Waiting for New AKG Flagship Headphones
Oct 23, 2009 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 228

wots

New Head-Fier
In anticipation of an announcement by AKG of a new model to supersede its fabled 700 series, I have delayed purchase of new headphones. I suspect one is in the works to compete against the Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1. Thanks for any information on a new flagship series from AKG.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 228
I just hope it's not another in their long line of painted and renamed K401's...
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 228
Some similar threads, with information from AKG.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/nex...agship-431729/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/que...dphone-445718/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/let...-k1000-435161/

More specific:
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From this thread...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/let...-k1000-435161/

Email:
Quote:

Hi,
I am a huge fan of your K1000 headphone. Which sadly went out of production some 3 1/2 years ago, without getting a successor.
Sad to say, but the K701/K702 is not up to its sound quality level.

Now that your competitors Sennheiser, Grado and Ultrasone have announced/released new top-of-the-line models I sure hope you have something up the sleeve as well. If not, I ask you kindly to consider it.
Either by reviving the K1000, which in my opinion are up there sound wise, or come up with a worthy successor.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for taking the time reading this email.

Best regards
xxx

Answer:
Quote:

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for contacting AKG and for your friendly words about our K 1000.
We plan to launch a successor of the K 701 in foreseeable time, possibly CES 2010.

Kind regards

Horst Werner
AKG hotline
hotline@akg.com

So there are hopes for a new 'phone at CES 2010, in January.
Sadly does not seem like we will see a K1000 successor or revival.
frown.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 228
Many were expecting some $300 ~ $500 phones from Senn or Beyer but disappointed because HD800 and T1 are out of their reach.
If AKG introduce something at $300 ~ $500 in addition to a $1000+ flagship, it's going to sell like hot cakes
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by wots /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...its fabled 700 series....

Alright, you're new, so I'll go easy.

If you haven't read the threads, the K-701/2 is actively disliked by a lot of us. I think AKG made a New Coke/Edsel sized misstep by dumping the truly excellent K-1000 and "replacing" it with the K-701. For me, the K-701 was unlistenable and compares poorly to every high-end headphone AKG has made.

If anything, a new model should be an apology for the K-701/2 and a humble attempt to match the quality of the K-1000.

And, yes, I am still a fan of AKG. One bad product will not turn me away from a company. I would be pleased to buy a new AKG flagship if it sounds good.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 228
The AKG that offered the affordable K501 alongside the aspirational K1000 is the AKG I'd like to see take market share from Sennheiser, a company that has shown what it thinks of less affluent end of its customer base by offering them mediocrity at inflated prices. When you look at what Beyerdynamic/AT/Grado and others can do for the price of a pair of HD595s, the mind boggles. Sennheiser clearly know how to make headphones - no question - but its either caviar or turnips in their kitchen.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #10 of 228
My wish for a future AKG flagship headphone would be something quite close to the K1000.
Surprise, surprise...
wink.gif
k1000smile.gif

Pretty much keep all the pros from the K1000:
* Midrange
* Treble
* Sound stage
* Air
* Fully open design
* Speaker amplifier requirement
* 4-pin XLR termination

...but improve the:
* Bass extension

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 228
krm, I think you've described pretty much everyone's ideal headphone, but what would that cost - are we talking another Orpheus here ?
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 228
I always think K701 is more often underrate because it's price.

Unlike most headphone, It's do very well in "pure piston-motion"

And that's very help in Solid sound image & pinpoint location.

Sometimes i find K701's mid lack some "character"

TO me this kind of "character" is more like a benchmark than enjoyment , so i finally goes to DT990.

If AKG have new flagship, i guess it's may still going the same "accurate & neutral" side.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 228
Hmm, so far with my time with the K701, they're okay. I haven't had much time with many other cans but... From as far as I can gather, you really -have- to pair an ultra-warm & quite bassy amp with these... which in saying that changes the sound signiature of the AKGs. You'll be listening to your amp and not the cans.
I find sometimes i'm not really in the mood for them so eh. Might see if i can trade them with my mates' HD650s sometime.

However, will be interesting to see what they release
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, you're new, so I'll go easy.

If you haven't read the threads, the K-701/2 is actively disliked by a lot of us. I think AKG made a New Coke/Edsel sized misstep by dumping the truly excellent K-1000 and "replacing" it with the K-701. For me, the K-701 was unlistenable and compares poorly to every high-end headphone AKG has made.

If anything, a new model should be an apology for the K-701/2 and a humble attempt to match the quality of the K-1000.

And, yes, I am still a fan of AKG. One bad product will not turn me away from a company. I would be pleased to buy a new AKG flagship if it sounds good.

...and ironically you seem to love sennheiser's k701 wannabe headphone.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wish for a future AKG flagship headphone would be something quite close to the K1000.
Surprise, surprise...
wink.gif
k1000smile.gif

Pretty much keep all the pros from the K1000:
* Midrange
* Treble
* Sound stage
* Air
* Fully open design
* Speaker amplifier requirement
* 4-pin XLR termination

...but improve the:
* Bass extension

If only it were possible. My headphone journey would end right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back