Wait, if I only plan on listening to mp3's then...
Jun 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MagellanR14

100+ Head-Fier
I am about to buy the Cowon Z2 but if I don't plan on listening to .flac files and only .mp3 files should I just go with an ipod nano with an amp or rockboxed sandisk sansa fuze? The files size of .flac is too high and I cannot find all my music that is currently .mp3 readily in .flac.
Also, how can I get the most quality out of my mp3 files?

Thanks a lot guys.

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 12
I have several iDevices, and a Sanza Clip +, and an Andriod tablet.  I find the experience of using the iDevices far superior to the Andriod or Sanza Clip +.  The audio performance of the Clip is fine, managing it is clunky at best.  The Andriod experience is half-baked.

Any of the devices will present your .mp3 files just fine.  If you're not already invested in FLAC, there's no reason to start. If you did get a FLAC file, it's easily converted to ALC with no loss.  

If I were starting from your position, I'd get the Nano, and enjoy the user experience.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 12
So I would be better off getting an ipod and an amp that a nice Cowon Z2 per se if I am only playing MP3 files.

Does that mean the Cowon will simply give little to no justice to mp3's?

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
So I would be better off getting an ipod and an amp that a nice Cowon Z2 per se if I am only playing MP3 files.

Does that mean the Cowon will simply give little to no justice to mp3's?

I have no experience with the Cowon Z2, so I can't speak to any advantage it may have.  The review I read on this forum was only personal opinion, no actual tests.  It may be just fine.  MP3 present very little challenge to any player, should be the easiest to deal with.  At the price though, I'd definitely get an iPod.   

A player has just a few things to do.  It has to store all the music you want, have good audio quality, and be easy to deal with operationally, including sync with your library.  iPods do all of those things well, and more.  The Cowon has quite a good feature set, but I have found no company as focussed on the user experience as Apple.  They do know what it takes to make an easy to use device.  It's also nice, if you live hear a larger city, to walk into an Apple store and buy your player, or accessories, or talk to somebody if you have a problem.  I don't know of any Cowon stores. 

iPods have excellent amps in them that are quite capable of driving many headphones.  There may be a small advantage to have a good amp with an iPod, but only when used with certain headphones.  I'd try the iPod with no amp first, then study the impedance curve of the headphones you want to use.  If it's every low, or swings up and down a lot, an amp may be a good choice.  If the headphones need a lot of drive voltage, an amp helps too.  

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I have no experience with the Cowon Z2, so I can't speak to any advantage it may have.  The review I read on this forum was only personal opinion, no actual tests.  It may be just fine.  MP3 present very little challenge to any player, should be the easiest to deal with.  At the price though, I'd definitely get an iPod.   

A player has just a few things to do.  It has to store all the music you want, have good audio quality, and be easy to deal with operationally, including sync with your library.  iPods do all of those things well, and more.  The Cowon has quite a good feature set, but I have found no company as focussed on the user experience as Apple.  They do know what it takes to make an easy to use device.  It's also nice, if you live hear a larger city, to walk into an Apple store and buy your player, or accessories, or talk to somebody if you have a problem.  I don't know of any Cowon stores. 

iPods have excellent amps in them that are quite capable of driving many headphones.  There may be a small advantage to have a good amp with an iPod, but only when used with certain headphones.  I'd try the iPod with no amp first, then study the impedance curve of the headphones you want to use.  If it's every low, or swings up and down a lot, an amp may be a good choice.  If the headphones need a lot of drive voltage, an amp helps too.  

Thanks for the very informative response. The pros of the Cowon, specifically the Z2, is it has expandable memory which Apple's ipods do not provide. Also, Cowons have really nice EQ's which I want to make my expensive IEMs perfect. But with all that said, do you still think an ipod is better if I am not invested in .flac for my music?

thanks

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for the very informative response. The pros of the Cowon, specifically the Z2, is it has expandable memory which Apple's ipods do not provide. Also, Cowons have really nice EQ's which I want to make my expensive IEMs perfect. But with all that said, do you still think an ipod is better if I am not invested in .flac for my music?

thanks

If you get get at least a iPod Touch, you can use the Audyssey amp app for EQ, which frankly is way better and more accurate than what anyone could ever do by themselves.  

Memory limits will always be an issue, but if you use a memory-based iPod (as opposed to the Classic), sync is fast, and you can throw huge sections of your library back and forth.  I really don't think 32gig is a limit that would bother most people. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
If you get get at least a iPod Touch, you can use the Audyssey amp app for EQ, which frankly is way better and more accurate than what anyone could ever do by themselves.  

Memory limits will always be an issue, but if you use a memory-based iPod (as opposed to the Classic), sync is fast, and you can throw huge sections of your library back and forth.  I really don't think 32gig is a limit that would bother most people. 

Alright, thanks. You have been a big help

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 12
I have had a Cowon J3 for more than 3 years now, and it is fantastic -- the EQ/dig. sound processor is the best I've heard and very clean, no distortion at all, and with lots of customizable options.  Newer Cowons use the same sound processing.

My experience with iPod is that the SQ is OK, but limited in options.

BTW, I use MediaMonkey free version, not Windows Media Player for my MP3 library to sync to the J3.  

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I have had a Cowon J3 for more than 3 years now, and it is fantastic -- the EQ/dig. sound processor is the best I've heard and very clean, no distortion at all, and with lots of customizable options.  Newer Cowons use the same sound processing.

My experience with iPod is that the SQ is OK, but limited in options.

BTW, I use MediaMonkey free version, not Windows Media Player for my MP3 library to sync to the J3.  

Yeah, WMP sucks for music management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back