Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Jan 9, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #61 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And your post "looks" like you decided to base judgement on something it is clear you have not tried. What is your point? And why would it be undomfortable? It has nothing touching your ears and a regular headband. To me that sounds better.

Read up on the K1000. It is one of the few headphones that can have the term "fabled" rightly attached to it (IM (and many others) HO, or course).

Note that I have heard it for all of 1 minute, but that in that time I ascertained two things: Comfort was ok, sound was very good, however brief an impression I got. Not rigorous by any means, but enough to make me set it as my endgame headphone. I would love for it to be commercially available.

-Nkk

wait, so they dont look like this when you're wearing them?

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #62 of 228
The K701 and the Grados suffer from the same condition, which is fatal to some and practically nonexistent to others. The open sound lets the bass leak out. It's an intentional design flaw because both cans strip away a lot of resonance while letting the bass get away. The result is a very clean, detailed sound but one that can't command a very booming bass presentation (assuming you'd want one).

So, how do you get such clarity but also get decent bass? You buy an amp, a good one, preferably one that boosts the bass in a relatively clean way. Distortion in bass is less critical an issue than at the higher frequencies. The LF waves that would appeal to a basshead are not the kind one can make out very clearly to begin with. They're long and slow. They work just fine in mono because they're multidirectional and awfullly hard to hold up in stereo. If you want a clean, tight, controlled bass, you probably don't need overkill. But if you're listening to something with more of a club mix than a concert-hall arrangement, bass boost does a good job of looping and multiplying the frequencies within its crossover cutoff. I'm not sure what needs amplification beyond 100 Hz. The rest is fine as it is.

Purists will complain that this is a violation of the integrity of the original track. But so is the loss of that bass out the back door of an open-air design. Bass boost is the attempt to compensate for signal loss. To be sure, I'm speaking as one who values the upper register more than the low-low floor, the sub-100 Hz finger of God. Most of what I listen for is well covered by both the Grados and the K-701s, just as it would be with a pair of Magnepans. But as owners of Maggies know, you don't get deep bass out of an open-air speaker. You get a more transparent presentation. For that deep and slamming full-bodied bass, you either go back to cave cans or boost the bass signal to fill out the low end.

I don't lose much sleep worrying about it.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #63 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they just make a more tonally accomplished K701. Soundstage, detail, dynamics, extension, placement, depth, etc. is all there, but they could do with a more pleasant (and more 'real') tone. Out of a neutral amp, everything sounds like it's recorded in a concrete room. That's not neutral, that's fake. So I hope they fix that, because I really like AKG's.

Maybe it'll be a bit like a high resolution K601 then
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #64 of 228
I'm one of the fans of the AKG K-701. I'm sensitive to sibilance and have not had an issue with that on most of my music. And with the few recordings that do have that issue, the Senn 650 fixes that for the most part. There are some songs that are hopeless and nothing can them.

If I were to have any say into a new flagship AKG, it would be to build upon the 701/2. Add a little more detail. Add some depth to the soundstage that has width so it will give more of a sense of dimension. Add more bass below 100hz (about 3-5 db) while keeping it's articulate nature. I'm not sure I'd want to add much warmth to the mids for fear of losing that precious detail I want so much of. Would I like them to have added dynamics? Sure, but at what cost? More speed wouldn't hurt to a already fast 'phone. I'm hoping to add to the strengths and not change the nature of them.

Oh yeah, while they're at it, tweak the aesthetic so it looks unique but still has a family bloodline and do something to make them more comfortable. Seriously, are those bumps really necessary?

I haven't been willing to spend the mega bucks on the flagships that have been released in the past year or so. No matter how excellent they are. A headphone that takes the 701/2 and improves upon it in a consequential way would be something I could empty my wallet for.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #65 of 228
After about a year and a half, i'm still loving my K701s... I haven't experienced any of the problems some of the posters in this thread had...

Anyway, hopefully a new flagship is on the way, considering that in the personal audio section of AKG's website they have removed the section for "wired" headphones (which had the 701, 601 and 500 Series Phones)...

AKG Personal Audio

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #66 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"If you do not like them just move on..."

Also tell that to all the hypocrites that like to trash the k701/2 every chance they get!

beerchug.gif
Good Point!!! I really never understand the point of complaining endlessly about a product that other persons love... You don't like it, fine, buy something else... we all have different tastes...

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #67 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After about a year and a half, i'm still loving my K701s... I haven't experienced any of the problems some of the posters in this thread had...

Anyway, hopefully a new flagship is on the way, considering that in the personal audio section of AKG's website they have removed the section for "wired" headphones (which had the 701, 601 and 500 Series Phones)...

AKG Personal Audio

Yes, K701, K601... just disappeared, weird. But look at those ear buds(ridiculously K340 is among them), seems AKG gives up personal hifi headphones

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #69 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AKG Personal Audio

Still seeing the K701 & K601 on the AKG Europe site. No K702 though.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #71 of 228
They dont need to present new flagship model with unreasonable pricing like others and akg k702 and k601 are great 'phones already, it would much better if they would get k1000 on production line again with better comfort and colour variations !

Akg k702 is on pro site.

Quote:
Still seeing the K701 & K601 on the AKG Europe site. No K702 though.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #73 of 228

Quote:

Also tell that to all the hypocrites that like to trash the k701/2 every chance they get!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of how a headphone sounds... That's why this forum exists. The faster you understand that most audiophiles will have a varied take on what the perfect headphone is, the better!

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #74 of 228
I believe jaycalgary was commenting on the post above his....

Quote:
Quote:
jaycalgary said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of how a headphone sounds... That's why this forum exists. The faster you understand that most audiophiles will have a varied take on what the perfect headphone is, the better!

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #75 of 228

Quote:

Opinions are one thing, but I think what most people don't appreciate are comments that trash a particular product with vague or generalized comments.  Here is an example:

- I think that the HD650 has a weaker and less detailed high-end than the K701's.  (OK, cool that's a respectful opinion)

- I think that the K701's have a weaker and less detailed high-end than the HD650's. (an opposite opinion, but a good subjective opinion nonetheless)

- The best thing to do is either buy both, or listen to them both and see which you like the best of the two.  (good opinion, the happy median)

- Anyone that buys a K701 is wasting their money.  Everyone knows that the HD650's are the best.  (an opinion yes, but one that is not helpful or conducive to ones wanting to make a purchase).  I hope comments like these are not the reason why this forum exists.  I'd rather watch Jerry Springer if that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back