WA6SE on order!!
Feb 10, 2009 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to share my excitement regarding the WA6SE I just ordered from Woo audio!!
bigsmile_face.gif
I started out my search landing on the WA6 with the parts upgrade (and Sophia tube upgrade) but Jack suggested that, with the GS1000 in particular, I go with the WA6SE with standard parts w/tube upgrade. I'm certainly willing to take his advice so now I just have 4-5 weeks of waiting.

Many thanks to head-fi for being a wonderful resource as I searched for an amplifier. There are obviously a lot of great choices out there and, in the end, I just had to go with what I thought would be the best one for me.

I'm looking forward to doing a write-up on my impressions after it arrives. I'll be very interested to see how the HD650's and GS1000's compare using this amp.

The next frontier will be a source upgrade but I've been pleased with the DacMagic so far. It's certainly not the last word in resolution but it has proved to be very musical.

I went with black because that's what appealed to me visually. However, I've always been worried about the black long-term (scratches, scuffs, etc). In the end I had to go with what gave me the most pleasure now...who knows what the future holds!

Cheers,
John

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 28
congrats. The Woo 6SE is really one of the most impressive amps I have heard. I liked it better than the Woo 2 in terms of sound. It's a bargain too compared to other amps. I consider that particualr amp to easily be in a top tier category.

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 28
Thanks for the support everyone! I'm going to be reciting "patience is a virtue" for the next four weeks...
biggrin.gif

I've so enjoyed the thoughtfully written reviews on this site...I'm looking forward to adding one myself!

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jack suggested that, with the GS1000 in particular, I go with the WA6SE with standard parts w/tube upgrade.

Good choice. You will really appreciate the low impedance jack with your GS1000's. If the volumes match reasonably well, don't be afraid to run both phones at the same time. I do it all the time with my two pair, and it is really nice to be able to share the sound with someone.

Enjoy the music!
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the volumes match reasonably well, don't be afraid to run both phones at the same time. I do it all the time with my two pair, and it is really nice to be able to share the sound with someone.

Enjoy the music!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing this experience because I'm excited about the possibility of running the HD650/GS1000 combo together to "share the sound" as you say. It will certainly be interesting to see how the volume matching goes!

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 28
Congrats on your new purchase! Woo not only makes great amplifiers, they're a great company to deal with.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 28
Jack is the best. Always has the right advice, based on solid knowledge and what seems to be a real love of his work.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 28
Damn!! I'm jealous. I've been eyeing the WA6SE for a while now with a bib tied around my neck. Congrats man I'm happy for you.

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 28
I've been secretly envying Woo amps, but trying desparately to hold back. I'm very jealous.

Good for you though!!

Feb 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 28
I spent last night rearranging gear to make a "prime real estate" spot for the amp on the top shelf. I'm dreaming of a darkened room, "Et incarnatus est" from Mozart's Great Mass, the GS1000's, and the glowing Sophia tube...sounds like heaven!

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 28
Congrats, I was thinking of getting a WA6 SE myself but now I am very close to buying a WA5 LE instead. Woo makes great amps! I am sure that you will be very happy with the WA6 SE.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back