Wadia 170 iTransport+Ipod or (USB)DAC?
Nov 4, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Damn, I told myself i won't need the Wadia 170iTransport + IPod (I currently don't have one, because I HATE ITunes - yes, tried it several times) but since I have seen and read about the Wadia I am not sure how long I can resist
smily_headphones1.gif

OTOH I could get a Cambridge Audio DACMagic for about half of the money (here in germany) and could use it with my Marantz CD 72 and as a source for my computer.

But now the 350$ question: What would sound better?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Andre

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 10
Are you planning on using the analog outputs of the Wadia? If so, it's just an analog passthrough from the iPod's DAC. Its only value is as a digital transport, which needs a DAC.

Seems like there is no question here. DACmagic.

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you planning on using the analog outputs of the Wadia? If so, it's just an analog passthrough from the iPod's DAC. Its only value is as a digital transport, which needs a DAC.

Seems like there is no question here. DACmagic.

Wow, that was fast
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the clearification and yea, the DACMagic (or a used higher end DAC) will my on my list for xmas
biggrin.gif

Guess my assumption that the _iTRANSPORT_ would include a (good) DAC was really clever... if I take another look at the name of the product
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This review seems to indicate that it bypasses the iPod's dac.

It has digital out, so its quite obvious that it bypass the iPod's DAC.
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This review seems to indicate that it bypasses the iPod's dac.

Playback - August 2008

Al

Yes, it can function either as a digital transport to be used with a DAC, or as a line-out dock using the iPod's DAC.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that was fast
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the clearification and yea, the DACMagic (or a used higher end DAC) will my on my list for xmas
biggrin.gif

Guess my assumption that the _iTRANSPORT_ would include a (good) DAC was really clever... if I take another look at the name of the product
wink.gif

I'd encourage you to save your $$ and try to get your hands on both of them.

I have found that USB digital inputs do not translate 1's and 0's into music nearly so well as coax (or even toslink). I've found this to be the case many times, most recently with my HeadRoom Balanced Desktop DAC.

Don't get me wrong...a USB port won't be so bad as to be unlistenable. Quite to the contrary, they are in fact pretty good. I just find them noticeably (but not in an absolute deal-breaking way) inferior to more traditional digital inputs. I gather there's something about how data is transferred, but I don't pretend to understand it all.

BTW - I've not yet heard the DAC Magic, though I hope to obtain one of my own within the next 6 mos or so. I am assuming that the USB input is generally as well conceived as that in my HeadRoom amp/DAC. I have found that I'm getting a lot of use out of my iTransport with the HeadRoom...as much as I thought the iTransport was an innovative idea, I continue to be surprised at how much use it's getting. It's literally changing the way that I use my iPod, and I recommend it highly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 10
i've been considering the whole itransport thing, at least for some of my music collection. just getting very lazy about using CDs recently. but my G08 doesn't have a digital input, which is kind of a bummer. would have to get a new player or an external DAC.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been considering the whole itransport thing, at least for some of my music collection. just getting very lazy about using CDs recently. but my G08 doesn't have a digital input, which is kind of a bummer. would have to get a new player or an external DAC.

The Cambridge 740 and 840 CDP's and a number of other players have a digital in. If you do a search on the topic you get quite a few newer threads that point you to players that come with the option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back