afterwards i could see on a graph.Because graphs go they are useful to predict the sound. Actually engineering is based on numbers not on esoteric assesments.

And graphs and ears use to get well together. That's why iBasso DX100 and iPhones are so appreciated subjectively and being their graphs are stunningly good.

Thus if you hate treble you might love an european Z. Otherwise you might regret.

I believe the European unit is to blame here.  I once owned the European, American, and Asian Sony A86X at the same time and the European unit had noticeably inferior sonics than both the Asian & American units.  Despite the volume limitation issues, the European unit was harsher in the upper midrange onward with less explosives throughout the dynamics range than the other two units during the direct comparison.  

I don't know what Sony did to the Euro units but they don't sound identical to my ears to my other units.  I also own an iPod Touch 4G at that time and I could see why you may prefer the Ipod Touch 4G over the Euro walkman Z.  Of course the iPod stands no chance in sound quality department compared to my US version of my Walkman Z & A.   Please note that the A use the same digital amplification to the Z walkman.  The Z and A do sound slightly different but both are at the same level of quality.  Comparison was made using my JH13pro.

Quote:
Well, I got a Z at my local Sony store.

I did see and consider both the Walkman Z and the Ipod Touch's respone curves. Thank you, elfary, for bringing that to this thread for player choice consideration. I favored the Ipod Touch for it's flatter response curve but still got the Z. Why?

Well, I got the Z because I (1) already have an Android phone and am used to Android, (2) have big hands and hated how the Ipod Touch 4G felt in-hand and (3) want use my PMP as a web browser. That's why the Z got my money as it:

1. Has an graphically-pleasing presentation of Android
  2. Is bigger overall and fits comfortably in hand
  3. Has a larger screen which looks wonderful despite its low pixel density

If I was used to IOS, had smaller hands and was generally more tolerant of its business card-like size, I would've gotten the Ipod Touch.

So what about sound? The synergy of the Z + the HD 25-1 ii's + lossless alternative rock and metal sound sounds awesome. Too awesome. Addicting. It sounds easily as good as my HT Omega eClaro.

What the Walkman Z also shares with the eClaro is driving power. The Z can power my DT 880 600's with the volume at only about 60%. Wow. The amp on this thign is so strong that I must use the volume limiter to protect myself from... myself.

My big problem with it so far is battery life, which has proven shockingly bad so far as I'm getting appx 2 hours while web surfing and listening to music. I don't know if I got a defective unit or if that awesome ampllifer is awesomely power-hungry.

Not sure if I'll keep the device if it continues to show such poor battery life.

Any more thoughts from others who hang-wrung on which of these two devices to get? What did you decide? Why?

Like Dyaems, I much prefer the Walkman Z.  I found the Z to have much stronger amp section.  The Z has much stronger dynamics ranging from bass to treble.  The iPod Touch 4G isn't bad sounding but next to Z it is more 2-D sounding and reserved.  Just like you I was quite impressed with the way the Z ability to power full size headphones.  

Your battery rating is quite strange.  I always able get close to the rated capacity and was never of an issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back